Friends still sending messages through iMessage

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I followed the steps to turn off iMessage including calling Apple support to deregister my number. I even ran my iPhone for 4 days with it turned off.

For some reason most of my iOs friends still show the blue message bubble and the messages are not coming to me. The worst part is that the message doesn't even show up as undelivered.

Any advice for how to fix this? I've had my Icon for 3 days and this might be the deal breaker if I can't fix it even though it isn't MS or Nokia's fault.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't know much about iOS, but can't you just delete your Apple account entirely? If not, get your friends to 'unfriend' you. If you have suitable local laws protecting your data, you can tell Apple you now refuse permission for them to retain any of your information. This will force their data controller to delete everything they have on you which should impact the issue I imagine.

LqDFx

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Do you only have an iPhone that you used for iMessage? I ask because my girlfriend had the same problem. When she turned off the iMessage on the iPhone everything was good for a couple days... That is till she powered in the iPad and it changed the imessage settings right back.

Sent from my Lumia1520 using Tapatalk

LqDFx

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Another quick thought, if they have your contact number as iPhone vs mobile, it will try iMessage first.

Sent from my Lumia1520 using Tapatalk

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
The fact is, once you buy in to iOS, they want to make it difficult for you to leave. IMessage really causes problems when you switch to another phone.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I my wife and daughter inherited my iPads after a hard reset. I wonder if they are still registered somehow. I'll check my Apple account and see if they still show up.

Thanks for the advice!

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone was still showing up on my account but that was all. I deregistered it from my account completely and now it shows undeliverable when people try to message me and they can click and send as SMS one time which seems to work for good.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm hoping this resolves it for good.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I think it was people that had my email address listed. Apple still assumed I had an iPhone and tried sending it through iMessage based on my email address.

I still have the iPhone. I wonder what will happen when I swap my sim in again.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like the idea that Apple products 'just work' is a double edged sword. Once working, it's a devil of a job to stop them again. Don't switch the sim back, now it's sleeping best not to prod the beast.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I need a good waterproof case for my Icon. My main plan for using my iPhone is boating and the beach with either my Lifeproof or Incepio Atlas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs