Windows 8 (PC) USB Support

DraGoNeTi

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys and greetings from Greece. I have an issue on my phone which is unlocked with developers preview. I want to revert it back to WP8 so I searched on the net and found a guide on how to do it... Before I had Windows 7 and the USB Driver worked like a charm but now that I updated to Windows 8.1 it doesn't work. It fails to install. Is there something I can do to get past this error message I get during the driver installation or is there a driver with support on windows 8.1 ?
Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
connect it into a different port, if that doesn't work
uninstall the device, unplug it....restart your computer, and plug it in again

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No problem here with windows 8.1 at all. So, you should either try above which typically help driver installation or find another PC to try.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
After you connect and the device driver fails go to device manger and uninstall the device first (it'll show with a yellow sign). Then try reinstalling the driver again. If it still doesn't work post a screenshot of the error you're getting

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
The phone drivers (the ones that let you sync WMP and show up in File Explorer) are built in ones. If it's having issues connecting I would try a different cable in case there is something with the one you are using.

For recovery though, specific drivers get installed along with the recovery tool and are completely separate to the ones above. I've read it has issues with USB3 so that could be something to look into as well, if it applies to your system (eg dont' use the blue USB ports).

If you're trying to install those drivers by other means then it will most likely fail. It needs to be done as part of the programme's installation, by the programme.

There's an official guide on this site somewhere - a quick search would turn it up, but in a nutshell, download and install Nokia Retail Recovery Tool, run it, plug your phone in when asked, and it will tell you what it's going to do. Click install and leave it running.

DraGoNeTi

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The phone drivers (the ones that let you sync WMP and show up in File Explorer) are built in ones. If it's having issues connecting I would try a different cable in case there is something with the one you are using.

For recovery though, specific drivers get installed along with the recovery tool and are completely separate to the ones above. I've read it has issues with USB3 so that could be something to look into as well, if it applies to your system (eg dont' use the blue USB ports).

If you're trying to install those drivers by other means then it will most likely fail. It needs to be done as part of the programme's installation, by the programme.

There's an official guide on this site somewhere - a quick search would turn it up, but in a nutshell, download and install Nokia Retail Recovery Tool, run it, plug your phone in when asked, and it will tell you what it's going to do. Click install and leave it running.

nokia recovery tool? will it work with Samsung Ativ S ?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If you have a Samsung then you're stuck I'm afraid - I don't know if they have released an equivalent utility to Nokia's recovery tool. Unless you were intending on going down the route of reflashing your ROM to restore it. In which case, the correct drivers would be needed, and match your version of Windows (ie 32bit or 64bit). If they are incompatible with Windows 8 though, you may be a bit stuck.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Ohh my... And we all assumed (should not have) that you've a Nokia :-/

Either way, Nokia Software Recovery Tool doesn't work with the Samsung Ativ S. As mentioned above, you can flash to a Samsung WP 8 ROM to revert back

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
can you send me a link of your driver ?
There is no link to drivers. It is installed automatically.

As mentioned, you will have to find Samsung utility to flash WP8.0 ROMs. Nokia Recovery Tool can only flash ROMs for Nokia phones with Nokia ROMs.

Why do you want to roll back anyway? It is not like you will get Cyan update which is Nokia specific update. DP8.1 is way better than WP8.0 IMO.

DraGoNeTi

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I want to roll back to wp8 so I can install the authentic wp8.1 when it comes to my carrier... Is there a utility for Samsung WP ?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Search for the procedure on xda-developers, for example:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2391138

Make sure you flash the correct variant ROM for your device (CSC and whether it's i8750 or t899m) else you might end up messing up your phone/frequency bands permanently. Also post in the Ativ S forum so that folks are able to help you better. Good luck!
Sent from Tapatalk on my Nokia Lumia 925 running WP8.1

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I want to roll back to wp8 so I can install the authentic wp8.1 when it comes to my carrier... Is there a utility for Samsung WP ?

You should be able to upgrade to WP8.1 when it comes out. Currently, there is a problem with Nokia Cyan and DP8.1. That's the reason why you can't do DP8.1 to Cyan. MS will get it fixed soon. Since Cyan doesn't apply to your Samsung phone, we don't know if it is even blocked by MS. Or by the time 8.1 is out for Samsung devices, MS already fixed the DP issue and allow you to upgrade directly.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
You should be able to upgrade to WP8.1 when it comes out. Currently, there is a problem with Nokia Cyan and DP8.1. That's the reason why you can't do DP8.1 to Cyan. MS will get it fixed soon. Since Cyan doesn't apply to your Samsung phone, we don't know if it is even blocked by MS. Or by the time 8.1 is out for Samsung devices, MS already fixed the DP issue and allow you to upgrade directly.

All devices running the preview are, regardless of OEM or Bitlocker usage. When the issue's fixed (as you say), everyone on the preview will be able to update. But saying that, we've heard neither hide nor hair of a release schedule from HTC and Samsung regarding the update. I would have thought that since they have less devices in their respective lineups, there would be a much shorter period of testing.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
All devices running the preview are, regardless of OEM or Bitlocker usage.

We don't know that. In fact no one does because there isn't any 8.1 release for either Samsung or HTC phones announced.

That's why I'm wondering why OP is busy downgrade the phone to 8.0. Any downgrade, even with Nokia tools, wipes out the phone clean. OTA upgrade, OTOH, keeps all your data, app and settings.

Samsung and HTC are probably not very motivated to release any new updates to their WP phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon