Will you stay on Windows Phone 8?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Man all these issues im having with my contacts who own iPhones trying to message me, this is HORRIBLE! I have done EVERYTHING listed online and its so random, one day its a text and the next day its an iMessage...and it flips, no consistency. My number is not tied to my Apple ID, im using my email but people's phones are still iMessaging me...and this is an issue on Apple's iMessage servers. an iMessage cache of a few days to a week? OK acceptable, fine! But 30-45 days?! My gosh, i will NEVER EVER again use an iPhone...this has been the worst experience. It's so bad and scary that my iPhone friends who were considering switching to WP now are second guessing themselves because they do not want to go through same trouble. I get the purpose of iMessage, but this is absurd. Apple, honestly you SUCK...these 2 weeks have been brutal, have another potential 4-6 weeks of this left...HOPEFULLY the iMessage cache will remove my number by then.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm absolutely staying on Windows Phone in general. I'm hoping to move from 7.5 to 8.1 soon, and I don't think I'm ever going to switch to Android or iOS ever-ever.

7.5 to 8.1 is going to be such an upgrade for you! I still have my OG HTC Titan, that is stuck on 7.5. It feels so old compared to 8.1. Haha.

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
If I look at it as an utilitarianist, I would say that the net utility it gives me has increased, because there are more pros than cons. In this case, it is my moral obligation to stick to 8.1.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
But what about you? Will you go to WP8.1 (or stay if your on the dev update) or will you try to hang on to WP8 as long as possible?

8.1 is still in developer preview and the appropriate firmwares have not been pushed out. I'm not making any kind of decisions until I have the entire experience in my hands. I would only go back to 8.0 if 8.1 was glitchy to the point I couldn't count on it. So far so good. I spotted a few issues but overall it seems okay.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
A Lumia 925 user here ... And I did run WP 8.1 for the first 3 weeks it was out (DP). But reverted back to 8.0 - main issue for me was battery life.

Went from 25-30 hours on 8.0 ~ to roughly 15 hours TOPS running 8.1. Drove me nuts constantly looking to recharge phone. (And yes .... did ALL the typical stuff ~ resets, closing of apps, syncing of emails, etc.) That everyone talked about on here. Nothing helped battery issues.

But .... Lol .... I'm DEFINITELY going to reinstall 8.1 again, once firmware is added by carrier!!

I've got my 25-30 hours back running 8.0 again .... But man do I miss Notifications, Word Flow keyboard, transparent backgrounds and Cortana - for so many features it had (news, weather, sports, traffic, reminders and more!!)

WP 8.1 ... overall ... really ran smoothly for me on my 925 - not an issue at all. I just could not take the constant battery issues.

Here's hoping ... ✌✌

😎
i just moved to wp 8.1 but low battery life and bad problems with 3G connections made set back to 8.0

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The sky is the limit for WP. I can't get enough of 8.1. From the amazing look of my start screen with transparent tiles, to the action center, to cortana, to data, wifi and battery sense to EI 11. There is so much to love. I could complain about Xbox music if I used it but I don't. I love the games, and the best camera experience. Now with MS taking over for the develpment of Nokia, you're going to see some amazing things. I can't wait.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't switch back to WP8. I love three columns and I would never want to use WP ever again without notification center.

Most of all because I don't care about the Music or Games app.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I intend on sticking with WP8. It's simple enough for me and does what I need from my phone. I like the interface too.

IceCrush

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I do get your point, for a couple of things:
- they ruined the OS integration of social networks so bad, we had an advantage there and the phone saved you from opening the app itself.. But for some reason i still have hope that when the apps get updated we will have more functionality or at least some of the things we lost.
- The other thing is Music, i don't know why they keep making it get worse with every update, first they remove zune, next they put some laggy app with zero sync functionality, not everyone love that cloud thing.. And we don't like you.

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I honestly think this whole tradeoff thing shouldn't be happening. Trading off integration for extra features is dumb. They should have stuck with both. They invested the time into integration and having a fluid, unique OS, and now its getting tossed out the window.
Do both. If you're not going to do things right, then don't do them at all.
8.1 doesn't even feel as responsive. My buddy has the same phone as me but still on 8.0 GDR3 because he's waiting on final rollout, and every time I used his phone I'm quite surprised at how much more responsive it feels right off the bat. Even just scrubbing up and down the Start screen. Its crazy. I hope when the official rollout comes we at least get the responsive bit back. That was so signature to WP for me.
7.8 on my Focus Flash was already more responsive than 8 but I let that slide. Now its nearing Android levels. And that's pretty low in comparison to 7.x

Theres my two cents.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
No, it isn't. There's no problem at all with performing a hard reset on 8.1, you'll get the vast majority of your stuff back, even if the backup fails at 96%.
maybe...but there's another thread here were 1520 having having same issues loading start screen and the device getting real hot when this happens.....they have all done hard resets and still have same issue so I'm sure my 1520 will not be the exception so it seems like firmware issues .only reason I have not done hard resets.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I have a 820, 925 and two 520's as backup. When they release the final 8.1 I will put it on one of the 520's to experiment with before I download it to my 820 or her 925. I know my wife will take awhile to move to it; but I doubt I will have much trouble with the crossover. I am very happy with 8.0 but I also know the future is 8.1 so we need to move as soon as possible. I have three android tablets with 2.3, 4.0 and 4.2 on them. I almost never run across a problem on the older tablet with 2.3 on it. In fact it is the more stable of the bunch. But if you don't upgrade in mobile devices sooner or later it is going to bite you on the ****. Damn I hate that. lol

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Staying with 8.1 as I use notifications and Cortana much more than I thought I would.

As for the hubs and integration I'm hoping these come right with updates and up roar from the fans here :)

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Personally for me, I'm fine with both 8.1 and 8. I'm currently running 8.1 Developers preview on my L920, and I have to say, this is so much better than 8. Especially the new swype wordflow keyboard. I love typing messages on my phone now. Also, the wallpaper behind the tiles are simply gorgeous. Other than that, the notification centre is not much of a bummer for me (although the toggles help me to free up some space on my start screen that is meant for connectivity tiles, but, oh well). However, using the developers preview also means that there WILL be bugs. Stuff like screen glitching, battery draining fast, crappy reception, so-so integration of social apps are some of the stuff that annoy me, but as I said, its a developers preview. So there WILL be bugs. I am currently planning to get a L1020 (waited a long time for that, and I am seriously going to get that), which will mean that I will be downgraded to 8.0 again. Sure, I will miss some features of 8.1, but hey, June is not that far away, and I just have to wait a little more before Nokia pushes out their Cyan update. I would rather get the full support from Nokia, with all my drivers updated properly and whatnot, together with the full WP8.1 update, so that I can have a pleasant experience on my phone.

In conclusion, I'm totally fine with both 8.0 and 8.1. Both have their pros and cons, and I love both equally. So I wouldn't mind if I used either. Yeahhhhh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers