Twitter / IE / Bing - Doesn't work as it should.

ThePaladinTech

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand this behavior at all. I do a search - the bing results have pages that lead me to twitter pages, when I hit those pages the pages ask if I want to install a twitter app... I have not only the official twitter app but several others (mehdoh, metweets, tweetium, even an old install of rowi) yet the page doesn't just load up the app. but here's the kicker (and it might be new since I am now on 8.1 update 1. If i click on the "install app" it takes me to the google play store!!!

Does anyone know if the behavior is on the road map to be fixed? Linked in acts a similar way (don't know if it takes me to google play, but it doesn't load up the linked in app...)

just curious.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
A gift from Microsoft, they changed the browser agent to look like an android phone so it doesn't know about the WP app and tries to install the droid one. Classic!
Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
It's high time Microsoft should start complying with Non standard web formats for their mobile IE at least for their customers sake. Would be better than this farce.
Honestly, being unique and different approach only looks good in books and films. In real life, it isn't gonna do wonders to your business if consumers are suffering.

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
24odf95.jpg

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It's high time Microsoft should start complying with Non standard web formats for their mobile IE at least for their customers sake. Would be better than this farce.
Honestly, being unique and different approach only looks good in books and films. In real life, it isn't gonna do wonders to your business if consumers are suffering.

When those "standards" present WP users with android apps something is wrong somewhere. More like hacks, not standards in reality.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
When those "standards" present WP users with android apps something is wrong somewhere. More like hacks, not standards in reality.
Well at least twitter and gmail aren't sucky anymore. And with the file picker added in 8.1 I don't even need apps that much anymore. Web pages ftw. Lol hacks? All they did was change the User Agent to include Android 4.0 and iOS 7.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

Hacks were used by Microsoft when they tried to mimic IE as chrome or safari. No chrome or safari ever got confused with each other.
And I'm not comparing which is better. Fact is mobile web developers are targeting those "standards" because of their market share and since IE can't dictate them, might as well join them. Or keep screwing up the user experience for windows phone users. Their choice.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hacks were used by Microsoft when they tried to mimic IE as chrome or safari. No chrome or safari ever got confused with each other.
And I'm not comparing which is better. Fact is mobile web developers are targeting those "standards" because of their market share and since IE can't dictate them, might as well join them. Or keep screwing up the user experience for windows phone users. Their choice.

We are a small amount of marketshare, what do you expect them to do?

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
We are a small amount of marketshare, what do you expect them to do?

I wouldn't expect anything else from developers. I expect the company the like of Microsoft to make mobile IE cater to larger number of mobile web and do it flawlessly. Not like the joke this current update brought. For their existing crop of customers and loyal fans.

throws2000

Sep 18, 2007
Visit site
I agree.. I don't want to use the Twitter app. I simply want to check my Twitter page using IE and can no longer do this since the update.

MattW19

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You'd think Microsoft would be doing this stuff via a compatibility list rather than just generally setting the browser detection as it is. Any website deliberately shutting Windows Phone out - like Google - will likely just figure out how to detect the newly masked IE anyway.

Mapping the vendor prefixes without doing the user agent stuff would suit me okay. The store ads are particularly bad if it highlights where a website has an app for only Android/iOS - so avoiding those is better from a user experience standpoint than a few sites not functioning perfectly.

Perhaps Microsoft need to build IE for Android, Mac and iOS so they have a vague hope of developers testing on it without needing a Windows Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos