Thinking about getting a WP device.

the_tech_eater

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a WP device, and have a few questions. I hope I posted this in the right section!

What's the best budget WP device ($100-200)?

How does WP compare to iOS and android in terms of apps? And compared to iOS and android, what is the quality of those apps?

Is WP stable? What is it's level of security?

Feel free to fill me in on anything I didn't mention, but you feel I should know. thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a WP device, and have a few questions. I hope I posted this in the right section!

How does WP compare to iOS and android in terms of apps? And compared to iOS and android, what is the quality of those apps?

Still way behind, I mean WP doesn't have 300 apps for a flashlight yet. Not to mention there is no apps to make those funny fart sounds. It is getting better, I came back to Windows Phone from Android, because I realized I didn't need 400 apps to do one thing. WP has all the apps I need, not to mention a heck of a lot of good games. But if you have to have google products and can't live without them, you might be in trouble with WP. I love my Lumia 1520, but it isn't in your price range.

Is WP stable? Stable? As stable as iOS or Android, maybe even more. No lag like androids, and you don't have to root and change roms a couple hundred times till you get one that doesn't lag.

What is it's level of security? It's closed system like iOS, so not much to worry about there.

Feel free to fill me in on anything I didn't mention, but you feel I should know. thanks!

Oh darn, those fart sounds was found. So I guess the app gap is shrinking... LoL

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/search?q=Fart&signin=true

Last edited:

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
1) I can think of the 520/521 and the 620 but also if you want more then either the 820 or 810 or 822 depending what carrier you have
2) well apps can differ from user to user so take this on a grain of salt but most of the apps I use are on WP. the quality on some apps on wp are that some are better like 6tag and there are worse ones
3) yes windows phone 8 is stable and the level of security is very secure

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! And I must say, you're sarcasm is rather funny! ;)

Let me offer a quick welcome to WPC!
Can't say much other than WP8\8.1 has met my simple needs very well.
Hope to see you with a new WP very soon.
Regards

the_tech_eater

May 4, 2014
Visit site
One more question: where is WP in terms of customizability? I know it's more than iOS. But is it as customizable as android? (Not that is matters much, as I'm not the type to change things around much.)

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
APPS AND GAMES:
You are probably going to miss a few games if you are a heavy gamer else you won't notice.
Some niche apps may be missing but that's a rare case unless you want apps to throw out your garbage, winetasting, fart sounds etc etc.
Some official DEVS have found a hobby of being a **** and not pushing out updates (WhatsApp, I'm talking about you here).
Some official apps may be lower in functionality compared to iOS. (Facebook and WhatsApp only)

In the app department, games may be missed, but you will rarely have any other problem.

STABLITY:
One of the most stable and frequently updated OSes around. NO RANDOM REBOOTS (if you keep your nose clean), no lags, no crashes (barring on the cheapest Lumia 520).

SECURITY:
In terms of consumer viewpoint, it is the most secure. No known vulnerablity till date. In terms of corporate, some things may be missing. Some companies don't allow WP as a BYOD.

CAMERA:
Get a nokia and forget a digital camera. Get the 1020, forget a DSLR.

USER EXPERIENCE:
Fluid, lag free, intuitive, minimalist design.
(You may complain about the updates Music app).
Cortana!!! Better than Siri at MOST of the THINGS THAT MATTER to an AVERAGE guy. (No WolframAlpha here.)
Live Tiles! (A novel way to present info)

I don't know about on-contract phones cuz I live in India. So I will tell you prices of unlocked phones:
Best budget phone (for a first time smartphone owner ONLY): Lumia 525/Lumia 630 (150$)
Best mid-range phone (avergae Joe): Lumia 920/925
Best high end phone: Lumia 930/Icon
Best niche devices: Lumia 1020/1520

Follow another compatriot's conversion to WP from iOS and his musings. Maybe you may relate to him http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/263879-considering-trying-out-windows-phone.html

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
One more question: where is WP in terms of customizability? I know it's more than iOS. But is it as customizable as android? (Not that is matters much, as I'm not the type to change things around much.)

Not too much customizable considering functioning (think Android rooting) but PERSONALIZATION IS THE BEST thing about WP.

the_tech_eater

May 4, 2014
Visit site
APPS AND GAMES:
You are probably going to miss a few games if you are a heavy gamer else you won't notice.
Some niche apps may be missing but that's a rare case unless you want apps to throw out your garbage, winetasting, fart sounds etc etc.
Some official DEVS have found a hobby of being a **** and not pushing out updates (WhatsApp, I'm talking about you here).
Some official apps may be lower in functionality compared to iOS. (Facebook and WhatsApp only)

In the app department, games may be missed, but you will rarely have any other problem.

STABLITY:
One of the most stable and frequently updated OSes around. NO RANDOM REBOOTS (if you keep your nose clean), no lags, no crashes (barring on the cheapest Lumia 520).

SECURITY:
In terms of consumer viewpoint, it is the most secure. No known vulnerablity till date. In terms of corporate, some things may be missing. Some companies don't allow WP as a BYOD.

CAMERA:
Get a nokia and forget a digital camera. Get the 1020, forget a DSLR.

USER EXPERIENCE:
Fluid, lag free, intuitive, minimalist design.
(You may complain about the updates Music app).
Cortana!!! Better than Siri at MOST of the THINGS THAT MATTER to an AVERAGE guy. (No WolframAlpha here.)
Live Tiles! (A novel way to present info)

I don't know about on-contract phones cuz I live in India. So I will tell you prices of unlocked phones:
Best budget phone (for a first time smartphone owner ONLY): Lumia 525/Lumia 630 (150$)
Best mid-range phone (avergae Joe): Lumia 920/925
Best high end phone: Lumia 930/Icon
Best niche devices: Lumia 1020/1520

Follow another compatriot's conversion to WP from iOS and his musings. Maybe you may relate to him http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/263879-considering-trying-out-windows-phone.html

Thank you for your informative reply!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

There are two major options I will give you, new, and pre-loved.
But pricing really varies depending on your market.
If you're in the US, your major options in that price grade are the off-contract Lumia 520/521 and maybe the 620 on ATT, T-Mo, and AIO respectively.
On-contract, you get access to higher end models at the cost of a contract and monthly bill. Those include the 920, 1520, ATIV SE etc...
If you're outside the US, the situation is different.
Now for pre-loved devices, you should be able to pick up a higher end device such as the 820 or 8X for a lower cost, however you compensate for that by taking the risk it could be a lemon, a scam, and generally the risks associated with used devices.

The staples? Windows has it. However, that one flash-in-the-pan fad app? Probably not until its gone. There's a gap, but it really varies depending on the user. some depend on x app, while I don't. Quality is both better and worse, we have some great ones, but then again there are some nearly abandoned ones. I'd check out the store at windowsphone.com to really see how it is.

It's about as stable as you can get. In my experience, its the most stable. The 8.1 Developer Preview did take some stability, but the features are worth the slight quirks. For me at least.
It is very secure, it hasn't been hacked yet (in a way known to the public, who knows, maybe the NSA has something cooked up) and theres the usual compliment of security features. Remote erase, lock, PIN code...

It's in the middle I'd say. You get more advanced flexibility in the form of a customizable start screen. (various sized tiles, colors, even wallpaper in 8.1) which is more than the rearrangable icons and wallpaper of iOS. However, it is unmatched by the ability of Android to completely swap out launchers and themes, whole chunks of stuff...

My input in bold as the usual.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just an idea what 8.1 looks like on a 1520... My 520 is very similar but a lot smaller.. So customization is in the eyes of the beholder...

wp_ss_20140501_0002.jpg

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

If you are considering getting a WP I recommend what other OEMs other than Nokia have up their sleeves. Plus WP8.1 devices are coming this month

Qaddafi

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
It's a good system, but transferring/syncing files is almost impossible.

There's 3 main methods of file organization, and they all suck.

Drag & Drop - It's not even true mass storage mode. It's that MTP crap that takes forever to transfer, it's buggy as hell, and not everything shows up.
Windows Phone App - It works when it wants to and it's hard to sync files that are in folders
Windows Desktop App - It'll take you forever to sync every single time

You can alternatively use OneDrive, but that seems like a work around to the problems and not a real solution. What's funny is that it's super unnecessarily complicated to sync files between a Windows 8 Phone and a Windows 8 computer. It shouldn't be, but it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre