I want to switch back to WP but I'm scared! Hold me!

David Hilliard

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I love WP OS over all others. Android bores me to tears and I've been on iPhones since 2007 except for all of 2013 I had an HTC 8X. I loved the OS and phone for a while, but then the problems started. My 8X continually crashed. I swapped it out for 2 other 8Xs over 9 months. Finally, my 3rd 8X had all of the same problems. I freaked out on Verizon and told them if they didn't let me out of my contract, I would switch to AT&T. They let me out, so I got an iPhone 5S and couldn't be happier....except I'm bored with iOS. I really REALLY want a WP but I'm scared of bad hardware and bad battery life, with call quality being a close 3rd. I can live with all other nuances but those 3 mentioned above.

My iPhone 5S has amazing battery life, it rarely crashes and the call quality is among the best. I don't see any compelling phone that can compete. The Icon is very interesting but with 8.1 the battery life seems to be mostly crap, though I do know a custom FW and updates to 8.1 will likely fix some of that. Second, apparently the call quality is subpar on the Icon. Really? It's F'ing 2014 and we have to worry about call quality still? The hardware seems to be OK, but that's only 1 out of the 3.

And last, there are rumors of other phones coming out(but nobody really knows when and if they will be high end), but it seems they need some kind of badass phone to convince people to move to WP(I know I want one). So, here I sit, sad for my choices. Of course, apps are an issue, but I'm mostly OK without them as there are usually alternatives, but I will miss a few! Any thoughts? Thanks for listening.

Nitesh Tilwani

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I love WP OS over all others. Android bores me to tears and I've been on iPhones since 2007 except for all of 2013 I had an HTC 8X. I loved the OS and phone for a while, but then the problems started. My 8X continually crashed. I swapped it out for 2 other 8Xs over 9 months. Finally, my 3rd 8X had all of the same problems. I freaked out on Verizon and told them if they didn't let me out of my contract, I would switch to AT&T. They let me out, so I got an iPhone 5S and couldn't be happier....except I'm bored with iOS. I really REALLY want a WP but I'm scared of bad hardware and bad battery life, with call quality being a close 3rd. I can live with all other nuances but those 3 mentioned above.

My iPhone 5S has amazing battery life, it rarely crashes and the call quality is among the best. I don't see any compelling phone that can compete. The Icon is very interesting but with 8.1 the battery life seems to be mostly crap, though I do know a custom FW and updates to 8.1 will likely fix some of that. Second, apparently the call quality is subpar on the Icon. Really? It's F'ing 2014 and we have to worry about call quality still? The hardware seems to be OK, but that's only 1 out of the 3.

And last, there are rumors of other phones coming out(but nobody really knows when and if they will be high end), but it seems they need some kind of badass phone to convince people to move to WP(I know I want one). So, here I sit, sad for my choices. Of course, apps are an issue, but I'm mostly OK without them as there are usually alternatives, but I will miss a few! Any thoughts? Thanks for listening.

A respectable option you have chosen(Lumia Icon). I guess you should go for it blindly. All of us friends here use Lumia range and trust me, the battery life, the call quality, network reception and the in call voice clarity is just awesome when compared to androids in the market. Man my in-call volume is set to Half, still that sometimes feels loud... But these are my impression about all the Lumias I've tried though i never have tried the Icon... But from my past Lumia experience i can say Icon cannot be bad at all...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
You had a bad case of the HTC-ITIS, its a pretty lousy phone for those reasons you mentioned. I had one for a month and sold it to a friend, it totally died on him 2 weeks later. Needless to say Nokia is of much higher in all the of those categories.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen anything about the Icon having poor call quality. I have three Windows Phones - a Lumia 810, 920 and 925 - and people have always told me the quality of calls with me while I've been using any one of those phones was great. I think you should definitely come back to Windows Phone. You know you want to! :wink:

zerog46

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up an Icon the other day, this is my first windows phone. Needless to say it has been great, I'm in the process of updating to 8.1 and have been very happy with it. The call quality has been on par with my iPhone 5C and 5S.

David Hilliard

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Stop peer pressuring me! :devil:

I guess I could try the Icon out for 14 days and pay the $35 restocking fee if I don't like it. One question, since the 5s has a micro sim and the Icon has a mini? sim, how do I make that work? Do I jsut get a new number for now so I don't port my current number just in case I don't like the Icon?

David Hilliard

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up an Icon the other day, this is my first windows phone. Needless to say it has been great, I'm in the process of updating to 8.1 and have been very happy with it. The call quality has been on par with my iPhone 5C and 5S.

So why did you switch to the Icon from a 5s? Can you be more specific about the battery life and your normal usage pattern? Any apps that you are sad about not having yet? Does it crash?

zerog46

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I didn't switch. I have a few lines. No crashes. Only a few games I miss and not sure about the battery yet. To soon been using the heck out of it.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Akuji_ism

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I've used WP 7.5 on LG E-900 till the phone screen broke. After that I've used iPhone & BlackBerry 10, but now have returned to WP 8 (Lumia 1520). I like the OS but am open to both iOS & BlackBerry 10 so my next phone might not obviously be WP-based.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I was in the EXACT same issue for the last couple of months.

In Nov 2013 i was up for a renewal contract, my 920 had disappointed after GDR2 (with the camera) and decided to give iPhone one more shot after the 3G (my first smartphone). Ya it was a bore after 2 years and since the 5S came out i figured the re-sale value was a big benefit if i wanted another phone.

Lets get something straight, as you mentioned i agree 150%. iPhone 5S battery life is exceptional for its size, in addition its consistency and idle time is flawless. The phone just works perfectly, from Touch ID to surfing the web, to using apps, to calling..the phone is the definition of stability. Its got some issues like Siri is inconsistently working, iMessage can be wonky (sometimes messages will come a day later) and i've had the phone reboot 3 times but nothing horrible. But the problem: iOS is a total BORE and the app situation FOR ME i discovered is absolutely useless (i really only used 4 apps total not avaliable on WP, and i could get those websites at almost the same performance). Also i originally thought the screen size at 4" was a benefit since the phone size was nice and compact, but that also proved wrong for me as it was too small.

After much dilemma, I gave my wife my 5S (she wont use another phone) and traded her iPhone 5 for a Lumia 1020...and after a few days im happy to be back. Yes the battery can be inconsistent (but it does come down to device and OS) which im hoping is worked out on 8.1 (using 8 still, havent tried 8.1 yet), but with everything else WP is a clear winner for me. I found no benefit in iMessage, App selection and size...battery life was the only thing keeping me on the fence.

You had a bad run with 8X, id say if you decide to switch back go with Nokia...i cannot blame this Hw as its awesome looking, built as a tank and the cameras are just glorious.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I was in the EXACT same issue for the last couple of months.

In Nov 2013 i was up for a renewal contract, my 920 had disappointed after GDR2 (with the camera) and decided to give iPhone one more shot after the 3G (my first smartphone). Ya it was a bore after 2 years and since the 5S came out i figured the re-sale value was a big benefit if i wanted another phone.

Lets get something straight, as you mentioned i agree 150%. iPhone 5S battery life is exceptional for its size, in addition its consistency and idle time is flawless. The phone just works perfectly, from Touch ID to surfing the web, to using apps, to calling..the phone is the definition of stability. Its got some issues like Siri is inconsistently working, iMessage can be wonky (sometimes messages will come a day later) and i've had the phone reboot 3 times but nothing horrible. But the problem: iOS is a total BORE and the app situation FOR ME i discovered is absolutely useless (i really only used 4 apps total not avaliable on WP, and i could get those websites at almost the same performance). Also i originally thought the screen size at 4" was a benefit since the phone size was nice and compact, but that also proved wrong for me as it was too small.

After much dilemma, I gave my wife my 5S (she wont use another phone) and traded her iPhone 5 for a Lumia 1020...and after a few days im happy to be back. Yes the battery can be inconsistent (but it does come down to device and OS) which im hoping is worked out on 8.1 (using 8 still, havent tried 8.1 yet), but with everything else WP is a clear winner for me. I found no benefit in iMessage, App selection and size...battery life was the only thing keeping me on the fence.

You had a bad run with 8X, id say if you decide to switch back go with Nokia...i cannot blame this Hw as its awesome looking, built as a tank and the cameras are just glorious.
Definitely a bad run with HTC, their phones are hit or miss, and the 8x was a miss as far as build quality goes...

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes I've heard that from others, never owned an HTC myself. Both of my Lumia devices were used and work as expected so I can give a thumbs up from my experience.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My experince- and it will be my last for a while- was with the HTC Titan and Titan 2 for WP7. I got a miss as well. The amount of time working the angles trying to get them to work right ... just months of my life I will never get back.

The Icon rocks. I would almost offer to pay the 35$ restocking fee if you don't love it. So long as you are not a huge iTunes person or a major app downloader, WP 8 on that amazing 5.0" hi def screen and all the extras/good support Nokia throws will convince you.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
My experince- and it will be my last for a while- was with the HTC Titan and Titan 2 for WP7. I got a miss as well. The amount of time working the angles trying to get them to work right ... just months of my life I will never get back.

The Icon rocks. I would almost offer to pay the 35$ restocking fee if you don't love it. So long as you are not a huge iTunes person or a major app downloader, WP 8 on that amazing 5.0" hi def screen and all the extras/good support Nokia throws will convince you.
I sure wish I could get my hands on one soon, my upgrade isn't for awhile. I still love my 928 though, I just treated her to a new case today and some NFC tags.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre