Is Windows Phone worth to switch?

elnatura

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've owned an iPhone 3GS as it was published back in 2009. My problem with iOS had been that I had so many apps installed on the device, that I had no overview where which app was. Even folders didn't change a lot. Then I had several folders- one looked like the other. It was boring. After 2 years it got too slow and I used since then a simple Samsung mobile phone (no smartphone). In the meantime, I checked Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S4 and HTC One. The Samsung phones were dim and laggy. The HTC One was a bit less laggy, but it seemed like an one year old iPhone with the newest iOS version.
All in all I had the impression that Android Phones were simply a cheap copy of iPhones. New phones felt like they were several months old or even 1 year old. In the task manager, there were no power-eater app listed except of Android itsself.
Now, I want to buy a smartphone. I've seen about Nokia Lumia models and Windows Phones. In the net, it looks glorious, delicious. But as I was in a carrier store, it lagged a bit and the tiles looked too big. It seemed as if the huge tiles were effective for older people who have problems with their eye-sight. The menu looks too minimalistic. But the apps/their content is great. I mean, how for e.g. XBOX Music app is done. The most important things are big and/or sticking out.
On the other hand, I favourize Google Maps. Most of the apps in the Store is third party apps. The distributors themselves don't publish the apps on their own (for e.g. Google, Facebook). In Facebook's case, it is Microsoft on their own, who make the Facebook app. Those apps I've used are available in the WP Store. But as everyone knows: As soons as you have a device, you want to discover and get and want more and more. So, I don't know if I'll be contended with the app variety in the store later as well.
Google services aren't available by themselves as apps. No Google Now at all. I used HERE Maps route several times. But it showed me sometimes good footpath ways. As I drove with the car (I live in Europe not in the U.S. --> Google covers most of the areas, not Apple or Nokia), I followed the routes but I took wrong ways and had to ask pedestrians for the way. At Google, it wasn't the case. How to get the official google apps? I know, there are third party apps. I use them on Windows 8.1, but I'm discontended with the solution there.

At the end, I'm balancing between iPhones with their entropies and Nokia Lumia Windows Phones. At Windows Phones, you don't have the certainity if your current device will be supported by Microsoft for the next version as well. At WP8.1 I know, it will. But what about WP 9?
My biggest turnoff at Android and Windows Phone is the fact you get the latest update version very lare- it's said that it's up to the manufacturer to customize the update to your phone. At iPhone, it wasn't the case. I like the flat design of iOS 7, but I dislike the childish seeming Call-app buttons.

I hope you can help me to decide.
Thanks.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you are in a bit of a limbo. Its best you choose yourself and not depend on others to choice for you. Its actually quite funny that you mention HERE and Google Maps because here in the states both of my sisters got lost using Google maps and I used HERE and the route was correct. one sister uses android and the other iphone. To me it seems that Google cares more about making an impression on other people instead of their own people same can be said about HERE isnt it EU based company?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds as though you've been doing some research, so you're aware of the pros and cons.

I guess the real question is whether or not the apps available on Windows Phone 8 meet your needs or not. Same goes for any features you might be used to on other platform.

Make a list of what features/apps are really important to you in the choice of a new phone and see which OS best meets your needs. At the end of the day, they all do pretty much the same job. None of them are "better" than the others, they're all simply different to each other.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
You mentioned that the tiles were too large. They can be resized to meet your needs. If you can hold a windows phone, press on one of the tiles and use the lower right arrow to resize and see how you like it.

As for the other things, the posts above give a good description of the overall system. You really should make this decision yourself. That being said, since you have had Apple in the past, give a Nokia a chance.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
1. WP doesn't lag 90% of the time compared to Android.
2. The tiles are big for a reason. They are supposed to show you information without opening the app( sorta like widgets). I'd recommend using apps which have the "live tile" feature to make the most out of it. And you could always resize the tile to your liking.
3. "Metro" is all about being minimalistic and to the point,so...
4. MS/HERE services are great. You have to learn to let go of Google. You won't regret it one bit.
Also, you used HERE maps when you were driving. Although the "Road only" setting is a few taps away, I'd use HERE drive instead. ;)
5. 3rd Party Apps on WP are great. Period.
6. Yeeeeaaaah.... Updates. They're scary. I doubt "threshold" will support current devices. Especially 512MB ones. If you're a long term user, you MAY feel left out after a year or two. But this is MSFT. They slashed the Windows RT requirements to that of hardware of a 920, they'll surprise us. ;)

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
My only advice would be to wait until 8.1 drops and the reviews start coming in. So much is going to change with 8.1 that any advice we give you now would be outdated, Keep using whatever you have right now and read as much as you can on these forums before you make the jump.

PM me if you want as I use Windows Phone, Android, and iOS on a daily basis if you have any specific questions.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My only advice would be to wait until 8.1 drops and the reviews start coming in. So much is going to change with 8.1 that any advice we give you now would be outdated, Keep using whatever you have right now and read as much as you can on these forums before you make the jump.

PM me if you want as I use Windows Phone, Android, and iOS on a daily basis if you have any specific questions.

This is probly the best advice at this point. The summer/fall devices of 8.1 are close and if you can hold off a few months I would wait. Although all WP8 devices are getting 8.1, the new hardware (from what I have read) is not going to have hardware buttons (Back, Windows, Search).

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I find it different that people need to be sold on WP. You aren't the first there are many that come here and asked to be convinced. I just find it a different process. If I want something I get it. I do not need to be sold on an item. We are not professional sales person here some may be but not all.

I wanted xbox on my phone so I bought a WP. Nothing else mattered to me like apps. If there wasn't facebook app I would use facebook.com if there wasn't youtube app I would use youtube.com

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I find it different that people need to be sold on WP. You aren't the first there are many that come here and asked to be convinced. I just find it a different process. If I want something I get it. I do not need to be sold on an item. We are not professional sales person here some may be but not all.

I wanted xbox on my phone so I bought a WP. Nothing else mattered to me like apps. If there wasn't facebook app I would use facebook.com if there wasn't youtube app I would use youtube.com
Standing with radmanvr.
I bought first then came to WPC to learn or perhaps help.

As Yoda might say:
Buy or do not buy the choice is yours young Jedi let the force guide you.

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I can understand why he has asked. I had to sell windows phone to myself nearly a year ago to be honest. I dismissed it initally because of some bad reviews, and was all set to get myself a shiny new nexus 4, but then I was in a Carphone warehouse and ended up playing with an 820 and a 920 and was really, really intrigued. I then spent the next month or so making sure that my gut feeling (that i wanted a wp) was justified and that I wasn't going to regret it! I did a lot of research! To try and help the original op, my two main concerns were whether the apps that I use were available (although im not a heavy user so this wasn't a major problem for me) and that the phone was easily usable, and clever in the way it executes tasks. I was sold on live tiles from day 1, i actually like the no notification center layout as it makes developers use the live tiles properly. For the op; go and play with another phone in store and properly assess whether you like the live tile layout and whether resizing them solves your issue with them being too large. I was excited by the prospect of something a bit different, and love that I have something other than an iphone or Samsung galaxy...

elnatura

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
No, I don't own a Lumia device yet. Currently, I use my older mobile (without internet; simpple phone+messaging). I looked at HERE - City and Country Maps - Driving Directions - Satellite Views - Routes for a route and wrote it down to follow that way. Unfortunately, it guided me a more complex way. Even though, Nokia's cards seem to be outdated. Usually, Google Maps work here (in GER) very well.

I'm going to wait for Windows Phone 8.1 of course. But on this forum, someone http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/268986-3.htm wrote about his bad experiences especially with the IE mobile. He describes that WP8 isn't the mobile version of Win 8 . It's becoming so, but isn't completely.

xZaratustrAx

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, I bought a Lumia 620 a couple of days ago from an Android device. I've got a Nexus 7 II so I thought I'd like to give Windows Phone a try, to try something new.

The OS itself is pretty good and fast and I really like the UI as well. BUT it lacks many official (especially Google) social apps and many others (I don't even understand why Facebook releases a Messenger app even before an official FB). I find myself a bit frustrated even after a only a couple of days using it. I know M$ is doing it's best to fill these holes, but it seems that they're not working hard enough to attract evelopers to WP. This OS has a LOT of room to grow and I'm hoping for some major improvements during 2014.

In my opinion, WP may worth to switch if you buy an entry level device and you want to try something new. We can get a really good performance device at an affordable price.

Last edited:

elnatura

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
You're right. I totally agree with you. In my case, I want a high end device! But Google sees Micirosoft as an enemy-competitor, that's why they even banned their pages for even mobile sites for windows phone users. What's your opinion about the lags of Android and that there are background processes running, even those that aren't listed in the task-manager? Do they still exist with android kitkat? What about iphone?

I like Apple's Apps Store quality apps, Android's customizations and Windows Phones clear design and app-style (like big headline and normal text sizes or live-tiles).

iOS 7.1 design is really for kids. I would buy a Sony Xperia Z2 and root it with for e.g. Paranoid Android to get the most out of it. If it's true that Android 4.4 doesn't use that much ressources and that Sony's phones don't lag at all like iPhones, I'll stick with Sony. Otherwise I'll check out WP8.1, looking and reading about your experiences and then the decision. But thumbs up for Nokia. Blackbery couldn't handle it. So, Nokia has saved themselves in the last nano-second. Their new 3D Touch technology would be great if the rumors are right.

elnatura

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Well, I bought a Lumia 620 a couple of days ago from an Android device. I've got a Nexus 7 II so I thought I'd like to give Windows Phone a try, to try something new.

The OS itself is pretty good and fast and I really like the UI as well. BUT it lacks many official (especially Google) social apps and many others (I don't even understand why Facebook releases a Messenger app even before an official FB). I find myself a bit frustrated even after a only a couple of days using it. I know M$ is doing it's best to fill these holes, but it seems that they're not working hard enough to attract evelopers to WP. This OS has a LOT of room to grow and I'm hoping for some major improvements during 2014.

In my opinion, WP may worth to switch if you buy an entry level device and you want to try something new. We can get a really good performance device at an affordable price.

What would be your advice for me: Shouldn't I decide for WP8(.1), if I want a high end smartphone? Apps in WP8 looks beautiful, on Android they don't do so. You are talking about the all in all-feeling, right, that there are lacks of features and functions?

For me, WP8.1 wins in design and UI. What about its stability? Apps work well, right? Many apps are indeed a smarter version of their website. So, you really can visit the homepage instead. But are there any other serious issues? For e.g. Internet Explorer? I can ditch google services. But I still had to use google maps.
Why Facebook didn't provide an app for WP8? I don't know. But it is not Microsoft's mistake. The most of the developers and companies are preferring the big players. Firefox OS also doesn't have a Facebook app I think. Maybe, they were contended with Microsoft's app version.

Last edited:

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
What would be your advice for me: Shouldn't I decide for WP8(.1), if I want a high end smartphone? Apps in WP8 looks beautiful, on Android they don't do so. You are talking about the all in all-feeling, right, that there are lacks of features and functions?

I came from android, and I must say to you, I won't leave windows phone. It's so fast and fluid that damn, even though I'm using it for a year, it still continues to impress me of how fast this system is.

Yes, it needs some tweaks, such as settings and notification center, which is coming with 8.1, which is supossed to be ''opened'' on the 2th april, it will bring SOOO many new things that you could call it wp9.

I'm not going to lie to you, it's a big different experience from android/ios, apps on wp8 are most times more beatiful and pratical than other platforms, but a good part of them does not have the same functions as they do on the competitors, but again, this situation is changing, and fast. Microsoft is moving fast (finally!) and apps are more often 100% complete, whatsapp is almost catching the same functions that you find on ios/android, with the principal already present on wp8.

I went from a motorola razr (which was pretty fast on the 1st month, after, bugdroid.) to a lumia 920, I knew I was making a risk, changing to a new platform that didn't have apps like instagram (that now, it does have), or was seen as a ''level down'' from the others.

I felt this platform growing, and the jump on the app store was HUGE, many apps simply appeared here and it keeps changing and fast, apps catching up functions from others platforms and the system getting better and more ''visable'' to the world..

