Lets be honest, 512mb Ram devices suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
What's this fantastic myth that everyone keeps peddling about 512MB ram devices being smooth and fast etc. I haven't had that experience. On my two phones, one on 8.0 and one on 8.1, they both lag at times. Both of them even have this weird thing where the home screen redraws it self and the device gets really laggy. Switching apps can be a pain,and sometimes things get slow. Overall I don't mind but it feels patronizing to here some dude with a 1520/Icon/1020 tell us about how 2GB ram is overkill and 512 is not.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I have both Lumia 920 and Lumia 520 (mum uses l520) though Lumia 920 is much faster in processing/opening apps (due to faster CPU and 1GB ram ) where as Lumia 520 is 1sec behind Lumia 920 in opening apps. I will compare speed test like this -opening IE on both devices was smooth, theverge opened in desktop mode (scrolling, zoom in/out was smooth on both devices ) , whatsapp was a pain on both devices , opening and reading email , calendar was same (note I didn't close any apps in background ) , opened a asphalt 8 (Lumia 920 was quick due to faster CPU and GPU ) Lumia 520 was left behind with just 3-4 sec delay.

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I can easily overlook the slight amount of lag on the 521 I have, mainly because I bought it for $70. It is certainly very usable, and for most applications it is perfectly smooth. The core functions of the phone work fine, the only lag I run encounter is with some games and resource heavy apps. I think sometimes we get waayyy too picky on these devices, and expect the budget devices to operate the same as the high-end flagship devices.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

nyolc8

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
... Both of them even have this weird thing where the home screen redraws it self and the device gets really laggy...
I don't get how do you mean that the home screen redraws itself. I have an L520 and I never saw anything like this. Maybe you have many app pinned to homescreen?

Gabriel M said:
Well, that problem is about to end because there's no upcoming devices with 512MB of RAM I suppose..
Well, the 630 not released(shipped) yet and it's have 512Mb RAM.

vakama94

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 520 and while I wish it could be faster it's exactly what I expected from an entry phone on Windows Phone. Also, now that I'm rocking Windows Phone 8.1 dev preview it's even better than when I bought it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't get how do you mean that the home screen redraws itself. I have an L520 and I never saw anything like this. Maybe you have many app pinned to homescreen?

Well, the 630 not released(shipped) yet and it's have 512Mb RAM.

actually, i think that the start screen redrawing itself, its because of
A) low ram, it redraws after i close apps like uc, magnify.
B) low free internal memory. I never had the start screen redrawing problems when i had more than 1gb internal free. Now i just have 150mb and the screen redraws very often.
What's more, many times (to my embarrassment in front of my friends), when i unlock my phone, it shows a blank screen for 5-6 seconds while it redraws. Really bad, but i cant expect a 512 mb ram phone with less than 5% free storage to keep the start screen loaded all the time.
(this might be because i once read that when the free storage is less than 6%, the phone takes to high handed space freeing.. This might be one of those things, and i think it should be fine if i get about 10% free.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Performance understandably is less than that of a mid-ranger/flagship. When performance is degraded, worth noting a soft reset and clear it up a bit and a hard reset won't hurt. But that isn't the point I take it.
IMO the fluidity of the lower-end is a bit overblow from my toying with my sister's 521.

But hey, its true, lower-specced devices aren't going to perform as well, its practically a rule of nature. However, the big thing on the other side of the equation is cost.
They aren't miracle devices, but for the cost, you have to realize there are compromises made.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
On my two phones, both with 8.0 and 8.1... 8.0 cannot possibly get apps on SD Card. They both have over 1GB
Free

then all i can say is that pinning too many 'intensive' tiles, like scroll tiles (which displays pictures just like the photos hub does), or weave, mixradio... I think those tiles slow down the start screen loading speed. Obviously, its a phone, not chuck norris's pencil box ( :)) ) so it is bound to struggle if you pin too much stuff.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can't call me picky for getting pissed the START SCREEN lags

Try an ultra-low end Android phone with 512MB of RAM and you'll be jumping back to Windows Phone in a week! Phones with 512MB of RAM are meant to be ultra-low end with an ultra-low price, so it's important to look at that factor. I would say that it's unreasonable to expect performance comparable to a high end phone. However, I actually haven't heard any issues though with Windows Phone on 512MB of RAM until you mentioned it. Not saying that you're lying or anything like that, but it's just unfortunate that that's your experience.

topcms

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Whatsapp crashes all the time. I can't go back on a conversation more than 5 pages that the app crashes. A lot of times a have to attempt to open Xbox music twice because it crashes the first time. A lot of apps crash... I don't know if it's due to 512 of ram or because of the OS itself. But it pisses me off a lot!! I'm using a Lumia 720.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I agree. Whatsapp crashes all the time. I can't go back on a conversation more than 5 pages that the app crashes. A lot of times a have to attempt to open Xbox music twice because it crashes the first time. A lot of apps crash... I don't know if it's due to 512 of ram or because of the OS itself. But it pisses me off a lot!! I'm using a Lumia 720.

actually, its a big bug with WhatsApp. It has been fixed in the private beta, but the store version hasn't been updated in ages. It is expected anytime soon, would have major features, all have been tested out in the private beta, just wait a while.
For the Xbox music, well they're doing their best to make it fine, check back after 2 weeks for the next update.
P.s. Of all the apps i use, the only app which crashes at times is uc browser. No other apps crash on my 520.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Even I am using L720 its issue with WhatsApp seen it crash even on devices with 1Gig of ram so that is different. While just do a soft reset and the problem with xbox music and other things should be fixed :)
Because I personally haven't faced any issues apart from WhatsApp thing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa