No "Find nearby WiFi" in Settings > WiFi

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
On this page I read:

"If you're out and looking for WiFi hotspots, you can also go to Settings > WiFi and tap Find nearby WiFi. Maps will open and show you WiFi hotspots that are nearby."​

Why don't see "Find nearby WiFi" in my WiFi settings?

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
phone information

Name: Windows Phone
Model: NOKIA Lumia 520
Carrier: AT&T
Software: Windows Phone 8.0

My WiFi settings page says WiFi networking is on. Under that it lists some WiFi networks including the one I'm connected to. Under that there's an "advanced" button. Is that all there's supposed to be?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
this looks like a software issue , lets try with a soft reset (this wont delete any of your phone data ) press volume down + lock button at the same time until your phone vibrates and reboot itself (ignore the black screen to power down the device )

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, location is on. I spent like 30 minutes configuring the homepage/start screen or whatever it's called with all the icons and I'm afraid of a soft reset right now. I'll try to find a picture of the WiFi screen to see if mine is normal.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, location is on. I spent like 30 minutes configuring the homepage/start screen or whatever it's called with all the icons and I'm afraid of a soft reset right now. I'll try to find a picture of the WiFi screen to see if mine is normal.
soft reset wont change/del any of your data which includes your start screen :smile:

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I also tried to disconnect from my WiFi hotspot but I can't. I unselected "automatically connect to WiFi hotspots" but I'm still connected even when I turn the phone off and on. And I still don't see "Find nearby WiFi". Then I tried soft rebooting again but it turns on "automatically connect to WiFi hotspots" and connects me again.

...maybe I should try WP 8.1.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Sadly this is a software issue , you have to try to do a hard rest (backup all your important data before processing this method , this will set your phone to factory settings ). Go into phone settings /about and then tap on reset your phone. This will erase all the data from your phone and will fix most of the issues you are having (including find nearby wifi option in wifi settings ).

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
There's probably a website with a hotspot map. I can upload that to my phone as an image and that will be good enough I guess.

Sadly this is a software issue , you have to try to do a hard rest ...

Maybe I'll try that in the morning. Hmm...maybe I'll choose to download the developers version of WP 8.1.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
There's probably a website with a hotspot map. I can upload that to my phone as an image and that will be good enough I guess.

Maybe I'll try that in the morning. Hmm...maybe I'll choose to download the developers version of WP 8.1.

ImageUploadedByWPCentral Forums1399782472.330192.jpg
ImageUploadedByWPCentral Forums1399782501.770985.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I tried a hard reset and still no "Find nearby WiFi." Some of the bugs I read about in WP 8.1 worry me more than the bugs on my phone but I'm going to install it anyway. At least I can help Microsoft with 8.1 before it's released. I just hope it doesn't make my phone catch fire. I better not button my phone pocket with 8.1 running.

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I just read that. I also read about other things Data Sense does that I want even more than Find Nearby Wifi but I guess I can't get it with AT&T.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
AT&T phones contains special AT&T Hot Spot module built-in so that it will let you use all AT&T wifi hot spots automatically as long as you are a valid AT&T customer with data plans. Keep in mind that a lot of AT&T hot spots are not free. That's why this special module is built into every AT&T branded phones.

I suspect with this special requirement, you won't see the 'Find nearby wifi' feature on AT&T phones which is a database managed by Microsoft, not AT&T. You can hardreset or software reset all day long and you won't get the things that are axed by AT&T back.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs