Outrageous WP review in InfoWorld

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
"There's no way to jump to, say, songs beginning with S."- and he claims he has been with windows phone since the beginning? There is a big *** letter button and he never thought to click it?!
And he says WP copied everything, notification center(there aren't many other ways they could have done this for the convenience of every user it has to come down from the top to be accessed from anywhere, I didn't see articles about iOS copying Android...), Do not disturb(for real, this is not an ios feature only it is a simple setting that stops notifications.), Cortana (Of all the voice assistants he said they copied Google Now...)
"The Office suite for Windows Phone is very weak, with a barely functional text editor masquerading as Word and a basically functional spreadsheet editor sporting the Excel name. There is no PowerPoint app. And there are no third-party apps that come anywhere close to the office apps available for iOS or even Android."-Please kill me now...iOS Office is exactly like the one on WP, just different themes and there is a powerpoint app, and please don't link me to an iPad office link, cuz I could link you to a surface in action.
"Microsoft has copied iOS's Passbook feature to let compatible apps store tickets and loyalty cards in the Wallet app. The Wallet app also takes a page from Android"-Wallet either came out before Passbook or a few months after it which would not allow it to be copied that fast and Passbook doesn't even function the same.
He also keeps saying about cloning, when it comes to features they choose what we want and make it theirs, there are only so many ways they can do a feature.

P.S.: I am not a WP ****** biased only to WP, I love iOS and Android, but only own a iOS device and WP device. This article just makes me extremely mad because the author is so biased in his review and so full of crap. if we want to talk about who steals from who, I could mention that iOS steals from the jailbreaking community all the time, matter fact much of iOS 7 was possible with jailbreaking, but that's another story.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In other words, every version of Windows Phone beforehand is a joke.

Which is pretty much what Windows Mobile and BlackBerry users said about iOS 3, because prior to that iOS did not have copy/paste, MMS, or a landscape keyboard for most applications.

There's nothing wrong with calling copy and clone features for what they are. Android and iOS have been copying and cloning each other for years.

And again, most human-written articles are going to have bias. I like Windows Phone 8.1; if I wrote an article about it, you'd be able to tell. The author of the article linked by the OP obviously doesn't much like Windows Phone 8.1... but through his bias he gives it a nod of approval several times.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
... if we want to talk about who steals from who, I could mention that iOS steals from the jailbreaking community all the time, matter fact much of iOS 7 was possible with jailbreaking, but that's another story.

Why the obsession with who copied what from whom? Good ideas are always copied by competitors - and so they should be. If a feature is useful in one phone OS then it's probably useful in others. Microsoft SHOULD copy every useful feature and function in both iOS and Android because if I choose a Windows Phone I don't want to miss out on any potentially useful function. And that sentiment is equally valid from any OS perspective.

Windows Phone has been playing catchup with iOS and Android in many crucial areas. Windows 8.1 looks like it will bring a number of welcome enhancements that users of other phone OSs have been enjoying for a while now. But from what I've seen, it doesn't do much more than this. And that's essentially the argument presented in the article that this thread is about.

Certainly there are some errors and bias in the article, but to me that doesn't equate to any "outrageous" skulduggery by the author. Windows Phone is currently a 'niche' player in the market. Windows Phone 8.1 should broaden its appeal somewhat by providing more parity with iOS and Android - but not much more than that. And that's all the author's saying - and I agree.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Why the obsession with who copied what from whom? Good ideas are always copied by competitors - and so they should be. If a feature is useful in one phone OS then it's probably useful in others. Microsoft SHOULD copy every useful feature and function in both iOS and Android because if I choose a Windows Phone I don't want to miss out on any potentially useful function. And that sentiment is equally valid from any OS perspective.

Windows Phone has been playing catchup with iOS and Android in many crucial areas. Windows 8.1 looks like it will bring a number of welcome enhancements that users of other phone OSs have been enjoying for a while now. But from what I've seen, it doesn't do much more than this. And that's essentially the argument presented in the article that this thread is about.

Certainly there are some errors and bias in the article, but to me that doesn't equate to any "outrageous" skulduggery by the author. Windows Phone is currently a 'niche' player in the market. Windows Phone 8.1 should broaden its appeal somewhat by providing more parity with iOS and Android - but not much more than that. And that's all the author's saying - and I agree.

When they steal from jailbreaking community they are taking raw ideas from these Jailbreaking app developers, and giving them no credit at all. It is nothing like copying a feature from android, it is stealing and idea and presenting it as your own idea with no props to the owner at all and not only is it wrong, it can put that jailbreak developer out of business because their app is no longer needed, but I said that's another story cuz its off topic.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
While I definitely agree WP is playing catch-up and should be taking good ideas that work well with this ecosystem. Since they confirmed two major release updates after 8.1, and with the new structure of 8.1 being closer to android...we need to hope that those 2 gdrs close the gap even further and faster. Now that they've separate linked applications, I have some faith the right direction is coming...it has to be. Hope.

swervinsuburban

May 9, 2014
Visit site
All three operating systems have their strengths and weaknesses I own devices from all three and just got into windows phone a few months ago a Lumia icon from an iPhone 5 (power button broke three times, one bad sim card reader) I don't get the action center in 8.1 when you have lives tiles on the largest setting,that show you the same stuff, all of the os's are pretty evenly matched some having better exclusive things some having worse. Android leases a ton of patents from Microsoft and the original windows mobile so before people go blabing their mouth's about copying maybe they should look into MS's patents first.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
"Microsoft has created its own version of the Swype keyboard familiar to Android users, which lets you trace patterns on the keyboard to enter text rather than tap each key separately. Essentially, the keys over which you drag your finger are typed for you."

I think Andriod copied from Nokia this Swype keyboard.

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I was laughing at him by the end of his first comment - "There was no cut and paste, for example" - I still remember the ranting from IOS users in the early days (I was one of them) that there was no C&P in their OS either....

You cant win these arguments, if you lack functionality, you are behind the competition, if you add the functionality, you copied the competition. My only comment to the reviewer would be to make sure you check your facts (particularly when your criticisms can be fairly applied to your 'favoured' solutions just as easily) - it makes you look a bit of a ****, to be honest.

Nick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos