Want to get a WP device but has some concerns

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I was originally a Nokia N8 user.
Then, I was given a Galaxy S3 from my father, so I have been using it for about a month now. After I realized how bad the Galaxy S3 camera is, I feel like I need to go back to a Nokia device again with a beautiful Carl Zeiss lens (L1020). But there are somethings I am not sure about WP8 right now.

1) Battery Life: My Galaxy S3 lasts 10-12 hrs with minimal calling, and about an hour of web surfing and music playback. This does not work very well for me on my longer weekdays, and this is part of the reason I want to get a new device.
So how is the battery life with the L1020? I see the poll on here in which the majority of users are reporting "random battery drain". I also saw it mentioned in the pocketnow review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2_GA-fkAak
So what is the true battery life on the Lumia 1020?
Although the Gsmarena battery test result is pretty good: The Nokia Lumia 1020 battery test - GSMArena Blog

- Also, if I ever have to replace the battery, I am guessing it is not possible? (Considering that there is not a single Nokia Support Center in Canada, where I live).

2) Volume Bug
I read on allaboutwindowsphone.com that there is a critical volume bug with windows phones right now?
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/19395_Waiting_for_Windows_Phone_81-t.php

Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgnCTigCXOE

I also read that there is a singular volume control for the whole phone, so that means if I increase the call volume to maximum during a phone call, then I listen to a song afterwards without checking the volume, and my ear drums explode?
Could someone clarify what the volume bug is like? and the singular control for the whole volume?

3) I also read some people saying that it is not possible to download a video from an email, or attach multiple photos to an email? Is this still the case?

Other than that, I would be pretty happy with another Nokia even though I am pretty mad about the fact that their support for Symbian devices sucked

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
battery life is very good yes, should last you at least a day if not 3 if you don't use it a lot.
call volume and the system volume are actually separate. call volume goes 0-10 while system volume 0-30. so no your ears won't explode.
I haven't experience the volume bug so it doesn't seems very widespread.

you can attach multiple photos, just select them all in the camera app and share to email.
random battery drains are old issues from badly designed apps. haven't had that since a year ago.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I've never used a galaxy, but I hear its great. If you want simple with technical undertone, windows is your phone. It may lack apps and some unique features that Samsung has created, but who really uses face recognition software every day? Its a realistic smartphone. I enjoy it alot. If you want instagram, I'd suggest 6tag. In my opinion, its so much better. I'd test it out first. Go to your provider and play with it. Its completely different. I used to have an android device. My opinion isn't bias.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I've never used a galaxy, but I hear its great. If you want simple with technical undertone, windows is your phone. It may lack apps and some unique features that Samsung has created, but who really uses face recognition software every day? Its a realistic smartphone. I enjoy it alot. If you want instagram, I'd suggest 6tag. In my opinion, its so much better. I'd test it out first. Go to your provider and play with it. Its completely different. I used to have an android device. My opinion isn't bias.

Yeah, I am getting used to the Galaxy now, but indoor/low light photos are absolutely horrid. And I am not even talking about artsy photos. I was just trying to take photos of written notes, so it just had to be readible. I guess after 3 years with the Nokia N8; I took its excellent photo quality for granted and expected the more modern phones to have similar cameras. While the N8 is great, I cannot justify using the 3 year old hardware for another 2 years.

I am going more for the Nokia hardware than the Windows Phone. And I am well aware of the Windows app store contents and I am fine with it. But basic functionality such as volume control and battery issues need to be addressed.

I am hearing that WP8.1 should be released soon, so I will hold out and then see what happens later on with the volume control bug.

As for the battery issue, I keep hearing mixed reviews about the 1020. Some say it is great, while others seem to complain about it. I really hope the "random battery drain" issue is addressed by now.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Yeah 8.1 should finally bring it up to speed. I would wait for the update. See if it fits your need. As for battery, I have the icon, I've used it for about 12 hours straight now and only had to charge it once. I can't put the damn thing down. I can't help you on the 1020.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon