wireless battery drain?

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
A strange one

Last night, my battery was at about 25%. I put it on my wireless charger (Chinese, off eBay). The charger started flashing to shown it was connected, my 920 chimed to indicate it was connected.

This morning, the phone was off and would not boot. I had to plug it in, via the USB, to get it to boot. The battery was dead!

Seems like the charger went into reverse. Don't know, but I won't be using this charger any more.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, your phone could've just had a bad night.

But anyways, I'd say the charger (probably an el cheapo one) doesn't put out enough power to charge the device. Something more solid or even brand name like LG would probably be the best option. If you're based in the US, perhaps you could try scoring one of their $5 Qi chargers or hope some scalper is charging a cheaper price online.

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
The conclusion that the charger is to blame seems a little to fast for me and here is why:
I have Lumia 925 and have been using it with Nokia wireless charging cover and Nokia wireless charging stand, on that seemingly perfect setup there were random disconnections or even no charge at all! The stand would recognize that the unit is on it but the phone simply would not charge whatsoever, sometimes that caused exactly the same as OP pointed: finding discharged unit instead of charged in the morning despite initially confirmed charging
I thought the connection between the cover and the phone was not perfect but cheap Chinese charger(flat and not stand) would than charge the phone with no hassle when lying on it instead in standing position
Lately the charging(when working) was very slow, for hours long-and my thoughts were that WP8.1 DP is to blame without matching firmware(cyan) but then I decided to give a try to hardware mod and managed to embed properly the charging coil into the back cover of the phone itself and suddenly all connection problems disappeared
Now the charging stand(Nokia`s) works as supposed, the charging itself starts immediately(previously within seconds) and the phone recharges from 20% to 100% in about 90-120 minutes
So, now I have aka NL 920 and my conclusion is that the problem was in the phone itself, I don't know if there are similarities in NL 920 but on my NL925 most probably the internal contacts were somehow causing the "fault charging" issue
Hope this helps

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I had noticed, on occasion, that my cheap charger would keep reconnecting to the 920 (I would hear the phone chime every so often). Positioning the phone also seemed critical.

Losing around 25% charge, overnight, seems odd, but I know the 920 has, occasional, random drains.

I broke down and ordered a DT-900. Will see if it is better. I might try the cheap one, again, if I need a second charger.

Thanks.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a 920 which I wireless charger with both the Nokia charge or a cheap Chinese EBay one, depending on where I am. There are couple of issues to be aware of:
1) What I've found is the cheapo EBay wireless pads require a transformer with output of at least 1.0A. Interestingly, my 920 wireless charges on my Nokia DT-900 charger with a 0.750A transformer.
2) The rated output of the transformer may be wrong, or the transformer is defective. I used a transformer with a 2A rating connected to the cheapo charger and the blue "has power" light was on, but it could not charge the 920 (the 920 kept chiming that it was starting to charge and the green "charging" light on the pad kept going on and off). I had to find another transformer with at least 1A that would keep the 920 in charge mode
3) I thought it was weird that my 920 could wireless charge on my Nokia DT-900 charger with a 0.750A transformer but my wife's Note 2 with a Ebay Qi wireless receiver added would not charge on that DT-900. With the right transformer on the Ebay pad, now both my 920 and Note 2 can be charged on that pad (not simultaneously).
4) I now have 2 Ebay charging pads and both work all the time with no issues. Yes, you do have to be a little more precise where you put the 920 on the pad when compared to the DT-900, but all you have to do is align the top edge of the 920 with the top edge of the pad.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Got the DT-900 a couple of days ago. So far, it is way better than the cheapo. No issues lining up the phone on it and it is much faster to connect and charge.

I'll keep the cheapo as an extra, just in case.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure a flashing light means it is charging? My bedside wireless charger flashes when it detects the phone but also that it is not precisely enough positioned to charge. It shows a steady light to confirm it is actually charging which then goes off when it is fully charged.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure a flashing light means it is charging? My bedside wireless charger flashes when it detects the phone but also that it is not precisely enough positioned to charge. It shows a steady light to confirm it is actually charging which then goes off when it is fully charged.

Yes, on my cheapo, a steady light indicates that it is on but not connected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3