I can't clear the Temporary files

Gavin Ding

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My phone is Nokia Lumia 920, Go to Settings > Phone storage > Phone > Temporary files, and then tap Delete.
But, that is unable to delete any temporary files from my phone. Total has not diminished.

wp_20140309.png

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I have the same problem, but I solved it today.
I have Lumia 720, less than 7 GB for apps, so storage is really important thing to me.
Now what to do?
First change your date from setting to 2015 with the same day, then go to the checker and click on Clear temporary files. :)
Have a nice day ;)

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
temp files can never reach zero since there are files which are needed for OS to run , eg onedrive cache files , games files etc ,
one way to clear some is by deleting internet explorer temp files , this is the same on my Lumia 920 running gdr3+black update , it's on 341MB from Jan 2014 :)

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I have the same problem, but I solved it today.
I have Lumia 720, less than 7 GB for apps, so storage is really important thing to me.
Now what to do?
First change your date from setting to 2015 with the same day, then go to the checker and click on Clear temporary files. :)
Have a nice day ;)

I second that, cause it is also the only thing that worked for me.

Kind of getting used to these silly workarounds on WP devices by now...

Checki

Banned
Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Why workaround. You need temp and cache for the system to work! There will never be 0 temp files!!! Space is there to be used!

L620 - Tapatalk

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but android users like to clear all that out, so they can have lags and freezes:evil:

Then why have I never used an android device ? In other words, that theory of yours doesn't really hold up. :winktongue:

I'd say most ppl would rather free up as much space as possible. So they want those temp files cleared aswel, not realising that there usually are at least a few apps that will keep their needed temp files in use and they can't be "cleared".

And then also why, if temp files cannot be "cleared", why oh why do they add the option to do just that ?
Kind of contradictory, no ?

It never hurts the system at all if you clear temp files, but indeed the apps that have files in temporary use at that time, they will simply be loaded back into the temporary memory right after you clear them. And that is indeed why temp files will (ALMOST) never actually be "0".

Best "tip" I can give you guys is to clear the cache files from the few apps that store cache.

To do that is simple for the common in-house apps that store cache :

Go to settings->applications

There you will find the following apps that have a "delete history" button within these settings :

Internet Explorer
Maps
Search

They won't clear all temp files, but in my case it did make a 60% difference...
Can't guarantee the same results for everyone, so don't come complaning if it does nothing for you ;-)

Then if you want to be picky, go to "background tasks" and disable all but the ones you really need enabled (in my temp that cleared only about 1MB after a reboot, so actually won't make a difference).

One method I do know of that works (for a very brief moment at least), is a hard reset :winktongue: ...

LWP

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem as first poster although I have 1GB temp files that I'm unable to delete. Also tried to change my date into 2015 and still nothing.

Gavin Ding

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem as first poster although I have 1GB temp files that I'm unable to delete. Also tried to change my date into 2015 and still nothing.
There is a way to delete temp files:
​settings > flick to applications > Internet Explorer > delete history

LWP

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Internet exp. temp files are different than "temp files". "temp files" also contain podcast files etc., Internet explorer temp files do not.

Dafter

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Problem solved, I rebooted my phone few times and cleared temporary files twice, there's now ~500Mb of them so that's normal I guess.
Thanks anyway! :)

EvoLuTioNHeaVy

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem...

I also noticed that I also have 2.5 GB of photo usage but I deleted all my photos...
Nokia storage and other Nokia setting don't work 😣

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Manually change your date to the year 2050, say ok and leave your phone be for AT LEAST 20 minutes. That'll get rid of a whole hell of a lot of them. Then after the reduction, just enable the set automatically tab again. Easy Peasy!!

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Manually change your date to the year 2050, say ok and leave your phone be for AT LEAST 20 minutes. That'll get rid of a whole hell of a lot of them. Then after the reduction, just enable the set automatically tab again. Easy Peasy!!

Thanks, never knew that.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Another tip. I had cleared about 350mb out of my 1.1 gb of others this way.
The os keeps cached copies of your images so that they load fast. I took out my sd card (which was backed up), formatted it with an sd card reader (you can use any non Lumia phone too), and then without reinserting it, i turned on my phone, let it remain for a while. Let it forget all about my music and photos (which included artist images which had been changed, old album art no longer needed, images cache temporary files). Clicked a few pics and stored them on the phone memory.
(i should think that changing the year to 2050 and a few restarts should also do the same as above)
Then i copied all my stuff back. Got a lot of space free, but cant guarantee it'd work for everyone or not.
Disclaimer: i had formatted my memory card this way (via phone is useless) to get rid of duplicates in my music library, and now i have every photo's triplicate in my hub, so dont blame me for duplicates ! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb