iMessage-like capability for Windows Phone

alex_froilan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
So I've been reading the forums for a bit, and came across this thread and I thought to myself, why not? What I have found today is the same functionality (kind of) already present in WP8. I honestly do not know how iMessage works between Apple platforms, it must be something to do with iMessage using your Apple account to sync across devices. But in this case with WP8, it actually works with Bluetooth. Yes it's old technology used by older phones (Symbian), but with the right software, things can be done. I managed to connect my 925 to my laptop (for the first time), and it prompted me a whole lot of pop-ups regarding use of Bluetooth Services with the phone.

These are the services that can be used by the computer.
Capture.PNG

And these are the other windows.

Contacts. No contact photo support but oh well.
Contacts.PNG

Dialer. It works.
Dial.PNG

Call Log. Call logs are synced.
Call Log.PNG

Receiving a call. No caller ID is displayed (maybe because the number I was calling from had the caller ID turned off). The second picture is a notification of the incoming call.
calling.png
notif.png

Media Player (like DLNA). The phone really plays music, like with the interface and all, but instead the sound is redirected to the PC speakers.
Play.PNG

Main window.
Main.PNG

So as you can see, the iMessage-like capability can easily be done with WP, via Bluetooth, with the right software. Although the software doesn't seem to support SMS capability, but it happily does calls and handles them very well including audio in/out.

Last edited:

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
There is nothing like imsg here , this is just a normal Bluetooth connection made btw your phone and your laptop/pc
Imsg is message service for iPhone,iPod,iPad and Mac which either works on wifi or normal msg charges , it uses your Apple ID , FaceTime does the same , the msgs are synced via iCloud service and then are synced across Mac,and other idevice.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
^^ thanks for that captain obvious, he did say that the connection was made with bluetooth.

Where'd you get the software? I connected mine with bluetooth and it did nothing. Really interested with the call function, it's like when you reach your office you can just call from the computer.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
^^ thanks for that captain obvious, he did say that the connection was made with bluetooth.

Where'd you get the software? I connected mine with bluetooth and it did nothing. Really interested with the call function, it's like when you reach your office you can just call from the computer.

You don't need any software , btw I use windows 8.1 and the default Bluetooth drivers were preinstalled in my laptop. Just turn on Bluetooth and both the device , pair them and you will get the same

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree it is not what iMessage is about. OP simply has no clue what iMessage is. iMessage is a unified messaging plafform that let you use the same software to message your buddy regardless which means they can be reached, message chat, email or SMS via iCloud. Google now tries to catchup with similar offering in its Hangout. Microsoft will probably settle on Skype for the same thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad