Email ? Gmail -> Outlook

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So, Im new to Windows Phone, I followed advise on other threads on how to forward my Gmail to my Outlook account. Now im left with a little bit of a mess on my phone, and am looking for some suggestions.

I have Gmail currently being forwarded to Outlook.com email, it automatically goes to a folder which I named GMAIL. In order to see this folder's contents on my phone, I need to tap the lower right corner (3 dots) and select folders, and then select Gmail. The contents of this folder will not show up in "All" within the Inbox. Ive found that the only way to get my Gmail account emails to show up in my "All" view is to create "Google" account in Settings/email + account, and then to link that to my inbox. This has inherently caused some issues which I need some help with.

My Outlook, and Gmail emails are both showing up in "all" view of the "Linked Inbox", but when opening a gmail email, it doesn't mark as read anywhere but on the phone. If I log into Outlook, it shows all the emails in the "Gmail" folder as being unread. If I log into Gmail, nothing in the "Inbox" shows up as read. It seems the only way to get the emails to delete, and show as read/unread is to go through the "Gmail" folder within outlook (using the 3 dots). Is there any way to just move this folder to the outlook.com inbox or to have it show up in the "all" view? It will only let me move it below inbox, and the email just come into the Gmail Folder.

Also from what ive noticed, if I delete a Gmail email from within Outlook.com, it does not delete the email from Gmail itself, only from the gmail inbox on outlook.com. My guess, as to the best way to get the mail to sync across the board would be to remove my Gmail forwarding from Outlook, and then just have the "Linked email" folder, keeping them as separate accounts (this may wind up being better, as it seems WP 8.1 will have better support for Gmail built in)

I know, this all sounds confusing, even when I re-read it all, it seems confusing, maybe someone on these boards can give me some advise on this - Im sure that I am not the only one trying to have Outlook, and Gmail co-exist in the best way possible. Im not opposed to going to Gmail.com + Outlook.com to retrieve emails, I just don't want a mess of unread emails when logging into either account - I want syncing across the board, and no duplication.

Please Help - Thank You

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Yeah, it's a little confusing. But, if you tap the three dots in Outlook email on your phone, and you see the gmail folder, tap and hold on that and select pin to start. That will at least give you separate tiles for the two emails.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why you are sending your GMail to your Outlook, but also have the GMail being checked by your phone? Typically, you set that up so your phone isn't checking several email accounts.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why you are sending your GMail to your Outlook, but also have the GMail being checked by your phone? Typically, you set that up so your phone isn't checking several email accounts.

Thanks, I also tried Metromail, but like the built in email client better, how it organizes emails, and sweeps, etc. I just want Gmail, and Outlook to show up in the same inbox, and so far the only way ive been able to do this is to link the account inboxes, which made forwarding to outlook kind of redundant. Pinning to start is an option, but it still doesn't solve why the emails are only marked as read if I go through the "Gmail" folder within outlook, and not through the Google Account - it wont mark them as read on gmail.com either.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Either set up your Google account to be a separate account on the phone, or set up Outlook.com to grab your Google emails. If you want all emails in one inbox, link the two accounts in outlook on your phone settings. If you want two inboxes on your start page, pin the google account folder to your start page.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
OK - I figured it out - I needed to configure mail forwarding on Gmail.com account - now all of my new Gmail emails go straight to my Outlook.com inbox, and all of the old emails are archived in the Gmail Folder. I don't need separation, I just want all new mail to come to my outlook inbox so I can use the sweep features, etc.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
OK - I figured it out - I needed to configure mail forwarding on Gmail.com account - now all of my new Gmail emails go straight to my Outlook.com inbox, and all of the old emails are archived in the Gmail Folder. I don't need separation, I just want all new mail to come to my outlook inbox so I can use the sweep features, etc.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

BTW, there's a setting to control if your messages are marked as read on all devices when read from a single device (on Outlook or Gmail, I don't remember). I too have done the same. I love Outlook more for it's usablility and streamlined experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mietaz