Yahoo mail. Can receive but not sending

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Have the ATIV S for 5 months and it was working fine. Then out of the blue a couple of days ago, couldn't send anything out of my yahoo mail. Keep asking me to input name and password over and over again. Receiving is fine.

I have removed Yahoo mail and did a re-setup. I have also reset phone to factory setting and re-setup Yahoo mail. Nothing work.

Can anyone help please?

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Should be this for a regular account:
?Yahoo! Mail SMTP server address: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
?Yahoo! Mail SMTP user name: Your full Yahoo! Mail email address (including "@yahoo.com")
?Yahoo! Mail SMTP password: Your Yahoo! Mail password
?Yahoo! Mail SMTP port: 465
?Yahoo! Mail SMTP TLS/SSL required: yes

and this for a plus account:
The SMTP server settings for Yahoo! Mail Plus accounts are:
?Yahoo! Mail SMTP server address: plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
?Yahoo! Mail SMTP user name: Your Yahoo! Mail user name
?Yahoo! Mail SMTP password: Your Yahoo! Mail password
?Yahoo! Mail SMTP port: 465
?Yahoo! Mail SMTP TLS/SSL required: yes

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I went into my yahoo setting, it shows:

Incoming email server: winmo.imap.mail.yahoo.com:993:1
User name: full address including @yahoo.com
Password:
Outgoing (smtp) email server: winmo.smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465:1
Outgoing server requires authentication: Yes
Use the same user name and password for sending mail: Yes

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
How do you do that, the sending of credentials?

BTW, I have an apps called Pocket File Manager and it has it's individual settings for outgoing mail (smtp.mail.yahoo.com instead of winmo.smtp.mail.yahoo.com) I tried it and I can send out mail. I then used the same (smtp.mail.yahoo.com) in my Yahoo mail and it still wouldn't work.

I then tried an gmail and same problem, it keeps asking for name and password over and over and over again. It said my yahoo account info is incorrect.

Last edited:

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi
1. On WP8, I can receive email but not sending email.
2. On WP8 using Pocket File Manager (it doesn't seem to go through WP8 normal email, need to enter setting separately), I can send email.
3. On desktop, no problem receiving and sending

All using same user name and password. The fact that I can send things out using Pocket File Manager is very strange. I even used the exact same setting onto the Yahoo email and still couldn't send. Tried using gmail but same problem. It keeps saying yahoo account info is wrong and asked for username and password over and over and over and over......again.

This is most frustrating. Any advise please..

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
For the past few weeks, my Yahoo email will all of a sudden stop working for a few days and all of a sudden start working again for the next few days. And the cycle will keep repeating. This is even though I did nothing to it. When it stops, it keeps asking for username and password. Any ideas?

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes my Yahoo mail says my login info is wrong and wants me to re-enter it, not sure if that's what you are experiencing. I turn the phone off and on and then it works again for a while. It's obviously a bug of some sort.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I have even did a factory reset and reset up Yahoo and problem still persist. Same thing happening with Gmial. The only email that works flawlessly is Hotmail but that's not my main email account.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have this too. I can send and receive,but everytime I open my mail I get asked for user name and password and then it tells me the info is incorrect. Fortunately I can press back and still get to my email. I know my password is fine as I can use it on my account on the PC.
Took the phone into Nokia Care this morning, they've seen the problem before and the only thing they could suggest was flashing the phone, but I'd have to start again from scratch ( I assume he meant a factory reset?)
I declined, because I can still use my email, not sure what I will do if it gets worse.
Edited to add I'm still on WP8 (Nokia 1020)

Last edited:

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Seeing the same problem since Monday. Can't send email from yahoo account on WP 8.1 developer preview, though there's no problem receiving mail. I am not seeing the pop up asking for my password. I have the same server settings that Optiplex mentioned.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I have this too. I can send and receive,but everytime I open my mail I get asked for user name and password and then it tells me the info is incorrect. Fortunately I can press back and still get to my email. I know my password is fine as I can use it on my account on the PC.
Took the phone into Nokia Care this morning, they've seen the problem before and the only thing they could suggest was flashing the phone, but I'd have to start again from scratch ( I assume he meant a factory reset?)
I declined, because I can still use my email, not sure what I will do if it gets worse.
Edited to add I'm still on WP8 (Nokia 1020)

I have done a Factory Reset and it's of no use. Receiving emails has always been fine but sending is a sporadic affair (it will work for a couple of days and then stop working for a couple of days for no apparent reason and it's not working since last Wednesday). I tried Gmail (same problem) and Hotmail (no problem). I hope this is not a sneaky way to force us all to use Hotmail?

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have Yahoo email because it used to be Nokia mail and I was given the address when I bought my Nokia N8. ( it's actually an ovi.com address). I'd be a bit peed off if a Nokia mail address doesn't work with a Nokia phone.
Also I think I've been having problems sending, yesterday an email took 24hrs to get to the recipient.
Not sure what to do now :(

Smort

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
This sounds like a Yahoo problem. They've been having issues with mail of varying kinds for months, and even went down for a few days a couple of months ago.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Mines still OK. <relieved>. Although I'll be roaming for the next fortnight, hope that doesn't mess it up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05