UK users, what do you think of your Windows phones?

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I am a user of the recently released Nokia Lumia 630 and I love it! It is different compared to the crappy iOS and Android looks, but it still is quite limited in terms of official apps (but what the heck? We have Rudy Huyn!)

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I started off with the Lumia 800, and now have a 920. So I've seen how much it has changed. With the new 8.1 update soon to come, I can't wait! I love using it. And the numbers of WP in the wild as they say that I have seen on buses, national rail, and underground has increased. I really enjoy using my Lumia 920, but there is one thing that I wish was changed. SD card option on the 9xx series. It's present on the 5xx, and the 1520 etc, but not on the 9xx series. I really would like to get the 930, as it is a perfect size for my liking, and has great specs but the lack of the SD card really makes me unhappy.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Regarding apps, there isn't the abundance of free apps that have the same quality or functionality available on IOS and android, but the major ones are there. And they work well.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Love my 1020. I came from Symbian with a brief spell using an Iphone3.
Surprised by how much I love it, as I didn't really like Nokia's choice of going with Windows.
I have all the apps I need, though I would like an official Pinterest and a top notch photo editing app.
Not at all impressed with Here mapping in the UK, but I've moaned enough about it on this forum.
I only know 2 other windows phone users, everyone else is Android via Samsung or Apple.
The lack of an SD card really, really pees me off though, but obviously that's Nokia's fault, not Microsoft.

Davulsukur

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I had an iphone which died on me. I went to get a new phone and I have no idea how or why but I came out with a HTC HD7. I enjoyed the new operating system and then got a Nokia lumia 925 and windows 8 and now I am running 8.1. I like windows phones alot to be honest.

I know 2 people who have ventured into the windows phone market but both have packed it in and moved back to android or apple. The sad thing is,neither really gave it a chance and both gave "I dunno really" as a reason to go back to android/apple.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
What do you think of them?

Happy to answer the question but just curious to know why you're asking about the UK specifically and why they should think any different to any other WP users out there?

I've been on board since the original concept of WP7 was revealed back in February 2010. I've currently got an HTX 8X and it's been a love-hate relationship. I love WP and everything about the OS. I love the look and feel of my HTX 8X and the slim and sleek design is a winner. It has a few quirks and the camera's not a par with Nokia's offerings, battery performance is average but since I charge my phone every night, it's never an issue.

I do not have anything good to say about HTC's support of WP thus far. They've poured all their resources into Android. They launch great WP products at the outset and then ditch them from the day of your purchase. They've added zero value to their WP handsets and that has hurt over time. I will never get another HTC again - my next phone is likely to be a Lumia 930 or 1520 if I can get one on my network - Nokia care about your purchase and continue to add excellent value.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Happy to answer the question but just curious to know why you're asking about the UK specifically and why they should think any different to any other WP users out there?

I've been on board since the original concept of WP7 was revealed back in February 2010. I've currently got an HTX 8X and it's been a love-hate relationship. I love WP and everything about the OS. I love the look and feel of my HTX 8X and the slim and sleek design is a winner. It has a few quirks and the camera's not a par with Nokia's offerings, battery performance is average but since I charge my phone every night, it's never an issue.

I do not have anything good to say about HTC's support of WP thus far. They've poured all their resources into Android. They launch great WP products at the outset and then ditch them from the day of your purchase. They've added zero value to their WP handsets and that has hurt over time. I will never get another HTC again - my next phone is likely to be a Lumia 930 or 1520 if I can get one on my network - Nokia care about your purchase and continue to add excellent value.

I've already made a thread for every user, it's somewhere in my history and some WP has almost 10% in the UK and I live there too, I was just curious :p

MrA2Z

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm one of the early adopters of WP. My first one was Omnia 7. Then I got 920 and loving it. Most of the apps for my use are available. Next upgrade of my contract will be WP as well.

Wish we could have proper high end phones from other manufacturers as well.

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I really enjoy my Lumia 520. Previously a long term iPhone user and I was nervous about making the jump but did so for cost reasons, and I'm glad I did. Even my budget Lumia doesn't crash, the OS is nice and stable, app choice is fine for me, I don't play a lot of games but enjoy the Nokia and Bing apps.
I've said earlier today, my contract is nearly up and I'll be looking to upgrade to a higher spec Lumia, maybe the 920 and then try and be patient until 8.1 is available! :eek:rly:

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Well I've got on great with Windows Phone on the whole. Started with a Lumia 800 and then went to the 920 which I'm currently using now. The only thing that annoys me from time to time is the app situation. Even in the UK where apparently WP is at 10% (you would never guess that looking at what people own, mostly Samsung and Apple from what I see), many UK companies still choose to only develop Android and iOS apps. Hopefully this improves as time goes on.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Well I've got on great with Windows Phone on the whole. Started with a Lumia 800 and then went to the 920 which I'm currently using now. The only thing that annoys me from time to time is the app situation. Even in the UK where apparently WP is at 10% (you would never guess that looking at what people own, mostly Samsung and Apple from what I see), many UK companies still choose to only develop Android and iOS apps. Hopefully this improves as time goes on.

Made the same jump (800 to 920). I'm generally satisfied with my experience of WP, but I agree, I want to see the time when WP is mentioned in the same breath when apps are released for the other platforms.

Davulsukur

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
A lad I play football with whipped out his phone last night, saw it was a Nokia lumia. Asked him what model and he said "Its a 520, its ****" I am the only person I know with a windows phone who actually likes it. No idea why no one else seems to.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
A lad I play football with whipped out his phone last night, saw it was a Nokia lumia. Asked him what model and he said "Its a 520, its ****" I am the only person I know with a windows phone who actually likes it. No idea why no one else seems to.

WP should definitely be more popular than it is, but there are many reasons why it is not. One reason, and I've said it a few times, is that branding plays a huge part. With the youngsters nowadays (I'm only mid twenties, but I'm referring to teenagers in particular), if it's not a device from Apple or maybe a Google based product like Android, they simply don't want to know. The 'Microsoft' and 'Windows' brand is just not that 'cool' with most kids today. Like I said there are plenty of other reasons, some of which are valid, like the lack of apps compared to the other two ecosystems. But these are gradually reducing, so hopefully WP will continue to rise up the charts, but it will continue to be third for a very long time.

What was it that your mate didn't like with his phone. The features/spec of the 520 or WP in general?

Davulsukur

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
He, like 2 others I know who have had windows phones, have never given a real reason for disliking it. They just mutter "I dunno" when I ask and then say "time to get an iphone I think"
Are there really that many reasons to dislike windows phones now? Since 8.1, I don't even think its behind the other systems. Admittedly WP7 and WP8 were behind but it was a work in progress.

I suspect my mates leave WP quickly because they don't look into it enough, one was completely unaware of the forthcoming 8.1 update and the features it brought. I'm guessing they open the box, turn on the phone and barely scratch the surface of the operating system as a whole.

Disappointing.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I must say I have come across pretty much the same as you, in that quite a few people either have never tried WP (but still say its garbage) or that they just don't seem to want to give it a good enough go. I know of a couple of people who used it for less than a week (in one case two days) and then swapped it for something else. I'm certainly glad I gave it a fair go a couple of years ago. I had two Android phones before my Lumia 800 and after a few weeks of using nothing but WP, I really did not want to go back to Android and have never done since.

I did say there were many reasons why WP isn't as popular as the other two, but I think I used a bit too strong wording there. Like you, I believe WP 8.1 is an excellent mobile OS and competes well with the other two and in some areas out does them. I still think no matter what features WP has, some people will always see iPhones as being 'better' and 'cooler'. Unfortunately that's the way it is today. Some people don't go for WP because they would miss a certain app or two that they have on another OS or they are well and truly in the Google ecosystem where WP (no fault of its own) does not do well.

Disappointing is a good word really, as this OS does actually deserve better in terms of market share numbers than what it currently has. Still, it's positive that the OS is getting better all of the time with quicker update cycles. If only people other than on the likes of this forum knew about it.

Davulsukur

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I think for WP to be a more of a success it needed WP7 to basically be 8.1. Its been playing catch up and only now has it caught up but most have already made up their minds regarding WP and probably won't return to have another look, which is a shame. Microsoft will need a really aggressive marketing campaign.

Oh and as an aside, I am really looking forward to Cortana being released in the UK next week. It will just further my opinion that WP is a great OS.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
1520 user here, love it, love the connectivity to my other devices 8.1 desktop and laptop, Surface Pro and Xbox One, also the connectivity to my wife's stuff, this stuff just works and works well. How many phones do you know that have 1TB of cloud storage, access to your Office and entertainment system and it all works seamlessly, just a shame Xbox Music and the Xbox Ones inability to cope with local music.

Said it in other forums, MS are so close to getting this very right.

For my work I am often in places like Shoreditch and the Old St area, all of a sudden Windows Phones are being seen outside the bars and clubs.

Don't be surprised if the rest of the UK and the world all of a sudden catch on the WP very soon, it's almost becoming as cool to own a WP as it is to shave off last years beards.

Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven