Save battery on "Double tap to wake up phone"

honeyrapper

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed the proximity sensor stays awake all the time the screen is off, if "double tap to wake" feature is enabled. And if you cover the sensor then double tap does not work.
I assume proximity sensor consumes lesser battery than the screen digitizer (it does warn you on the settings page that "it reduces battery life".) So it might be a good idea to always place your phone with its screen facing down.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed the proximity sensor stays awake all the time the screen is off, if "double tap to wake" feature is enabled. And if you cover the sensor then double tap does not work.
I assume proximity sensor consumes lesser battery than the screen digitizer (it does warn you on the settings page that "it reduces battery life".) So it might be a good idea to always place your phone with its screen facing down.

Thanks for the tip..!!
Didn't know about sensor being on.

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

lafn

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that the same sensor that is used for Glance, which doesn't come with a "consumers extra power" warning? Seems if you put it upside down for the double tap option the sensor is still active and using power whether it see's things or not.

honeyrapper

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Isn't that the same sensor that is used for Glance, which doesn't come with a "consumers extra power" warning? Seems if you put it upside down for the double tap option the sensor is still active and using power whether it see's things or not.

Yes I guess for glance too.
So screen facing up = Proximity sensor on + Glance screen on + Double tap on.
And screen facing down(or phone in pocket) = Only proximity sensor on.

Also the sensor only shows a faint red light compared to the much brighter light when you're on a call. You can barely see it. So they're trying to conserve as much as possible, which is good.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify it seems that the point being made is that double tap to wake uses the digitizer but when the proximity sensor is covered the phone disables the digitizer so that your phone won't turn on in your pocket. This would also save the battery because the digitizer would be off. The proximity sensor will use the same power either way.
I will however mention that I do not recommend placing your phone screen down to save battery. I'd rather sacrifice a tiny bit of battery life than scratch my screen.

honeyrapper

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Just to clarify it seems that the point being made is that double tap to wake uses the digitizer but when the proximity sensor is covered the phone disables the digitizer so that your phone won't turn on in your pocket. This would also save the battery because the digitizer would be off. The proximity sensor will use the same power either way.
I will however mention that I do not recommend placing your phone screen down to save battery. I'd rather sacrifice a tiny bit of battery life than scratch my screen.

Yeah me too. I shared it with you all just in case you didn't know already.
By the way, I think digitizer consumes significantly more power than the sensor considering how big the screen is, or else they wouldn't bother.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
By the way, I think digitizer consumes significantly more power than the sensor considering how big the screen is, or else they wouldn't bother.

I think the main reason the set it up that way is to avoid accidental "double taps" in your pocket, not for battery life reasons, but it is a nice side benefit. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

honeyrapper

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I think the main reason the set it up that way is to avoid accidental "double taps" in your pocket, not for battery life reasons, but it is a nice side benefit. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Forgive me for dragging this, but I just can't imagine how a screen can get double tapped inside a pocket. I mean a double tap is a very specific combination a two taps, with zero distance in between, within like half a second of time. How does that happen "accidentally" inside a pocket or even out of it?

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
You'd be surprised. I used to have a Nokia N9 which had double tap to wake. It would get turned on in my pocket quite often so I had to turn off double tap to wake.

honeyrapper

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Fair point. Weird things do happen when I pocket my phone without turning off the screen. Once a gibberish message even got written and sent to a friend .. LOL

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I havnt had any signifigant impact on battery life after I turned on double tap to wake when it first became available. Even if it did, though, I would rather take diminished battery life over this somewhat unproven theory that will most certainly cause microscratches on the screen :p

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I havnt had any signifigant impact on battery life after I turned on double tap to wake when it first became available. Even if it did, though, I would rather take diminished battery life over this somewhat unproven theory that will most certainly cause microscratches on the screen :p

My thoughts exactly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)