Minimizing costs on Windows Phone 8 (light user)

mike160304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

PS I did not mean Widows Phone, but it won't let me edit it. Quite funny though.

It is obviously uncool to talk about saving costs, but some of us just use a smartphone as a tool, not a way of life.

I am a beginner on the Nokia Lumia 520. Sorry if you know the following already, and any further advice will be welcomed.

1. I am on Network Three's 321 Pay-As-You-Go plan, so calls to UK landlines (geographical numbers) or mobiles cost 3p per minute. Calls to overseas landline or mobile numbers cost 3 p per minute if I use a prefix. For example, for USA I dial 424 before the 001, and have added the 424 in my phonebook.
Texts cost 2p and data cost 1p per MB.

2. At home I have WiFi, so Internet data connection is free. To make sure that no data is being downloaded via Network Three, in Settings --> Mobile Network I set Data Connection to Off. Phone/texting still work of course. Away from my WiFi, I can switch Data Connection back On, but only when I want to use it.

Incidentally I bought my first Lumia 520 from SimplyElectronics.net, not realizing that they have a ghastly reputation. They sent me a Lumia 520 in a Chinese-text box with a Chinese-only manual and, as I found out by phoning Nokia and giving them the Serial Number, no UK Warranty. I sent it back immediately, observing correct procedure. 40 days on and I have no refund yet and my credit card provider is helping me with this.

I bought my second Lumia, ?10 cheaper, from Carphone Warehouse in-store with a Virgin SIM which I duumped for the Network Three SIM. Carphone Warehouse are very helpful and I don't really need the Geek Squad one-year deal that I bought with the phone, as I can wander into Cerphone Warehouse anytime and get help, when they sre not too busy.

Mike

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

PS I did not mean Widows Phone, but it won't let me edit it. Quite funny though.

It is obviously uncool to talk about saving costs, but some of us just use a smartphone as a tool, not a way of life.

I am a beginner on the Nokia Lumia 520. Sorry if you know the following already, and any further advice will be welcomed.

1. I am on Network Three's 321 Pay-As-You-Go plan, so calls to UK landlines (geographical numbers) or mobiles cost 3p per minute. Calls to overseas landline or mobile numbers cost 3 p per minute if I use a prefix. For example, for USA I dial 424 before the 001, and have added the 424 in my phonebook.
Texts cost 2p and data cost 1p per MB.

2. At home I have WiFi, so Internet data connection is free. To make sure that no data is being downloaded via Network Three, in Settings --> Mobile Network I set Data Connection to Off. Phone/texting still work of course. Away from my WiFi, I can switch Data Connection back On, but only when I want to use it.

Incidentally I bought my first Lumia 520 from SimplyElectronics.net, not realizing that they have a ghastly reputation. They sent me a Lumia 520 in a Chinese-text box with a Chinese-only manual and, as I found out by phoning Nokia and giving them the Serial Number, no UK Warranty. I sent it back immediately, observing correct procedure. 40 days on and I have no refund yet and my credit card provider is helping me with this.

I bought my second Lumia, ?10 cheaper, from Carphone Warehouse in-store with a Virgin SIM which I duumped for the Network Three SIM. Carphone Warehouse are very helpful and I don't really need the Geek Squad one-year deal that I bought with the phone, as I can wander into Cerphone Warehouse anytime and get help, when they sre not too busy.

Mike
I would download System Tiles System Tiles | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (New Zealand) as you can pin settings like cellular and WiFi to Start. Also I'd look at the settings under data sense (settings > swipe right under applications) as they give you a few options regarding restricting background data when cellular is on which might be helpful.

Also, in the coming WP8.1 update there'll be an option to turn on WiFi automatically after a certain period of time (I.e. if you know you'll be home in three hours you can turn off WiFi and it will turn it back on automatically in three hours); might come in handy in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss