WP8 installation size of all keyboards plus speech packs

gagmani

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello Friends, I installed all the keyboards and speech packs available in my Lumia 520. I am sharing knowledge I have gathered from doing this. Please note that only those keyboards have to be downloaded which have handwriting recognition or text suggestions enabled. Keyboards without text suggestions and keyboards of your local language are pre-installed. e.g. I had English India,Hindi Devanagari, Hindi Latin pre-installed. Similarly keyboards having no text suggestions are also available out of box e.g. Belarusian, Thai etc. Strangely English USA Speech Pack was pre-installed and English India was available for download. Maybe because English India Speech Pack does not have Speech recognition and only Text To Speech,Voice Commands. Also note that keyboards of same language group count as a single download, e.g. if you download Chinese Simplified 12 Key (57 MB download), then this 57 MB download also has Chinese Simplified QWERTY, Chinese Simplified Handwriting etc. in it. This also applies to Korean and Japanese keyboards downloads. The 3 Chinese Traditional input methods are different downloads each. But keyboards for different regions are different downloads,e.g. French(Canada), French(France) and French(Switzerland) are downloaded separately. The System size is now 3.26 GB, up from initial 1.9 GB. This means all extra keyboards and speech packs take up 1.36 GB, i.e. approx. 1200-1400 MB depending upon which keyboards were pre-installed and which were downloaded. This extra 1.4 GB is the reason Microsoft did not gave all keyboards and Speech Packs out of the box like Apple does. Majority of early Lumia's had only 5 GB user available storage.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140312_0006.png
    wp_ss_20140312_0006.png
    35 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So a double post of the same information but a bit extra. Why would someone want to install all the keyboards???

gagmani

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Well said, We do not need all the keyboards and speech packs. I have heard people singing praises of iPhone. They say you do not have to install or download any keyboard or speech pack in iPhone (you have to download only high quality voices,but low quality are there already). I just wanted to test how much space those extra features require. Is sharing that information unnecessary. Perhaps, yes. But now those iPhone lovers will understand why Microsoft chose to keep them available for download instead of making them available out of the box. Most Lumia's have 8 GB phone storage instead of iPhone's 16 GB.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When I had a jailbroken iPod touch, one of the things I would do is delete all the language localization information, but I don't think it freed that much space.

gagmani

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
When I had a jailbroken iPod touch, one of the things I would do is delete all the language localization information, but I don't think it freed that much space.

Apple can do this because these occupy much less space on iPhone. But Microsoft keyboards and speech packs occupy too much space. So easy solution is to give an option to download if you need it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos