Any ideas why my music keeps stopping?

Emerald Thales

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Anytime I use a music app, like Songza, Pandora, and MixTapes, at some point the music will just stop. And not like buffering, it just stops. When I click the volume, instead of displaying the artist (like it does when music is playing or paused) it just displays the default volume control.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know a solution? This does not happen with the built in music app or the independent Xbox Music app. I have a Lumia 928 with the Black update

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
When you are streaming music it doesn't act like the music player. If the signal is lost it just simply stops. This happens to me with Nokia MixRadio all the time.

The one thing I can think of is that if you're using WiFi you may not have selected under the advanced section 'Keep WiFi on when screen times out'. If you're streaming with mobile data than it's just simply your signal dropping out.

Not sure what else it could be.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Another possibility is if it thinks you have unplugged from the headphone socket (loose or faulty?). Or if it loses the Bluetooth connection if playing over that.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Another possibility is if it thinks you have unplugged from the headphone socket (loose or faulty?). Or if it loses the Bluetooth connection if playing over that.

Those events don't normally kill whatever is playing though. It sounds more like the app is getting closed out for whatever reason (crash?).

OP, I've experienced that a few times. Usually it is the result of the app crashing or something else taking over music playback. For instance, I know that with the built-in music app if I go to a web page that uses audio it pauses the music playback. Other apps will often just stop playing when something else takes over.

4everForever

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Same thing happen to me EVERYTIME i stream music using the app like songza, ttpod etc..it always stops after playing a few songs! While using songza in my iPad using the same WiFi connection i don't have this problem..

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Check with your carrier. I am running on t-mobile and optimum for wifi and my music stream is always flawless.

Emerald Thales

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
When you are streaming music it doesn't act like the music player. If the signal is lost it just simply stops. This happens to me with Nokia MixRadio all the time.

The one thing I can think of is that if you're using WiFi you may not have selected under the advanced section 'Keep WiFi on when screen times out'. If you're streaming with mobile data than it's just simply your signal dropping out.

Not sure what else it could be.

I'd actually forgot that setting existed, but no it wouldn't be that. I've always kept it checked.

Emerald Thales

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I notice it most when playing music over a Bluetooth speaker in the house. I dont think its a WiFi issue because it's always connected. I experience this issue without being connected to Bluetooth as well, so I don't think it is that either

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
When I stream TuneIn to a Bluetooth speaker it stops when I get a text message. If you wait a minute it starts again. Maybe other notifications have the same effect?

dwarfsize

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have this problem all the time as well. Right now I think I am on a spotty internet connection, but I noticed that it stops when I have the setting "connect to streaming music" switched on. I'm guessing it's when it tries to play a music in my collection that isn't downloaded onto my phone, then it simply fails at playing the song so it stops. I'm trying my music player again with this setting turned to off, so only my locally downloaded music is playing, to see if it is still affected or not.

*EDIT
Sooooo just tried every possibility, and it is consistently still stopping after one or two songs. They usually always finish the whole song, but once it cut out right in the middle of it. I'm frustrated with this because in order to listen to music I need to keep selecting the music every two songs?!! It doesn't even cache which song was last played when I open xbox music - it's simply gone. So back to artist, album, song, get through two songs, stop, repeat. ugh. please fix this Microsoft!!

Last edited:

Ender1553

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue since i've upgraded to windows 10. I'll play pandora on my laptop (plugged in) and it'll randomly stop mid song after 20 minutes or so. Frequently, it's about 20 seconds into the song.

In the past with windows 7, it's been due to various issues like the screen going to sleep (using TV as a monitor), etc. I've gone in and changed the power settings to prevent that, and made it so the hard drive doesn't sleep on idle when plugged in, so now it's taking 30 min before it does it. Still, very annoying. In the past, the only time music would pause would be pandora asking every 4 hours "are you still there."

Note that am using a laptop, not a mobile device, and I've also plugged it in with a cable vs wifi.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss