Calendars . . . set up and syncing

The Salad

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi Folks, I'm trying hard to set up my calendar correctly which I manage from MS Outlook but want it properly sync'd to my Nokia Lumia. When I look at calendars in Outlook.com I see two. One called Calendar, the other called xxxx@live.com's Calendar. See attached. I see both these in my MS Outlook calendar as well as my MS Outlook calendar itself plus a birthdays calendar, plus UK holidays calendar (all really confusing). What is the difference between these two calendars please and can I delete one of them?

Thanks.
Cal A.JPG

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Calendar is your phone, the other is your live .com calendar. Your PC outlook syncs to the live.com calendar.
Don't delete anything. You need both of them for your phone to sync and for PC outlook to sync. You can uncheck one to see for yourself, noting the color of the calendar entries.

The Salad

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
It's really confusing . . . Windows Phone, Outlook,com, MS Outlook . . . . far from integrated.

I have to overlay 5 calendars in MS Outlook (see attached), where I manage my calendar. Is this true, it seems ridiculous!!

Cal B.JPG

So the first is my MS Outlook Calendar. The second is my phone calendar? The third is my Outlook.com calendar?

I'm confused . . . . . .

Which of these do I place new entries in when I am in MS Outllook?

Last edited:

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
What do you log into outlook.com with, a live.com address or an outlook.com address?

And if its live.com, do you also have an outlook.com address and is it associated with your live.com address?

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
What I would try is to create an appointment from my phone, see which calendar it posted to outlook.com and delete the others.

davidaddison

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Think of MS Outlook as merely a client app *that can* connect to a backend email server. While the most common use case is to connect MS Outlook to an email server, there are those who only use MS Outlook as a Personal Information Manager (PIM), and chose not to connect it to any email service. From your 2nd picture, it doesn't appear that your MS Outlook is connected to a mail service - based on the first entry labeled "Calendar" in shaded blue. If you're wanting to sync that calendar to your phone, then you'll need to connect it to an email service, then point your phone to that same service (i.e. Exchange, live.com, outlook.com, yahoo.com, etc.).

If that doesn't help, then simply create and move an example event from your 1st calendar, to the 2nd live.com calendar, as seen in your 2nd picture. If your phone is syncing to your 2nd live.com calendar, then it should appear.

The Salad

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
What do you log into outlook.com with, a live.com address or an outlook.com address?

And if its live.com, do you also have an outlook.com address and is it associated with your live.com address?

Hi, I log in to Outlook using a live.com email address. I don't own an Outllok.com email address.

The Salad

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
What I would try is to create an appointment from my phone, see which calendar it posted to outlook.com and delete the others.

Ahh . . . well here is the thing, cause when I go to do that it gives me the option to choose which calendar I want to put the appointment against. Both are Hotmail, one says just "Calendar", the other says ". . . . .@live .com's calendar - Hotmail"

The Salad

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Think of MS Outlook as merely a client app *that can* connect to a backend email server. While the most common use case is to connect MS Outlook to an email server, there are those who only use MS Outlook as a Personal Information Manager (PIM), and chose not to connect it to any email service. From your 2nd picture, it doesn't appear that your MS Outlook is connected to a mail service - based on the first entry labeled "Calendar" in shaded blue. If you're wanting to sync that calendar to your phone, then you'll need to connect it to an email service, then point your phone to that same service (i.e. Exchange, live.com, outlook.com, yahoo.com, etc.).

If that doesn't help, then simply create and move an example event from your 1st calendar, to the 2nd live.com calendar, as seen in your 2nd picture. If your phone is syncing to your 2nd live.com calendar, then it should appear.

I'm afraid I follow very little of what you have said.

The Salad

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
This is my list of calendars in Outlook.com. Still don't know the difference between the first and the third calendars . . . . . . ?

Cal A.JPG

davidaddison

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
In the 1st calendar, is that your own @live.com that's been scratched out?

If you go to Calendar > Options, you should see "Edit your reminder and calendar settings", which lists your 4 calendars. You can click on each of the calendars in question, to view their source.

The Salad

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
In the 1st calendar, is that your own @live.com that's been scratched out?

If you go to Calendar > Options, you should see "Edit your reminder and calendar settings", which lists your 4 calendars. You can click on each of the calendars in question, to view their source.

When I click on each Calendar it simply says calendar name, charm, description, etc . . . . . no ref to "source".

davidaddison

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
It lists 4 email accounts . . . . a Microsoft account (my @live.com email) and three BTInternet email addresses.

The Microsoft account listed on your phone that you say is your live.com email, is that the same email address as the scratched out live.com email address in your last picture?

The key to syncing is that they both match.

The Salad

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
The Microsoft account listed on your phone that you say is your live.com email, is that the same email address as the scratched out live.com email address in your last picture?

Correct, yes. I only have one @live.com account which I set up when I got my new Nokia Lumia (I had to, not that I wanted a new email account).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers