Can Playlists Be Stored On The Phone, Not In The Cloud?

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I searched for this topic but, amazingly, didn't find a thread about it. I assume I must have missed one since I can't be the only person wanting for this: is there a way to store a playlist directly on my phone rather than having to connect to Xbox Music for the playlist to be activated? Every time I turn off the option to "connect to XBM" my playlists screen tells me "it's lonely in here". What BS.

I'm quite tired of, and frustrated by, having to have XBM meddle with my music collection. Just let me store a ton of music on my phone and organize it into playlists on the phone -- I don't need or care about having all my music or playlists available and synced on every device I own.

Maybe 8.1 has a local playlist option (I'm still on 8.0 until VZW releases it generally), but so far I haven't heard great things about how 8.1 handles music. So if there's a way to create and manage playlists locally, directly on the phone, and I've somehow missed it I'd be very happy to hear from anyone with info on how to do it. Thanks ahead for any help.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
You can create/store playlists on the phone and they're probably there, but the files are in a hidden folder that is not visible using the files app. You can also copy playlists from Windows Media Player on your computer.

Connect to your computer via USB, but instead of using the WP app, open the phone as if it were a flash drive in file explorer. Make sure you can see hidden folders. The Playlist folder is a subfolder of the Music folder. The playlist file types are .wpl, but you cannot see the extension here. You can copy the playlists to your Music/Playlist folder on your computer and see/edit it in Windows Media Player (which also has a much more flexible syncing utility than the WP app).

Media Player's default playlist extension is .pla, but these can be copied to your phone and they'll work with XBM also.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow, thanks NerdyWoman. I'll give it a shot. It's nice to know that there's at least a way to do it even though it's a bit of a workaround that the everyday WP user wouldn't probably ever attempt. Will still hope that MS introduces a simple way to create and manage playlists right on the phone (i.e. without having to work with hidden folders and filename extensions). Thx again.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow, thanks NerdyWoman. I'll give it a shot. It's nice to know that there's at least a way to do it even though it's a bit of a workaround that the everyday WP user wouldn't probably ever attempt. Will still hope that MS introduces a simple way to create and manage playlists right on the phone (i.e. without having to work with hidden folders and filename extensions). Thx again.

You can create/manage playlists on the phone, but it's sooo much easier working on the big screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans