Whatsapp spoiling the face of Windows Phone 8(.1)

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Whatsapp for Windows Phone 8 was last updated in early January 2014. Its been over 4 months now and there is no update in sight.

We all know Whatsapp by far is the most dominating messaging app on all the smart phone platforms viz. Android, iOS and Windows Phone. All I see is Windows phone users struggling in despair with bugs and screaming for an update. I have also seen users ready to leave Windows Phones because they are frustrated with Whatsapp and the way things are going. If you contact support asking when an update is scheduled you get a standard format reply every time (I'm sure all of you'll know what I'm taking about).

According to me I believe Whatsapp dev team lacks knowledge on how to go about with a release. They are trying to fix all the bugs, add several new features in just one go. Instead they should have first focused on ironing out the bugs people currently face, then release a few features, check for stability and fix bugs, then add few more features and so on. This way it would have been better and users would have been a lot more happier.

Now days Whatsapp has become such a key app in everyone's life that when they consider a switch of platform the first thing they check or inquire about is how good Whatsapp is. Currently its pathetic and hence many are reluctant for a change.

Considering all the above said, I personally feel Whatsapp is spoiling the face of Windows Phone. This doesn't look good for the MS ecosystem. How ever much MS struggles to improve their OS and services, if Whatsapp fails it would hurt a lot.

So what do you guys have to say about this ?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It isn't just Whatsapp - it is all apps for that matter. None of them are up to the mark. WP8.1 and apps just don't work. Be it native Microsoft apps or third party. It is unfair to expect whatsapp update when Microsoft's Skype is in 2011. WP8.1 is to apps, what WP7.8 was to WP7.5 users - broken.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
what are the issues? I do not have any whatsapp issues on my Lumia 928

Delayed Notifications, General Sluggishness, No Background wallpaper support, no option to hide last seen status, Battery drain, Messing with the Audio API (in WP7.8)...

I could go on but i think these are enough for a start.

PS. I would like to mention General sluggishness again.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
It isn't just Whatsapp - it is all apps for that matter. None of them are up to the mark. WP8.1 and apps just don't work. Be it native Microsoft apps or third party. It is unfair to expect whatsapp update when Microsoft's Skype is in 2011. WP8.1 is to apps, what WP7.8 was to WP7.5 users - broken.
I'm pretty sure apps do work...

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
windows phone 8.1 is still in developer preview state , it isn't available to users who haven't opted for DP. Whatsapp developers have managed to build a solid app (its in private beta ) which includes chat background , audio upload , media upload ? . I think they are waiting for windows phone 8.1 to hit all handsets later this summer :smile:

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any problems with whatsapp, It happened a couple of times that messages didn't get delivered (instantly) but that's it. I'm perfectly happy with whatsapp on WP, I don't know what everyone's complaining about.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any problems with whatsapp, It happened a couple of times that messages didn't get delivered (instantly) but that's it. I'm perfectly happy with whatsapp on WP, I don't know what everyone's complaining about.
Poor performance, no backgrounds, no auto-save media, no "last seen" hiding etc.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Whatsapp is very basic, but I still have that "connectivity issue" bug that's been going on for months, since last year. I have began using viber and its much more fun to use with a lot more features, although it is slow to load up compared to whatsapp.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Everyone doesn't have the same phone as you mate. You may be lucky. If you see the Official Whatsapp thread, there are several users there reporting bugs that they are facing.

I left using WhatsApp.using hike instead.
Amongst my friend circle, no one uses hike, Line and We Chat. Almost all my friends have Android phones where Whatsapp is very stable. So if I switch to any of the other messaging apps it makes no sense as I will be totally isolated.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
what are the issues? I do not have any whatsapp issues on my Lumia 928

^This.

I have a 1520 and Whatsapp works almost perfectly on my 1520. An issue I have run into is when I need to send a screen shot I have to do it through whatsapp. When I do it through the screenshot folder Whatsapp isn't shown as an option for sharing. There are a couple of other niggles that bother me but that's about it. Considering this app is saving me $15 a month I hardly think those minor inconveniences are enough to have a meltdown or slander the programmers.

Arka1412

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with u..Many people I know are ready to dump WP due this Whatsapp..Its been 4 long months and still no update is available.Release of an update has nothing to do with OS versions..So people don't give lame excuses

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Just updated to 8.1 & as expected.. Notifications are broke. So people have gone back to txting to reach me since I'm not replying to whatsapp quick enough..

If anything, the delay in updates could hurt whatsapp more than microsoft/windows phone.

I will not be switching platforms just for an app.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Many people I know are ready to dump WP due this Whatsapp

Which means there'd be fewer people on WPC whinging about WhatsApp? Hmm... might be worth it.

Its been 4 long months and still no update is available

So what do you want or expect Microsoft - or WPC for that matter - to do about it? Go clobber the developers until they submit? Pay them off?

If the WhatsApp developers don't want to support Windows Phone there's nothing anyone can do about it except the WhatsApp developers. And the best way to NOT change their mind is to dump the platform for one with a better WhatsApp app; that will only insure that WP doesn't get features, updates, or a well supported app.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not missing any feature on WhatsApp, I just wish they fix few problems:
- Static sound from speaker (on 8.1) eats battery like a monster
-taking picture in portrait mode within app
-And crashing when you try to check older conversation (after about 4 pages)

But i don't have notification problems anymore. It's always on time

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
OK. Here's why I totally agree with OP. My wife loved how my 925 looks and she hates Google's privacy policies, so she decided to get a 925. She HATES WhatsApp and tells me that she would like to go back to Android if WhatsApp isn't updated in the next couple of months.

I see her point. We heavily rely on WhatsApp for communicating with our family and friends back home and coming from Android, the WP version SUCKS. I put up with it because I'm a bigger fan of MS to leave WP because of it. Others don't necessarily want to keep up with it especially if that's a major reason why they have a smart phone.

Here's what's wrong with it:
    • Unreliable messages delivery
    • When typing, the keyboard covers 80% of the screen and one can only read 2 messages (partly because MS' keyboard is oversized, and partly because WhatsApp has a bottom row to always visible to attach a file and access settings.
    • Ugly interface
    • NO differentiation of contacts by color. Meaning in a group chat, every contact doesn't get their own color to quickly differentiate them. You would have to read the name on each message
    • If you share a photo from chat -> to camera the photo taken doesn't keep the original ratios (very annoying)
    • Lack of miscellaneous functionality that honestly won't bother me if they're not added, but there are a few and I'm sure others listed many of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077