Anyone know anything about BitLocker yet?

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I've spent a lot of time today online and on the phone with various MS entities trying to find out about Windows Phone 8 and BitLocker. It's mind numbing that there is nothing definitive anywhere. How does a consumer enable BitLocker? Some claim it's on by default, some say they have evidence to the contrary. One forum had someone confirm a home user subscription to Office365 doesn't do the job. In continuing my notion of possibly making a permanent jump to Windows Phone, I can only say I have a tinfoil hat built in at this point. I have to be able to encrypt my device memory. Does it have to be impossible to find out something so simple? None of these foreign MS phone ops can answer this. I really find this vaugeness bizarre :/

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Relax. It is already supported in WP8 out of box. There is just no settings for end user to turn it on of off. It is totally relying on Exchange policy or device policy. There are ways to setup your own exchange server and policies to push it to your phone. You just need to turn it on once. Afterwards, your phone will be encrypted forever.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
After all the time and various avenues I've been into now, that's pretty much what I've gathered. BlackBerry and Android both, you tap the respective settings and security menus and enable device encryption on the spot, WP on the other hand requires the complexity of setting up and running an Exchange server. Indeed I'm not convinced at present that this makes WP particularly standout for the data security oriented consumer. I guess we'll see if MS ever acts on that sort of thing or not, meanwhile, I believe i'll be staying where I am.

Thanks for the replies folks.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
New Window 8.1 tablets are now shipped with encryption on by default. So, I assume you will see similar thing when WP 8.1 ships. Microsoft is very slow to adapt and learn. But it will get there eventually.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Would be good if Microsoft could add an option to Outlook.com which uses EAS to enable BitLocker etc. on WP. Would be a nice perk of using the two together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes