Supported WP8 since day one, but now thinking of leaving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

channing0214

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have been a strong supporter of the WP8 platform ever since it came out and I received my Lumia 920. I had never been too tied to any other platforms and after much research I decided to give WP8 a try. To me it also made sense to try a new platform or else we would end up with only an Apple/Android option if a third platform didn't start challenging them. Some of the things I love on WP8: Nokia makes great phones, Camera Quality and Camera Apps are wonderful, OS runs very smoothly, live tiles are great, SkyDrive, and office integration. There are any other reasons I like the platform as well but lately, I am finding that WP8 is just not giving me the full smartphone experience. Some examples: I have many instances where friends will either send me a link to try an App, or show me an app they are using that I love. Then I head over to the Store excited to download the App only to find....*drumroll please*....no app is available, this happens all the time. Also many of the Apps I do use rarely get support or updates and I have had to remove some of them because they kept crashing. The most recent thing that has made me start taking steps away from Windows Phone is the new Ford I purchased has SYNC software which on the logo says it is by Microsoft. As I drove off in my new car I thought "Well great, this is Microsoft so my windows phone should work perfectly with it."......WRONG! Not only doesn't it support the texting feature in SYNC , but it doesn't support the Applink feature as well. From the Ford SYNC Website: "SYNC AppLink-compatible mobile applications are available for Android?, BlackBerry?, and iPhone". I really have given Windows Phone a good try, but sadly I think the time has finally come for me to throw in the towel. Good luck Windows Phone, I gave you a solid try but you're just not for me.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The main key is to have patience :) There are definitely apps that I would love to have available, but they just aren't there yet. Just hold on for a while :) WP is relatively young, but if you can't then no one can blame you.. All the best sir

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to see you go, but these are the same growing pains associated with any OS.

We mustn't forget all the years where people kept saying that Android had no chance again iOS, because Apple got there first and was way ahead in the apps race. Now look: Android dominates the global market share.:

Apps on Windows Phone are improving on a daily basis. I'm not using this a reason to pressure you to stay, of course. If iOS and/or Android have apps you find critical for your daily life, then be free. But early adopters are essential to attract developers, and since I love my Windows Phone for the OS, and not the apps, it runs: I'm willing to stick it out.

But it seems you're not, and that's fine. Find what device works best for you. However, with that in mind, stick around just a little while longer? After all, the Developer Preview for WP8.1 rolls out either tomorrow or Tuesday, so at least gives 8.1 a chance before moving on?

Anyways, we know you have a lot of choices in smartphones, so we thank you for trying Windows Phone. Good luck with your next device, my friend. :)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
No phone OS is for everyone. And peer pressure bearing down isn't fun. I'm sure your friends are also annoyed they can't do things on their Androids that you can do. So it's better for all of you to be using the same platform.

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I know someone who is giving up his iPhone to purchase a Nokia 1020 for the camera. He has been an iPhone user for years and has just bought an iPad Air, but he wants the camera on the 1020, so is saying goodbye to iPhone. I have advised of the app market on WP, but he can get what he need and is not a trend follower.

So, yes people move from one platform to another. Its good to see you have thought about the reasons to move. I wish you luck and who knows, you may return.

channing0214

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have will have my Lumia 925 until the middle of August so who knows, maybe I will have a change of heart and decide to stay with it. In August I am just going to have to decide if its worth it to me to keep trucking along with Windows Phone or switch to something that will work better for me, as of now it will be more beneficial for me to leave.

nautanki_saala

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
if ur not in the US, then ur not even gonna get cortana, quier hours, inner circles, bing music idemtification and other special bing services and many other features.. switch to droid.. microsoft is taking money from us and giving all stuff to US only.. we are their funds.. switch to droid.. even ive been a WP8 supporter since inception.. but now its been long and it still hasnt improved much and I thought 8.1 really has great features.. firsr they excitend world n then they announce 'US only'! so now leave windows and tell them to get support from US only where there is a negligible market share.. there's no chance of droid/apple like experience for alteast 2years more.. all apps come centuries after they r launched in ios n droid.. some dont come at all.. we customers are juss expected to wait wait n wait in WP.. so why not switch today and end all the wais right away get all apps n features..

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
if ur not in the US, then ur not even gonna get cortana, quier hours, inner circles, bing music idemtification and other special bing services and many other features.. switch to droid.. microsoft is taking money from us and giving all stuff to US only.. we are their funds.. switch to droid.. even ive been a WP8 supporter since inception.. but now its been long and it still hasnt improved much and I thought 8.1 really has great features.. firsr they excitend world n then they announce 'US only'! so now leave windows and tell them to get support from US only where there is a negligible market share.. there's no chance of droid/apple like experience for alteast 2years more.. all apps come centuries after they r launched in ios n droid.. some dont come at all.. we customers are juss expected to wait wait n wait in WP.. so why not switch today and end all the wais right away get all apps n features..
Bing music ID is already present. Besides, Cortana is gonna be rolled out so saying "not ever" is a blatant lie.
P.s. Centuries? Hyperbole much...

Last edited:

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

what part of "beta" don't you understand? Calm down. They could have offered it to NOONE until it was ready globally, but they have it useable for US so they are being nice enough to make it available to them. Talk about entitled! Sheesh

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been a strong supporter of the WP8 platform ever since it came out and I received my Lumia 920. I had never been too tied to any other platforms and after much research I decided to give WP8 a try. To me it also made sense to try a new platform or else we would end up with only an Apple/Android option if a third platform didn't start challenging them. Some of the things I love on WP8: Nokia makes great phones, Camera Quality and Camera Apps are wonderful, OS runs very smoothly, live tiles are great, SkyDrive, and office integration. There are any other reasons I like the platform as well but lately, I am finding that WP8 is just not giving me the full smartphone experience. Some examples: I have many instances where friends will either send me a link to try an App, or show me an app they are using that I love. Then I head over to the Store excited to download the App only to find....*drumroll please*....no app is available, this happens all the time. Also many of the Apps I do use rarely get support or updates and I have had to remove some of them because they kept crashing. The most recent thing that has made me start taking steps away from Windows Phone is the new Ford I purchased has SYNC software which on the logo says it is by Microsoft. As I drove off in my new car I thought "Well great, this is Microsoft so my windows phone should work perfectly with it."......WRONG! Not only doesn't it support the texting feature in SYNC , but it doesn't support the Applink feature as well. From the Ford SYNC Website: "SYNC AppLink-compatible mobile applications are available for Android™, BlackBerry?, and iPhone". I really have given Windows Phone a good try, but sadly I think the time has finally come for me to throw in the towel. Good luck Windows Phone, I gave you a solid try but you're just not for me.

It may not have an applink app, but my Windows Phones supported every feature of Sync including the advanced texting. You might want to fiddle with the settings or turn on "connect another way" under bluetooth advanced. I actually ended up selling that car because SYNC was a piece of junk and there was no fix. When it worked it was amazing, except it quit working daily, for no specific reason, and became very frustrating. That was a year ago, hopefully it's better now. I heard the company MS hired to code it got fired and they ended up needing to completely redo the whole thing or something. So basically, don't mistake SYNC issues for Windows Phone issues. I'm now in a Scion FR-S with a "less advanced" head unit that works perfectly 100% of the time with all the same features.

You might also consider looking/asking for equivalent apps. Like how 6snap can be used for snapchat because snapchat isn't available yet, etc. And then keep in mind, all these apps your friends send you do they really get used a lot? Or are they novelties that wear off in five minutes, but the stuff you spend most of your time doing on the phone is good Windows Phone stuff. I've recently in the last two days helped two family members with Galaxy android phones figure out how to do simple things like share or delete pictures. One of them already regrets switching from Windows Phone, the other hasn't tried it so she doesn't know how easy things can be. It's not all apps, core functionality is important too on a communications device.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, don't have time to discuss this now. Am downloading 8.1 that makes this the best OS out there. I think you said you were leaving WP and if that's correct, good luck.

Now back to watching the little green line progress to completion.

channing0214

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It may not have an applink app, but my Windows Phones supported every feature of Sync including the advanced texting. You might want to fiddle with the settings or turn on "connect another way" under bluetooth advanced. I actually ended up selling that car because SYNC was a piece of junk and there was no fix. When it worked it was amazing, except it quit working daily, for no specific reason, and became very frustrating. That was a year ago, hopefully it's better now. I heard the company MS hired to code it got fired and they ended up needing to completely redo the whole thing or something. So basically, don't mistake SYNC issues for Windows Phone issues. I'm now in a Scion FR-S with a "less advanced" head unit that works perfectly 100% of the time with all the same features.

You might also consider looking/asking for equivalent apps. Like how 6snap can be used for snapchat because snapchat isn't available yet, etc. And then keep in mind, all these apps your friends send you do they really get used a lot? Or are they novelties that wear off in five minutes, but the stuff you spend most of your time doing on the phone is good Windows Phone stuff. I've recently in the last two days helped two family members with Galaxy android phones figure out how to do simple things like share or delete pictures. One of them already regrets switching from Windows Phone, the other hasn't tried it so she doesn't know how easy things can be. It's not all apps, core functionality is important too on a communications device.

The SYNC system so far is working really well for me. I am able to text but its via the windows phone home button to talk out text messages, I am unable to use the SYNC button on my steering wheel for this. My friend has the same Vehicle, has a Droid phone and is able to text and link up their phone to play Pandora and other apps through Bluetooth.

As for trying the apps my friends use, they are real functional apps that I would use and not just novelty stuff. I just saw a friends the other day on the iphone that was a great app showing all the upcoming concerts for bands in the area, it was called "bandsintown". I really loved the app and would use it regularly to find out about upcoming concerts...but no such luck on WP. This is just one of many instances of missing apps I've encountered along the way. Like you suggested in your comment I do try to find "unofficial" apps to try and fill the void but sometimes they just don't cut it and I uninstall them.

Graelock

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, I would say "patience," but if that's not possible, good luck to you! Personally, I hate phone/ provider hopping like some people in my family. One day on the Apple boat, the other day on the Samsung boat...it's too much. They all have pro's and cons. I like Microsoft's product integration the most...and Camera...I mean "Carl Zeiss man!" That's a big name in the photography industry and it really shows on my little 8MP phone. The dynamic range that it captures is better than my older 10mp E-510, somehow.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The default search button did this as well when you swiped to the side after hitting it. There was a local card that had upcoming events. Ironically, it's now gone in 8.1. :p

Yeah, bummer. I miss my easy access to Bing Vision + Local Events + Local Scout + Local Deals. Two of those features are now gone entirely in 8.1, very disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon