Why would anyone buy a non-Nokia Windows Phone?

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Having started my Windows Phone journey with an HTC 8X, I have also picked up Lumia 520s and a 925. When I got the first Lumia, I was stunned to see all the add-ons Nokia provides for (most of) their products (Glance, Music, other apps, etc).

I have really enjoyed my HTC 8X, but as I get ready to buy a Lumia Icon, I find myself wondering what would be the advantages to buying anything other than a Nokia/MS device now? Is there something obvious I am missing?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest staying away from the Icon if you use the Glance feature since it does not have the hardware to support it as of today. Apart from that, it's a nice phone. If I were you on Verizon I would wait till the awaited HTC M8 successor launches or atleast some solid leaks start to come out. The icon has superior build quality as compared to the Ativ SE, it's true WP competitor

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the lack of Glance on the Icon is a bummer. I'm more disappointed it doesn't have an SD card.

I'm not really needing input on the Icon, per se, I'm more curious as to what people are interested in that would make them get a non-Lumia phone. It just seems like there are so many value-added features to the Nokia products.

(Sorry put 925 instead of Icon)

Last edited:

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
It could just be brand loyalty. Or in Verizon's case, some people might not like the very simplistic look of the Nokia phones. I happen to like that they don't make them flashy.

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Because not everyone likes the look of Nokia devices. I should know as I own an ATIV S
You bring up a good point that I forget (and that is why I would make a horrible Apple engineer)--sometimes looks are more important to people than function/features. Which makes me wonder--why don't the manufacturers make multiple phones with the same innards, but different external looks? Some people like round vs square corners, thick vs. thin body, silver vs matte vs glossy, etc. Of course there would need to be slight differences to the PCB and maybe plug locations, etc, but you could really create some buzz by introducing a decent phone with different body types.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
On wp7 days, I chose an HTC because they had the equalizer app, also I really liked the build quality of the phone but HTC kinda screwed it up with the 8X. Now it just boils down to the apps provided, in this case there's no doubt about Nokia

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
For me, the camera, build quality, and exclusive apps/software are what make Nokia devices stand out. I'm sure there are good reasons to go with another brand, but if I go Windows Phone, I'm going Nokia.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I forgot the ATIV S and SE have a removable battery. I don't think many Lumias have removable batteries; I think the 820 does.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Well one, HTC 8X looks better than the 920.

Second, the ATIV S has an SD card slot.

​But I still went with a 920 :p Mainly because the Audio Quality of the ATIV is CRAP while 16GB does not cut it for me, sorry HTC.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
There is something annoying that a manufacturer of Windows Phones will now have to license Beats Audio from Apple. At least that is my understanding.

It's also interesting that PC manufacturers like HP will also continue to license Beats from Apple.

Also, with the Beats acquisition, Apple now develops apps for Android and Windows Phone!

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's also interesting that PC manufacturers like HP will also continue to license Beats from Apple.

Also, with the Beats acquisition, Apple now develops apps for Android and Windows Phone!

Haha true! MS has been doing this for a long time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss