Charging on Car's USB port

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
If I plug my phone into my car's USB port it won't charge. The car (Infiniti) looks at it for a minute and then decides it doesn't know what it is and nothing happens. I have used it in various rental cars on my travels, and some work and some don't. I remember it worked in a Ford Fusion, but not in a Honda Accord. Is there some kind of electronic compatiibilty issue? Oh, I have an AT&T 1520.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Some are not compatible with phones, these USB ports are meant to read ipods, mp3 players, USB flash drives. But if you want to charge your phone with a non compatible car USB port. You have to modify the USB cable by removing the data pins or one of them, they are in the middle. Pins 2 &3. Or you can get a charging USB cable only.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok thanks, good to know I just need to get a charging cable, or rip out some pins. My old iPhone worked ok though, must be different pinouts or something.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
My Hyundai Elantra does this too. Once the car realizes that my 920 is not compatible then it just shuts all power from the port. It's like I don't even care if it reads the content. I just want to charge!

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
My Hyundai Elantra does this too. Once the car realizes that my 920 is not compatible then it just shuts all power from the port. It's like I don't even care if it reads the content. I just want to charge!
I have have a Hyundai tucson and when I connect my 920 I get "read error" message. Until I removed one of the data pins, my phone charges normally.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Pinout for a USB port , ground , data +, data -, and power 5volts. removing the data pins I don't think is going work, charging only uses the ground and 5v pins, and has enough AMPS for the device.
my phone requires 5v- 2A to charge , if the car port only outputs 5v-1.5A phone will not charge.
you can look in you cars owners manual for the USB spec.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Pinout for a USB port , ground , data +, data -, and power 5volts. removing the data pins I don't think is going work, charging only uses the ground and 5v pins, and has enough AMPS for the device.
my phone requires 5v- 2A to charge , if the car port only outputs 5v-1.5A phone will not charge.
you can look in you cars owners manual for the USB spec.

That's wrong. Even if the current is less the phone will charge. A simple case is charging from a PC USB 2.0 port that supplies 500ma. All USB applications should follow standards, not to mention chargers. The problem here is as WPmunkey mentioned.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Of course the workaround is to use an AUX/USB converter plug. I use one with a twin USB socket with 2A output on each.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon