I HATE You, WiFi Download Only

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Is the only reason for the WiFi restriction to protect the user? That seems a little too far into "big brother" territory. There must be another reason. Maybe there's a greater chance of data corruption or something with mobile data downloads? Security?

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't like that restriction either. I feel that you should be able to use what you pay for but so far there is nothing you can do about it . The only OS I can think of that doesn't do it is Android.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Even if the policy didn't exist, I still use WiFi for large downloads. I don't think it has anything to do with Big Brother particularly when my home broadband is more secure than AT&T's network. Me thinks some tin-foil hats need re-adjusting. What is troubling to MS or Apple is when an update craps out midstream and an angry caller is on the line with a semi-bricked phone. T-Mobile is notorious for signal penetration inside buildings. Want to download an update or a map on EDGE? Didn't think so.

When the day comes that all mobile operators have blanket LTE coverage across the globe and can reach a lead-lined bunker 500' below the surface, maybe this will become a non-issue. Until then, OEMs will be forced to protect themselves from users filing warranty claims due to people wanting to exercise their right to do whatever they want. I don't understand how some people become so spoiled. It was only a few years ago that ALL apps, updates and files required to be sent to the phone through a USB connection via computer. Let's tick off the OEMs so they go back to these methods.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't vote because there was no reasonable option to choose from. They are all way too "out there".

Lawyers may be involved, but Lawyers never drive policy. Lawyers are just administrators. Lawyers don't make executive decisions.

I don't know what the reason for this is either, but my bet would also be on one or two of the U.S. carriers being behind it. They definitely have the most to gain by requesting such restrictions from manufacturers. That easily saves them hundreds of millions in infrastructure costs.

CaliGirl2013

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I checked throughout the forum, and it looks like the last post on this issue/question is 6.21....does anyone know if anything has changed over the past few days regarding the forced WiFi downloads? I have the grandfathered unlimited and yet forced to connect via wifi for nearly all the apps I need/want. Makes no sense to be around town, traveling or what have you, realize there is an app you need on the spot and low and behold, you are not getting it unless you are already paying for completely separate service at home and wait until then, or take the time in unfamiliar places to find free (slower) wifi and download. Why do I get the feeling that this is planned to force those with grandfathered data to finally drop it or force all to a position to where you can only watch short videos on this phone--a phone where you need to have an app to even watch youtube. Coming from an andriod, I thought this was going to be a great experience and upgrade, but I should have waited, this phone is an incredible hindrance in nearly every area. Hoping within the next couple months this option will be allowed, but thinking it will not be.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
It's still the same, at least for WP8 - cellular downloads up to 100 MB (depends on the carrier though) and wifi only for above 100 MB

C

Craigtrain

My 920 is a work phone, and has been on wifi the entire time I've had it. I never even knew this cellular limit existed. I just assumed it functioned similar to Android, which warns you about high data usage but lets you continue to download if you so choose.

Q8J6YlN.jpg

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I just verified Windows Store forces WiFi only for downloads under 100 MB. A 60 Mb podcast was setup for download via cellular and got forced wait for WiFi

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I just verified Windows Store forces WiFi only for downloads under 100 MB. A 60 Mb podcast was setup for download via cellular and got forced wait for WiFi

Podcast are treated differently than apps and the limit was never raised for podcasts unlike it was for apps. Limit for podcasts I believe is still i20mb over cellular.

I am glad that they at least upped the apps to 100mb over cellular. That ensure that almost all apps and nearly all games can be downloaded and enjoyed on the go without needing a wifi connection to download them.

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks I didn't know that, I just wish system updates were increased higher to eliminate having to drive. I can stream my podcasts even though I prefer hard copy of them

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
My 920 is a work phone, and has been on wifi the entire time I've had it. I never even knew this cellular limit existed. I just assumed it functioned similar to Android, which warns you about high data usage but lets you continue to download if you so choose.

View attachment 71074

That's very smart and convenient way to handle downloads. MS should implement it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett