Creating an Outlook email address.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
When I created a Microsoft account after buying my 1020, I used my old Nokia ovi.com email address (Yahoo based). I'd now like to have an Outlook.com address as my Yahoo email is being a pain, I can't see any way of creating one now I already have a MS account, whereas when I created my daughters account she was automatically given the option. :confused:

Can anyone help? Thanks.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Can you not add an outlook.com email address as an alias? Then once that is set up, switch it to your primary?

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeewiz - Yes, I can do that, but how do I get the address in the first place? I get the feeling I'm missing something really obvious.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Argh...minor rant. Took advice from a Microsoft.com forum moderator to create a new account then add address as an alias.
I followed their links, created the new account, but when I go into my my existing account and try to add it, it says that email address has already been taken. Yes, it has ...by me! And the forum member has locked the bloody thread, so I can't even reply. So now I have 2 Microsoft accounts and an email address that I can't add to my account.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
yep, classic mistake, I feel for you. I did the same. I'm guessing you now know how to add the alias? That is, log into outlook.com using your original MS account. Click the gears in the upper right, then Options, then Your email accounts. Then you can add the alias there. Time to invent your new alias now that the one you wanted was used by mistake. Good luck!

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I know now.
Just disappointed because I actually managed to get my name on the address with no dots or numbers etc. and now I can't use it. Well, I could use it but it would mean running two accounts.😞

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Close the error account, then wait a month. Then your perfect email address will be released and you can add it as an alias to your old account. One month.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
There are longer waits for some security issues I seem to remember, but unless it has changed it is only one month to release email addresses. I have done it.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Official reply from Microsoft support says 60 days. Guess I'm just going to have to wait and see...will try after 30 :)

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Damn. They must have changed it. Well, mark it in your calendar as once the address becomes available anyone can snag it.

Also, once you've closed the account you can still log in, reviving the account again. Needless to say, I wouldn't do this if I were you or it might reset the clock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea