Why is WP so poor with account syncing?

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
To this day I am still not able to sync my contacts through Google. I had to download Rudy's GContact app, which is ridiculous. We should be able to sync are accounts without having to download another app.
My Facebook account still displays names for people they have not used in months or years. Why? Is there a fix for these issues?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I assume you are still on WP 8. Syncing for both Google and Facebook are changed in WP 8.1 which should address these issues. Google uses a different protocol and Facebook uses the Facebook app to connect with the phone (Facebook syncing no longer works without the app installed).

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I can't say anything about synchronization of Google contacts, as I'm reluctant to use any of their services. But Facebook sync has never been an issue for me. Not on WP 7, nor 8 or 8.1. Why should WP bother with whether users on FB are active or not? Oo Should it automatically remove people that haven't posted in a year? I think the outcry would be massive if it really did that. It's up to you to unfriend people on FB that are no longer active. WP will remove them from your device as well then.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I can't say anything about synchronization of Google contacts, as I'm reluctant to use any of their services. But Facebook sync has never been an issue for me. Not on WP 7, nor 8 or 8.1. Why should WP bother with whether users on FB are active or not? Oo Should it automatically remove people that haven't posted in a year? I think the outcry would be massive if it really did that. It's up to you to unfriend people on FB that are no longer active. WP will remove them from your device as well then.

I think you misunderstood the OP. When someone changes their name on Facebook, if they changed their last name or use a nickname or whatever else, it does not get automatically updated on WP 8.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think you misunderstood the OP. When someone changes their name on Facebook, if they changed their last name or use a nickname or whatever else, it does not get automatically updated on WP 8.

woot? It sure does! My wife changed her Facebook name like 2 months or so ago, and it pretty much immediately showed up on my WP devices.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
woot? It sure does! My wife changed her Facebook name like 2 months or so ago, and it pretty much immediately showed up on my WP devices.

It didn't work in all cases. On WP 7 and WP 8, I used to notice some contacts of mine that still showed the old name although I think if I removed the Facebook account and added it again, it pulled up the new names. I would think this is resolved in 8.1 though because it pulls the names directly from the Facebook app.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Who said anything about people being active on Facebook?
I think you misunderstood my comment. The people have changed their names on Facebook and it wasn't reflected in my people hub

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think you misunderstood my comment. The people have changed their names on Facebook and it wasn't reflected in my people hub

You're right, I misunderstood what you were actually referring to. My FB contacts are perfectly syncing though. The only thing I could think of that could make a difference is that I have connected my Facebook and Microsoft accounts: accounts.live.com -> manage accounts. Maybe you haven't done that, which means your contacts are only synced through the Facebook app on your device. I have no idea if that's the real reason behind it, but it's at least a possibility.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Also, if those FB accounts are linked to other accounts on the phone, the FB name may be updated but the "overall" name may not be. Hit the link icon and see what the different accounts list as their names.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site

The name shown in the people hub is the name you've given that contact which syncs up to you Microsoft account and is then linked to a Facebook friend.
For example you could have Dave's phone number on your phone and accidentally link that to you mate Steve on Facebook. It would only show Dave as the name in your people hub as that is the name assigned to that 'group' of contact, but it would be Steves Facebook details linked to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos