Using OneNote WebClipper on Windows Phone

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've just played around with yesterday's released WebClipper for OneNote. For those who don't know yet, what exactly this is:
WebClipper is a bookmarklet for your desktop browser that allows you to save a screenshot from any website directly to your OneNote.

Since I consider this a feature that could come in handy from time to time when browsing the web from my Windows Phone, I decided to check out if it could be used on it as well rather than my desktop browser alone. Turns out it works. :)
If you want to test it for yourselves, copy and paste the following javascript code snippet, open any website on your mobile IE, swipe up the bottom app menu and choose "add to favorites". Give it a name like +OneNote or so to make sure the newly added favorite will be on the very top of your list of favorites. Now paste the code snippet into the URL input field and save. That's it.

Code:
javascript:(function(){
if(typeof OneNoteBookmarklet==='undefined'){
window.clipperId='ON-fc86b5e3-3b65-4451-8b79-6557fdad1d5c';
var jsCode=document.createElement('script');
jsCode.setAttribute('src','https://www.onenote.com/Clipper/Root?NoAuth=1');
jsCode.setAttribute('id','oneNoteCaptureRootScript');
jsCode.setAttribute('type','text/javascript');
document.body.appendChild(jsCode);
}})()

All you have to do now is to navigate to any desired website, pull up the bottom app menu again, tap favorites and choose the recently added entry (+OneNote). If you're doing this for the first time, you'll be prompted to login with your Microsoft account. Do so and make sure to check "keep me logged in". Otherwise you'll keep being prompted to login everytime you execute the script and your website won't get saved. You're all set now. Whenever you're on a website and trigger the javascript now, a screenshot will be created (which can be seen by a nice little information bar along the top of your browser) and saved into the quick notes section of your OneNote notebook.

Btw, I didn't come up with the javascript snippet myself. It's exactly the code behind the bookmarklet provided by Microsoft.

[Edit]

I wasn't able to confirm this yet, but as the script itself contains a so called clipperID, it is possible that it won't work for everyone by simply copying and pasting it. In this case all you have to do is go to https://www.onenote.com/Clipper/OneNote, scroll down and right click the "Clip to OneNote" button. Choose properties and double click the text next to "address (URL)". Now simply copy and paste this text. It's the entire javascript above, with the difference that it's containing your unique (if it really turns out to be unique) clipperID.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss