Hello

Just a quick question, when we install GDR3 or WP8.1 (next week!!) through the Preview for Developers, is this the final release of a sort of testing version? For example, my carrier still hasn't released GDR3 but I have it. When my carrier does release it, am I going to have to update it or do I already have the final version? If so, will it be the same thing with 8.1?

03-31-2014 12:42 PM
    Think of yourself as a beta tester, if there's any bugs, Microsoft can still go back and fix them before the release comes. So expect some, but not many, bugs. :) However, the final release will still come out before the carrier's start to release 8.1, so don't expect an OS update when they do, but do expect the Firmware (i.e. Nokia's firmware) when the carriers release it.

So in other words, you'll be getting half of what the carriers get, expect the other half later. :D
    03-31-2014 12:47 PM
    No, no, no. This is not a beta program. Look at this thread to get good information about the Preview for Developers program.
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...t-exactly.html
    dlalonde and aximtreo like this.
    03-31-2014 01:22 PM
    Oh great! So it IS the final version! Thanks :)

Is this a beta program? Am I going to get beta bits that are full of bugs?
    No. This is not a beta program. It is a way to get the same bits that the manufacturers get, ahead of whenever your carrier decides to release them. As was demonstrated when this program started, there were those who claimed it was not going to be the final release, and those who claimed it was. As it turned out, those who believed it to be the final release were correct. The build that was given to the Preview for Developers participants was the same build that the manufacturers got from Microsoft. There is no guarantee that this will always be the case, as it is always possible to find a bug and issue a late release, but this definitely is not a beta program. The software being delivered is meant to be ready for prime time.
    03-31-2014 01:26 PM
    IF your carrier releases it afterwards, you will get it from the carrier, as well. Probably with firmware added beyond just the OS update.
    dlalonde likes this.
    03-31-2014 01:56 PM
    If you have already installed the OS updates with the Preview, when the carrier releases updates, you will only receive the updates that you need. You will not receive a duplicate of what you already have.
    dlalonde and aximtreo like this.
    03-31-2014 02:35 PM
    Thanks for the complementary information! I appreciate it!
    03-31-2014 02:57 PM