Growing bored (and increasingly frustrated) with WP8?

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Beginning to feel a bit like Microsoft is too slow to react to the market demands and that the honeymoon for this device may be over for me. Granted I am new to WP, only purchased my Lumia 1520 in December, but it feels like I have been waiting for the (official) 8.1 update FOREVER! (is it actually going to be released?!) I am starting to get the impression that many of the small things that bother me with this phone, well, the OS really, will be surpassed with the next iPhone, especially if it is larger than the current one.

I do like having a WP device and appreciate that they need all the support they can get. The WP community certainly seems more authentic and genuine than anything else out there. I enjoy this forum in particular and think that without it WP would be in much worse shape. They should actually be supporting you guys here more than then know! All questions seemed to get answered here as opposed to the official site.

Anyway, I suppose this is just a frustrated rant for having to wait for what seems like a very long time to get an update (8.1) that addresses some basic functionality.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Why wait. Just install the Preview foe. Developers 8.1. It's not a beta, its unofficially official....its simple to do. Search the forum and you'll find numerous instructions and tips.

It's worth the 20-30 minutes. It'll give you many new features (which I'm sure your aware of).

For what its worth, I find MS (and Nokia) to be very supportive. Of course some apps need improving, aka Xbox music, but they get regular updates.

Anyway, Han in there. The 1520 is great and the alternatives are not as good as they may sound.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your kind words about WPCentral.

I see you are using a 1520, and I can understand why you might want to wait for the official release of 8.1. Some of the bugs people mentioned with the 8.1 Preview seem to affect the 1520 more than other devices. I haven't had bugs with the preview, but I have a 920.

Hopefully you'll get an official 8.1 update soon. I think you'll like it a lot better than 8. I know I like the 8.1 Preview better than 8 on my 920.

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Android is worse at updating. Every Android phone that I had got 1 update if I was lucky and some got none. I basically had to buy another phone to get the next version of Android.

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I've owned a few different smartphones,BlackBerry,Motorola Droid,iPhone 3gs,Concord,Prism II,and now a Nokia Lumia 521. Of those I can say I enjoyed the first three of that list. For the first month. The Concord and Prism II sucked from beginning. But the Lumia 521 it works great, no problems at all. Only complaint is no flash,no front camera,and wish it had more ram. But even with 512 Mb ram,same as the Prism II I'll add it doesn't matter like the way ram mattered on that android phone. Il be saving for my next Lumia for sure!

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I can understand why it's taking a long time to release 8.1 given the potential problems a bad rollout might create. It's a pretty significant upgrade and a lot could go wrong, so I don't mind if they take their time testing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05