08-08-2019 07:55 AM
31 12
tools
    Visibility/Discovery is more of a security measure to prevent unwanted pairing (as often happens in early days of smartphone to spread virus) than power usage. Even if that is turned off, your phone will still scan for device to connect if you already setup them in the connected list but not connected.
    anon(8657436) likes this.
    03-09-2014 02:14 PM
    In general, using one of them consumes battery. Idle doesn't really matter, IF they don't look for new devices/connections in the background (turn off if possible).
    Cellular consumes more because it looks for better networks all the time. If you set it on just 2G/3G it will consume less, cos it doesn't have to look for better network conection

L620 - Tapatalk
    03-09-2014 02:32 PM
    I thought it was the WiFi that drains it a lot, but depends on what's going on on your phone. I set my 5 emails on auto refresh every hr, so that drains it. Games download via WiFi too, but I have the habit of turning it on and off when ita necessary. I try to turn it on, but I also have limited WiFi. I only need a little.
    03-09-2014 02:39 PM
    Visibility/Discovery is more of a security measure to prevent unwanted pairing (as often happens in early days of smartphone to spread virus) than power usage. Even if that is turned off, your phone will still scan for device to connect if you already setup them in the connected list but not connected.
    Yeah, but it saves the energy as it is a periodic task. Try this:
    Turn off discovery and bring an earlier connected phone in range and try checking on that phone whether they get connected immediately. Kudos.

I'm not too sure about myself on that one though.
    03-29-2014 04:48 PM
    As you say that option isn't available on all devices, including my 925. However, it's settings seem to indicate that it is only in discovery mode while the Bluetooth setting page is open. So is that the equivalent of turning discovery off on the devices that have that option? And by equivalent, I am only talking about power usage, not the steps to pair a phone.

Also, aren't there different versions of Bluetooth that use power differently? And if so, do any of them change the hierarchy you listed?

TIA
    I don't know if the heirarchy changes by using different bluetooth versions.

No, I don't think that it's equivalent to turning discovery off as the phone still has to be active just in case somebody tries pairing with you.
    To make it simple, think of you in your home. People will knock at your door if they see there isn't a lock at your door and you will consume power while going to check who is it, somebody paired or unpaired. (equivalent to having discovery turned on) If you place a lock people won't bother. (equivalent to switching off discovery)

Bluetooth LE (version 4 i guess) is known for its low power consumption.
    03-29-2014 04:50 PM
    Honestly i think maybe sure the 1st gen umts lte devices werent power efficient but also we used to have control of wifi performance vs. battery saving now we dont since largely WMM APSD was introduced so were now at the mercy of the hotspot providers
    08-08-2019 07:55 AM
31 12