If you do feel attracted for it, I would say for you to go for it, as I did, I knew I was assuming a risk and somethings that I used to do on android, I simply couldn't on wp8, but you'll find another way, since there are GREAT 3rd person apps for the official ones (metrotube, which I find a better client in all senses than the official youtube app on ios/android) , and with 8.1 coming, It's showing how capable and great wp8 is.

If you do want a high end phone, I would say for you to get the lumia icon (which specs won't become dated any time soon), 1520, 1020 (if you reaally need a great camera), or just wait for the new lumias, they're probaly coming with 8.1 (april) and they shall have better specs, well, it's a new generation..

If you're not willing to risk enough to jump for a high end phone as I did, get a 520 or 525 just to feel wp8, if you do like it, jump to a high end..

App store on wp8 is growing fast, delivering great apps and pretty designed as well.

the displays on high end phones are incredible, and I couldn't be happier, sure wp8 got it's defects, but they're fixing it and hey, wp8.1 is coming to put an end to all those defects out there

Aashish13

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
WP 8 os better safe and secured. Its perfectly designed and just needs regular new updates. Android is a badly coded platform for users. Open source system can bring malware problems on your phone. Its not worth investing on an android phone just for fart games. One can better buy a psp

elnatura

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I've re-checked and compared some of my important apps. There, the iOS7 apps win. Apple's new design makes wonders. About WP8: What's about XBOX Music? Can you use it without subscribing the XBOX Music Pass? Or do Windows Phone 8 buyer also get XBox Music Pass for free, as it is the case with Nokia Mix Radio+ ?
Or can't you use the app at all?

Here, the Lumia Icon isn't available. But it's rumored that Lumia 930 would be published shortly. Then, I'd take the Lumia 930 or the flagship, Lumia 1820 (if the rumor is true and it will be published).

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I've re-checked and compared some of my important apps. There, the iOS7 apps win. Apple's new design makes wonders. About WP8: What's about XBOX Music? Can you use it without subscribing the XBOX Music Pass? Or do Windows Phone 8 buyer also get XBox Music Pass for free, as it is the case with Nokia Mix Radio+ ?
Or can't you use the app at all?

Here, the Lumia Icon isn't available. But it's rumored that Lumia 930 would be published shortly. Then, I'd take the Lumia 930 or the flagship, Lumia 1820 (if the rumor is true and it will be published).
Wuth Xbox music you can:
A) Buy music with it and make playlists with both the music that you buy and music that you already have for instance on your SD card or in your phone.
B) The music that you buy, will also be available for you to listen on all your other Windows 8 devices. This could be your desktop PC or your Surface tablet.
C) The pass is for you to stream music, again on all devices but you don't have to get one. Especially if you have your own music.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, I have had all of the 4 types of Smartphones. I first started with a Nextel BlackBerry 8350i aka BoostBerry, and it was OK, then I jumped onto iOS with the OG iPhone in 2011. Since then I have had the iPhone except for a few minor stints with Android: Galaxy S Captivate and Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. Then in August I made the switch to WP8 with the Lumia 520. To me, BlackBerry is dead. Android just plain sucks and in my opinion, still has a way to go I almost chucked my mom's Galaxy phones onto Interstate 5 because of how stupid and retarded they get when it starts acting up. iOS is a great OS because it is fluid OS and gives your phone a bit of longevity. Also the AppStore cannot be beat. Plus all the connectivity options. I only say that because I work in Car Audio and it's one of the first things I tell customers. Right now, I am on my 3rd Lumia, the 920. As of now, I don't plan on going back to iOS anytime soon. I am an Apple ****** from the 80's when I first used an Apple II computer. As of now, I still am, but have changed my mind on the smartphone tip to Nokia. I especially love the Text to Speech option when a text comes in via Bluetooth or wired headphones with a microphone. At the end of the day, it's you call. I don't miss the iPhone cause I have an iPod Touch and an iPad at my disposal so I can still play all my games. If you can do without alot of the mainstream apps, or have an extra iPod touch laying around, then you'll be OK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb