From iphone to win phone

ataraxicstorm

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
My wife currently uses an iPhone 4, the contract is up for renewal and she's upgrading Friday. I'm trying to convince her to switch to Lumia. I own a 520 with 8.1 which is great but she's able to go higher spec - which would be the best of the Lumia range to recommend?

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
My wife currently uses an iPhone 4, the contract is up for renewal and she's upgrading Friday. I'm trying to convince her to switch to Lumia. I own a 520 with 8.1 which is great but she's able to go higher spec - which would be the best of the Lumia range to recommend?

You don't mention which carrier you have... each of them have some exclusives.

Rather than just recommending a particular Lumia, I'd recommend going to the windowsphone.com website and comparing. A lot depends on how she uses her phone and what is important to her. i.e., if she wants to be able to shoot better quality video, the Icon (Verizon) is all about that. If better still pics and zoom are her thing, then the 1020 (ATT) would be her phone.

Additionally, you've got to look at her must-have apps. Some do not have WP versions or comparable counterparts. Other things aren't fully supported (i.e., if she connects her iP to the car, check the automaker's website for compatibility). Fitness wearables -- also a lack of support for WP, (although Wellograph offers a beautiful fully-compatible wearable, it's spendy) and MisFits is saying they have a WP app planned. Thus far, not much from FitBit.

We'd love to see your wife come over to the tile side, but it won't be a good experience for her if there are tools she uses now that she won't be able to use a week from now...

One last note: She might want to hang on to her iP for 3-4 months. There are new phones in the pipeline that have not yet made their appearance in the carrier inventory lists. And we are awaiting updates to Windows 8.1 (pending carrier approval/release).

godse573

May 9, 2014
Visit site
She might want to hang on to her iP for 3-4 months. There are new phones in the pipeline that have not yet made their appearance in the carrier inventory lists. And we are awaiting updates to Windows 8.1

What will make the transfer much easier will be the 8.1 update. The drop down menu like ios7 has will make it seem familiar to her. Unfortunately no one knows when we will get this update. In the meantime, most apps that people use on a daily basis can be found on the market place. I think something like the icon is perfect for an iPhone user to get into. Small things like a vivid HD display and metal frame make the experience so much better, not to knock on other windows phones.

Good luck!

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
most apps that people use on a daily basis can be found on the market place.

I was thinking of something like a business app such as Salesforce or other CRM software. It's easy to assume that tools you use every day will be available every where. Such is not the case. Another case is banking apps. I would switch banks in a heartbeat if my bank didn't have a WP app, but not all users would be so inclined. Restaurants in our area offer phone apps so you can order ahead and it will be ready when you get there. It's a minor inconvenience to me that none of them have WP apps, but then, I'm seldom on a tight schedule. Apps that perform a function are easy to come by. Apps that connect you with a particular place or service are a little bit tougher to match.

godse573

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Another case is banking apps. I would switch banks in a heartbeat if my bank didn't have a WP app, but not all users would be so inclined. Restaurants in our area offer phone apps so you can order ahead and it will be ready when you get there.

I do completely understand the banking issue. I just use my PC to get that done, but for people that don't have one, it would be nice to have a banking app. Restaurant apps aren't as necessary, and more of a convenience if anything. If I wanted to go to a restaurant, I always check their website for a phone number, force of habit. Yeah, sure, an app would make things easier, not by a landslide, but not having a Red Robin app wont deter me from getting a windows phone.

Moral of the story is, Windows phone is an easily adaptive environment. Android takes a load of getting used to. For an apple user to switch to a windows phone will be an easy transfer. Again, don't let small things get in the way of the big picture. Although it is the truth, I do still agree with you Nerdy Woman.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
don't let small things get in the way of the big picture. Although it is the truth, I do still agree with you Nerdy Woman.

You agree with me. We should be friends. ;-)

I just reread the OP and he said he's "trying to convince her..." That right there says it all. I'd rather hear that Mrs. OP whines for 2 years about wanting a phone like his than her whining for 2 years because he talked her into a phone that doesn't do everything she wants it to do.

Ideally, he can get her set up with a WP that makes her want to show it all her friends and they develop a bad case of device envy...

ataraxicstorm

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
You don't mention which carrier you have... each of them have some exclusives.
).

She's on orange (Ee) in the UK. She's not overly tech savvy or reliant on tech apps for work. Her banking app is available. Would probably use it more for games and music then anything else so while we may be short on some latest trend farm games ( not a loss in my opinion 😉
) we still have plenty of alternatives when you look properly. In fact I've found some in our store that she's then gone hunting through hers for!

It's either this or an iphone 5c which is basically the same monthly price as higher spec win phones with half as much storage capacity and more of the same (bias: Dull, drab ) software wise that she's been using the last x years.

Upgrade wise she's a bit limited in options available, she's leaning towards the 1020 at moment for features but not overly keen on the aesthetics of that one.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
She's on orange (Ee) in the UK. She's not overly tech savvy or reliant on tech apps for work. Her banking app is available. Would probably use it more for games and music then anything else so while we may be short on some latest trend farm games ( not a loss in my opinion ��
) we still have plenty of alternatives when you look properly. In fact I've found some in our store that she's then gone hunting through hers for!

It's either this or an iphone 5c which is basically the same monthly price as higher spec win phones with half as much storage capacity and more of the same (bias: Dull, drab ) software wise that she's been using the last x years.

Upgrade wise she's a bit limited in options available, she's leaning towards the 1020 at moment for features but not overly keen on the aesthetics of that one.

Truly, she might want to hold off just a few months. Apple announces their new offerings in late September and although Microsoft has been fairly silent, I cannot imagine they won't have something for us this holiday season. Most of the higher-end devices out there are a bit long in the tooth (although I just bought another 920 - I love that phone).

One thing that might be important to her... security. You might find this article interesting.

Undocumented iOS functions allow monitoring of personal data, expert says | Ars Technica

I'd love to see a similar analysis of Android and Windows devices to see how they compare, but this is quite damning.

Neilansh

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend 1520 and 930. If your wife likes big screen then 1520 or the new 930 which has new hardware and software support as it was launched with windows 8.1. Newer mobile will have more software(windows) support. Or any other phone which has 1gb ram or more for more game support or any app support.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You agree with me. We should be friends. ;-)

I just reread the OP and he said he's "trying to convince her..." That right there says it all. I'd rather hear that Mrs. OP whines for 2 years about wanting a phone like his than her whining for 2 years because he talked her into a phone that doesn't do everything she wants it to do.

Ideally, he can get her set up with a WP that makes her want to show it all her friends and they develop a bad case of device envy...
Little Lady you hit the proverbial nail on the head with this. I am going through this right now.

Op... Listen to her, never never try to convince the wife to get what you want her to have, it isn't worth it in the end.

Let her choose for herself.

ataraxicstorm

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
For an update she went for the 930 in the end :) the coloured back and non Bulky but still decent camera sold it lol. Expecting it to arrive in the next hour or so though though admittedly I'm more excited than her lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12