My consequence of flashing a ROM onto my AT&T L920...

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Disappointed in the fact that AT&T decided not to include Data Sense on any of their WP8 devices, I decided about a month ago to flash another ROM (EU ROM) to my phone. I indeed did get Data Sense, but at a cost--no internet sharing. I have the new Mobile Share Data Plan with 10GB which comes along with internet sharing. I tried the keyboard trick, and that fixed my problems for a while. Then I upgraded to the 8.1 DP...now the keyboard trick doesn't fix the internet sharing issue. I've searched the forums as well as the internet for any fix associated with this, but had no luck. Every link I looked up had a keyboard fix and other APN fixes that did not work.

I decided to call AT&T themselves to see if they would be able to fix this issue. The three people I've talked to in the past week were very helpful and tried their best to alleviate the problem...one of them even spotted the fact that I didn't have the same firmware number as the stock AT&T phone (luckily, they don't know enough about WP devices as the higher-level technician admitted that he has little experience with them---sad really). Now, after a hour of trying, they decided to send me another L920 which was not under any warranty and is now back under a year warranty. So overall, I call it a win-win situation...just without Data Sense permanently (just with the 8.1 DP as for now).

Although I really love data sense, I'd rather have internet sharing. So, I'm back at the mercy of AT&T and their firmware updates and their lack of Data Sense once the official 8.1 comes about. For now, I guess I'll just be happy that 8.1 lets us use Data Sense and enjoy its goodness.

So to all that wants to flash to another ROM, be aware that AT&T won't be able to fix the internet sharing issue on their end. I'll miss having an unbranded L920....sigh.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Disappointed in the fact that AT&T decided not to include Data Sense on any of their WP8 devices, I decided about a month ago to flash another ROM (EU ROM) to my phone. I indeed did get Data Sense, but at a cost--no internet sharing. I have the new Mobile Share Data Plan with 10GB which comes along with internet sharing. I tried the keyboard trick, and that fixed my problems for a while. Then I upgraded to the 8.1 DP...now the keyboard trick doesn't fix the internet sharing issue. I've searched the forums as well as the internet for any fix associated with this, but had no luck. Every link I looked up had a keyboard fix and other APN fixes that did not work.

I decided to call AT&T themselves to see if they would be able to fix this issue. The three people I've talked to in the past week were very helpful and tried their best to alleviate the problem...one of them even spotted the fact that I didn't have the same firmware number as the stock AT&T phone (luckily, they don't know enough about WP devices as the higher-level technician admitted that he has little experience with them---sad really). Now, after a hour of trying, they decided to send me another L920 which was not under any warranty and is now back under a year warranty. So overall, I call it a win-win situation...just without Data Sense permanently (just with the 8.1 DP as for now).

Although I really love data sense, I'd rather have internet sharing. So, I'm back at the mercy of AT&T and their firmware updates and their lack of Data Sense once the official 8.1 comes about. For now, I guess I'll just be happy that 8.1 lets us use Data Sense and enjoy its goodness.

So to all that wants to flash to another ROM, be aware that AT&T won't be able to fix the internet sharing issue on their end. I'll miss having an unbranded L920....sigh.

Thanks for sharing, but couldn't you flash ATT ROM back instead of getting your phone exchanged?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, but couldn't you flash ATT ROM back instead of getting your phone exchanged?

Unfortunately the tricks used to get other ROMs to flash don't work the same in the other direction. Once the Rogers pre-portico version is updated past Amber, it's no longer compatible with the AT&T ROM any more (nor is the phone able to be flashed with Rogers pre-portico any more either.)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon