What processors does WP8 support?

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
It seems the OS only allows for specific processors to be used, probably why the first batch always came with the Snapdragon S4 and had to be enabled by GDR3 (I think) to allow for a quad core.
I was just wondering why all the new ones aren't using the Snapdragon 801. Is it because WP doesn't support the 801 at the moment?

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm almost positive Windows Phone 8 can now support the newer Snapdragon processors if they're implemented. The reason the newer phones don't have them is because there's simply no reason to use them at the moment. Unlike the top current Android phones WP8 is a lot better at managing power and resources and simply doesn't need that level of power. Even the current Snapdragon 800 isn't showing a massive improvement over phones like the 920, or 1020, so there's no reason to use the power expensive Snapdragon 801 or even the 805. If I'm not mistaken the GPU Chip is still the same Adreno 330 in the 801 so gaming performance isn't different, and even then most developers aren't using the A330's full power anyway.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm almost positive Windows Phone 8 can now support the newer Snapdragon processors if they're implemented. The reason the newer phones don't have them is because there's simply no reason to use them at the moment. Unlike the top current Android phones WP8 is a lot better at managing power and resources and simply doesn't need that level of power. Even the current Snapdragon 800 isn't showing a massive improvement over phones like the 920, or 1020, so there's no reason to use the power expensive Snapdragon 801 or even the 805. If I'm not mistaken the GPU Chip is still the same Adreno 330 in the 801 so gaming performance isn't different, and even then most developers aren't using the A330's full power anyway.

i would've loved to see 805 support being announced. True that it is not needed at all, but it would've silenced the android fanboys who're going to go gaga over it when it is released, not knowing that wp can run without lags even on the snapdragon S4.
Btw, 805 is much less power consuming, as claimed at present, and the graphics chipset is newer too (they write 'console quality graphics', not sure since how long devs and manufacturers have been writing this, i haven't seen any game with that good graphics as of yet)
I'm not asking for pphones running it, I'm saying that at least they should've supported it for 8.1, it would've been good for brand value.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly it. They've always been one step behind for hardware generation.
When WP7 came out it only supported Snapdragon S1. This was during the time all the other competitors was using Snapdragon S2.
When WP7.5 update came out, Snapdragon S2 was supported. By this time everyone jumped onto S3 and S4.
When WP8 came out, Snapdragon S4 dual cores were supported. For about 6 months or so they were on par hardware wise but then the competition jumped to the Quad cores (namely snapdragon 600), and WP8 devices were stuck with the dual core S4s. Low end was fine cuz everyone used the same low end, but high end was a problem since WP could not compete.
WP8 GDR3 update added support for quadcore Snapdragon 200, 400 and 800 (I dunno about 600...I think they're skipping that one which is fine). There doesn't appear to be 801 support and there may not be which in all honestly doesn't matter much because its just a speed bumped snapdragon 800 (like 10-15% at most if its noticeable at all).
Heck the HTC One M8 uses a snapdragon 801 but its CPU is still clocked the same as the 800 (2.26ghz), so CPU wise nothing changes. The changes only comes from a higher clocked GPU (which again is the exact same Adreno 330, but clocked at like 583mhz vs 450 or something) and I think a faster memory interface. Technically WP should be able to use the 801 since the 800 and 801 are the same (one is just a bit faster).

Not sure if 805 support is coming in the initial WP8.1 release but word is it will be in WP8.1 GDR2 which is set for later this year apparently. And so far, there is nothing that uses the 805 chipset since its not ready yet.
The 805 is the beast that everyone should be whining about IF it was being released on the androids right now while the WP devices are still using the 800. but that isn't the case.
Snapdragon 805 has a newer CPU: The Snapdragon 800/801 uses KRAIT 400 CPU cores, 805 uses KRAIT 450. GPU is newer too, 800/801 uses Adreno330, 805 uses Adreno 420. They claim something like 50% improvement over the 800/801 and every year they've been saying 'console quality graphics'

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been hearing 'console quality graphics' since ages :)) that must be joke, but finally we are seeing things improving.
As for 801, i dont think we need it. Useless hassle for nokia and Ms to develop firmware for it, and it wont result in any good. WP doesn't need any excess processing power. Though i do wish 930 had a 801, then S5 owners wouldn't be able to bash the 930 when they both are out.
But 805, as they claim, is faster, and more energy efficient, i think we do need it when it comes out. Or the competition would win when people who dont know that wp doesn't need high end processors would buy lagdroid phones thinking that they would perform better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss