Outlook 2010 and Profile Picture Issues

Racehunter

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have had my Nokia Lumia 625 since Christmas and in most cases, it does exactly what I need of a phone. This is my second WP device (previous was HTC Touch HD) and I rely on the way my outlook contacts on my PC sync with the phone. That is apart from profile pictures.

As is required, I set up an outlook.com account and use that to update contacts and calendar, which really works seamlessly, however while any changes on either the phone profiles or PC profiles text content change, pictures just do not.

When I set up the sync first time, all contact info was available on my phone, but none of the profile pictures contained within Outlook 2010 appeared. I added pictures to WP8 contacts manually, which in some cases are different to the PC held ones, but these new pictures did not sync back to the PC.

This is really frustrating and I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or is it simply an aspect of the 'cloud' syncing that has not been allowed?

I hope someone can put me right about this problem

Thanks

Steve

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
it could be an issue with Outlook 2010

if you look on outlook.com do you see the picture you added on the phone?
similar if you are on windows 8/8.1 do you see the new picture in the people hub?

if it appears in these places it looks like outlook has the problem and not the cloud

I just went onto the people app in windows phone
change a picture for one that was blank
went to outlook.com and the picture had synced back to it

Racehunter

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
OK. I have logged into my outlook.com online account and there are no profile pictures against any of my contacts in the 'People' tab, so it seems I do not have sync either way (from Outlook 2010 or from WP8)

Last edited:

Racehunter

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
So, having looked further it seems that the only contact pictures that would appear on the online outlook.com 'people' hub, would be those where the contact was pulled from a Facebook account or similar. I do not use FB to any extent so this way of getting pictures is a no no for me. All I want to be able to do is have the contact pictures from my Outlook 2010 (Win 7) PC to sync with my Windows Phone 8 People hub. All of the written details sync correctly, just not the pictures.

I used the Outlook Hotmail Connector to set up the sync and everything else works both ways (Calendar and Contacts without pictures!)

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if having facebook connected makes any difference, I do have mine connected, but the contact I tested changing the picture on is not on facebook

the new picture I assigned my contact was stored on onedrive (not sure if this makes a difference)

the issue seems to be getting your WP8 changes to sync back to outlook.com, if this is not working then outlook 2010 will not be able to sync the pictures down (outlook.com is the master list the others sync to/from this)

Racehunter

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Paul,

I have tried adding a picture to OneDrive, creating a dummy 'person' on WP8, then adding that picture. While the contact was seen in Outlook 2010 on my PC, the picture was not, so the problem is with the pictures syncing upstream and downstream.

I might just try removing the hotmail connector and starting again.

Racehunter

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
And as if I wasn't confused enough...... I just checked Calendar on my outlook.com account and it is not populated by my appointments, yet anything I put on outlook 2010 calendar gets synced to my phone and vice versa, so why have I a blank calendar online :unhappysweat:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon