Is find my phone helpful or useless ?

Patrik Hatas

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello.
My friend got stolen his phone. Is it true that FMP feauture is so stupid ?????????? Can be easily erased by factory reset or buttons combination. When i use password on lockscreen, burglar cant get to the phone. But this is totally stupid because if i dont let him use phone, how can track it????? If i let him use it, he can make factory reset. Something wrong with developers or i miss something ?

Last edited:

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you are stupid? ;)

Just try it yourself! What about that?!

It works without password or anything. Phone should be turned on of course, but in settings there is an option to save location periodically. That's cool for you. Maybe.

And yes, if you factory reset the phone, fmp is useless because your MS account has gone...

Patrik Hatas

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes.
I know about this, but what is the point of this feauture???
If you lock your phone with password, burglar will turn it off because cant use it. So you wil not get location periodicaly :)

If you dont secure phone with password, he can easily go to settings and factory reset phone which is not password protected.

I cant try it now because phone has cracked screen. but i think im right

Verstanden ?

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Well Find My Phone is to help find a lost phone, not necessarily a stolen phone.
The feature is mainly aimed at scenarios where one misplaces his phone, and is able to pinpoint a location using FMP.
Other useful features include writing a message on the screen (ways to contact you) so that any kind soul who picks up the phone would be able to able to get to you.
I wouldn't call it stupid. No offence, but I think it's more stupid to have your phone stolen.
I have used it once to locate a lost phone before. FMP helped me figure out I left it in my friend's car.

Edit: You're mistaken, between Finding My Phone and Getting Back My Stolen Phone

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes.

I know about this, but what is the point of this feauture???

If you lock your phone with password, burglar will turn it off because cant use it. So you wil not get location periodicaly :)

If you dont secure phone with password, he can easily go to settings and factory reset phone which is not password protected.

I cant try it now because phone has cracked screen. but i think im right

Verstanden ?

it's the best nokia can do. If you don't like it don't use it.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
It's useful for lost devices, as melvintwj said. Two years ago, my 900 fell out of my pocket in a colleagues office. I didn't hear or feel it. At lunch, I discovered that it was missing. I used Find My Phone to see that it was in our building (the GPS location reported was very good because the phone was on the first floor next to a window). I used the Ring feature to find the phone.

It can be useful in the case of a lost phone that is then found. A colleague left her phone in the back of a taxi, but the phone's battery was dead. Either the driver or a subsequent passenger found and took the phone. That person plugged the phone in to charge it and saw the lock message, but didn't call to report the device found, so, after a bit of time, we sent a remote wipe command, which was received and processed.

As you said, someone who is specifically stealing devices to resell the hardware knows how to master reset devices. If that's the goal, there's not much that you can do.

Patrik Hatas

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Still can do better why not. Maybe next time. I know not only nokia has the same function.

you know. Wp and apps will stay in phone after factory reset. But your account cant. Why.
Ok i understand cant do anything. Maybe in future they will add more feautures

Patrik Hatas

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes i know.

You know, there is full potential for this feauture because phone location can be obtained from gps satelites or wifi or mobile networks and very accurate.

So if manufacturer will use some memory dedicated only for an account which can be set from the settings, that would be very good. So they can do 20 times factory reset, account will stay there

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
you know. Wp and apps will stay in phone after factory reset. But your account cant. Why.
Ok i understand cant do anything. Maybe in future they will add more feautures

What? Of course WP stays on the phone, IT IS THE OPERATING SySTEM!
Apps dont stay on the phone. Have you ever done a hard reset? MAybe you should try... thats the reason for factory resets, everything back to 0 ! No Apps, no accout, EVERYTHING NEW. RESET.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Verstanden ?

It saves the location periodically BEFORE you turn it off. So you can find roughly the last position of the phone when it was turned on. Thats the maximum you can do. Phone turned off -> no location.

If you are so clever you can invent a new system to locate phones and prevent burglars from deleting everything / turn it off. Have fun!

VERSTANDEN?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss