Windows Phone becoming extinct in Canada

Matt174e

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I bought my HTC 8S from Virgin mobile sometime last year. It's been taken off their selection some time ago, and there were no more WP's since. Today I went to check Telus to see if I could afford to get the 1020, and it was taken off their site. Only the Lumia 625 remains, which isn't much of an upgrade from the HTC 8S. Then I went to the Koodo website, zero Windows Phone's. Only Roger's has the 1020 (along with 625) in my area, and they are garbage in Newfoundland. Only one City on the island gets service, so they're not an option.

It doesn't look good for Windows Phone's future (at least for Canada). It's bad enough I can't get any of the hottest apps that people rave about...

stkhalo07

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've periodically read the market share numbers as time's gone on, but now that you mention it I don't think I've ever seen the WP market share numbers for Canada.

Tried looking it up but found global, U.S., etc. - maybe your experience is indication they're not doing too hot.

Overall, the WP app situation has improved significantly. But there's unfortunately still voids for sure, and if I'm not mistaken there's been a quite a few Canadians mentioning difficulties getting local apps in particular, like banks, local shops, etc.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
we tend to get the short end of the stick for anything really... i was lucky that i grabbed the 1020 with the Blacks promotion late last year and it's been working really well for me (telus)

i just hope they push more phones out near end of this year so I can grab another phone for my mom (she's on my sis's old 800)

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree, unfortunately.

I did the same as you, got the 8s from Virgin and wanted to move forward to a better company but there are less and less available.

It's quite sad. I do hope I won't have to buy my phone from the US when I have to replace this current one. :unhappy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99