How to get content onto the sd card without fouling things up?

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have have been using windows phone for three months, and have had it up to here with the fussiness of adding and syncing content onto my damn phone. I am about to throw this thing out the damn window.

I am now hard resetting my lumia 1520, hoping this "fresh start" will clear things up for me, but I'm losing my patience.

I have a 64gb card, I want my music playlist (approx. 18GB) on there, and numerous photo folders from my pc (about 10GB), and all new photos and videos to be saved to the card. Doesnt sound like a difficult request, does it? But from the multiple duplicate and triplicate files, to the music hub routinely not seeing any of the content n the card, while other third party apps can, I am about to scream!!!

I have tried the Windows Phone metro (total crap, took about 14 hours to sync the 30GB of data), then WMP, then iTunes, and am now trying out MusicBee.

Otherwise I am fairly happy with WP8, and have actually been trying to tell people I know about it (most have never heard of it and have no CLUE WHY I would even want to use it!), but for me the difficulty with syncing is driving my f*king bonkers, really.

Sorry for this rant, but I am very frustrated and would really like to learn the best way to manage content on this phone.

rant over (for now)!

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Stay away from Windows?. That's a joke:wink: Try this link: Use an SD card to add
space | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Thanks for that link, but i HAVE followed all of the protocols for using an SD card with windows phone, and have always selected remove card before powering off and then ejecting, but problems persist. I have probably formatted the stinking card 30 times in three months, and have soft resetted the device 50 to 60 times. It is just way too finicky for any sane person.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm....i formatted the card in the phone, did a hard reset, when it rebooted I said yes put pics and files on the sdcard. I then shut down the phone and connected the sdcard to my computer and dragged and dropped pics and music- over 12,000 mp3s. Put it back in my phone and everything has been fine.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
You may also want to try a full format of the sdcard too on the PC (not a quick format) before you do the hard reset. Make sure you use FATex for 64gb cards. Just be aware that a full format could take an hour or so.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm....i formatted the card in the phone, did a hard reset, when it rebooted I said yes put pics and files on the sdcard. I then shut down the phone and connected the sdcard to my computer and dragged and dropped pics and music- over 12,000 mp3s. Put it back in my phone and everything has been fine.

Thanks. after rebooting and selecting yes to use the card for new photos and videos, the following folders are created on the blank card: Music, Pictures, Videos and WPSystem. When removing the card and opening it on the pc, are you using the file explorer to copy and past content into these folders? How do you copy a music playlist (*.m3u) with this method?

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks.

I think that Microsoft wants us to use the windows phone app, however, when using it, I select + add to phone, then Add Playlists. the problem is that I cannot browse for my playlist. clicking Files, Go Up, does nothing. My m3u playlist is on my external hard-drive, with all of my media content. There does not seem to be way to browse to this location.

screen grab windows phone sync.jpg

rodrigoa81

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

When I started using WP8 I had the same problem that you have,until I saw the following on the internet and that solved it for me.

1) take the SDcard out of the phone and format it with the PC
2) Do a hard reset of the phone so its clean.
3) On the setting menu, go to applications and then to music+videos. There are 3 options which are Connect with Xbox Music, Xbox Music Cloud Collection and Now Playing on Xbox; Deactivate all three of them.

According to what I read, songs got duplicated because it was storing songs on the cloud or something like that. I had this problem before my phone had the Lumia Amber Update, and since i don't have an Xbox, I didnt had a problem turning them off, suppossely Amber fixed this but i couldn't tell you.

Also, I always try to add music through windows explorer, I find it much easier.

Hope this helps.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

When I started using WP8 I had the same problem that you have,until I saw the following on the internet and that solved it for me.

1) take the SDcard out of the phone and format it with the PC
2) Do a hard reset of the phone so its clean.
3) On the setting menu, go to applications and then to music+videos. There are 3 options which are Connect with Xbox Music, Xbox Music Cloud Collection and Now Playing on Xbox; Deactivate all three of them.

According to what I read, songs got duplicated because it was storing songs on the cloud or something like that. I had this problem before my phone had the Lumia Amber Update, and since i don't have an Xbox, I didnt had a problem turning them off, suppossely Amber fixed this but i couldn't tell you.

Also, I always try to add music through windows explorer, I find it much easier.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I am willing to keep trying to get it working. I will give it a go. Though, how do you get a playlist and its content onto the card and read properly by the phone with this method?

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
This is how I get stuff on the card as well. Just drag and drop. I never use the Windows app.

Thanks, I know about drag and drop, but I am trying to get one 16.2GB, playlist with 2982 files onto my sd card, copying the .m3u file via drag and drop does not work.

At the moment, I am running MusicBee, which I'm new to using, but it does look rather full featured.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I know about drag and drop, but I am trying to get one 16.2GB, playlist with 2982 files onto my sd card, copying the .m3u file via drag and drop does not work.

At the moment, I am running MusicBee, which I'm new to using, but it does look rather full featured.
Yeah, I don't use playlists so I never tried that. I just dumped about 16GB of music that way. I hope MusicBee works out for you.

Edit: Thanks for mentioning MusicBee. I took a look at it and downloaded it. I've been trying get away from iTunes and this may turn out to be a suitable replacement.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I don't use playlists so I never tried that. I just dumped about 16GB of music that way. I hope MusicBee works out for you.

Edit: Thanks for mentioning MusicBee. I took a look at it and downloaded it. I've been trying get away from iTunes and this may turn out to be a suitable replacement.

Thanks all. Syncing a playlist with MusicBee seems to have worked, and I am feeling much better about the phone today because of it! Now, I wish I could also sync photo folders with MusicBee, instead of having to try another program. If I do drag and drop, do I have to remove the sd card first or can it be done through the phone?

Also, I am liking the MusicBee theater mode for my music manager on my laptop much more than iTunes (which I've been using for years).
MusicBee theatermode.jpg

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I must have spoke too soon... a problem is returning.

In MusicBee, I have just added an album to the 16GB playlist that I successfully synced last night. Then, I attached the phone and re-synced with the updated playlist. The program scanned the phone and added the new album in around one minute. I can see the new album on the sd card through the MusicBee program and in windows file explorer. Everything looks great. Eject the phone using the MusicBee "safely remove device", go to music hub on the phone and NO NEW Album to be found!!!! Why oh why is this so difficult?

rodrigoa81

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
You can copy the playlist directly with the file explorer, in order to do that follow these steps:

1) Plug the phone to the PC
2) There should be two drives, one called Phone and one called SD card, open the Phone drive.
3) On windows explorer go to the Tools Menu and select folder options
4) Go to view and select "show hidden files, Folder or drives" and clic on apply and then OK
5) Open the music folder located on the phone drive
6) There you will see a folder called playlist, open it and paste you playlist there.

The playlist should be store in the phone in order for it to work, id doesnt work from the SD card.

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb