yes! another storage bug?

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
so I was wondering why my lumia 1020 kept losing available space...even when I use the various cleanup tools by nokia etc.

DEVICE: Lumia 1020. WP 8.0, ATT updates and firmware.
BUG: Videos left on device taking on space even after you delete them.
Process:
-be on wifi.
-setup skydrive/onedrive to backup your videos... That will be in the auto upload button near the bottom of the photos and camera settings. choose wifi and best quality.
-take a video of about 30 seconds to a minute.
-stop the video, immediately go to the pictures hub to find the video. delete the video. you should see an error show up about onedrive/skydrive uploading. off course you deleted it before it could finish.
-hookup up the phone to the USB cable, plug it to some pc. browse to the pictures folder (duh MSFT, WTF is the VIDEO folder for BTW), then you will see your video, taking up room yet windows explorer reports the length as 0 minutes 0 seconds. ha ha! MSFT managed to use space in a zero length video. You can copy it and it will play fine. However your phone OS will never see this video so when you're out of storage, you'll think to buy a new phone...when in fact you have to do delete some videos. Using the nokia storage cleck to clean the temp files does nothing.

At least you can do a manual clean in windows explorer while Ballmer OS gets around to fixing this or my lumia 1020 gets replaced by something not running ballmer OS. yai.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
so I was wondering why my lumia 1020 kept losing available space...even when I use the various cleanup tools by nokia etc.

DEVICE: Lumia 1020. WP 8.0, ATT updates and firmware.
BUG: Videos left on device taking on space even after you delete them.
Process:
-be on wifi.
-setup skydrive/onedrive to backup your videos... That will be in the auto upload button near the bottom of the photos and camera settings. choose wifi and best quality.
-take a video of about 30 seconds to a minute.
-stop the video, immediately go to the pictures hub to find the video. delete the video. you should see an error show up about onedrive/skydrive uploading. off course you deleted it before it could finish.
-hookup up the phone to the USB cable, plug it to some pc. browse to the pictures folder (duh MSFT, WTF is the VIDEO folder for BTW), then you will see your video, taking up room yet windows explorer reports the length as 0 minutes 0 seconds. ha ha! MSFT managed to use space in a zero length video. You can copy it and it will play fine. However your phone OS will never see this video so when you're out of storage, you'll think to buy a new phone...when in fact you have to do delete some videos. Using the nokia storage cleck to clean the temp files does nothing.

At least you can do a manual clean in windows explorer while Ballmer OS gets around to fixing this or my lumia 1020 gets replaced by something not running ballmer OS. yai.

You seem to hate Microsoft and Windows Phone so why do you bother owning one?

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
because I need to confirm my phone isn't basically hosed and I figured many here may have lost gigs of data to this bug so all in the service of fellow WP users of which I've been part of since 2011.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro