Several issues that make Windows Phones unusable

chowder908

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I have used a windows phone for nearly 9 months now I gotta say these phones are really buggy.

I'm just gonna list some of my issues with these phones.

1. No verity of apps

2. Several crashes resulting in phone restarting.

3. App crashes

4. Gmail and other emails saying they are not up to date

5. Songs duplicate on SD card.

These are just some of my issues I have had with these phones. Also, when I first got my windows phone I had to buy a new router because my old one wouldn't let my phone connect to the wifi.

I lost a highschool senior year video memory because after it finished recording it wouldn't save and my phone just restarted.

Lastly, I wanted to build an app like I did with android, but it's impossible on Windows phone when you have to buy almost $200+ for phone, program, windows 8 64bit, pay to dev unlock your phone, and fee for uploading to the store, might explain why there isn't a verity of apps.

These phones wouldn't be all that bad if it was easier to build apps. I hope these phones do well in the future, but right now they are not for me.

I will gives theses phones some credit on how durable they are. Drop this phone several times on concrete no cracks or scratches.

Last edited by a moderator:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I tried developing apps for Windows Phone, Visual Studio is really nice but I would hate paying that much to get the full version.

The SD Card duplication of music is caused by certain apps, I don't think it's an issue of the OS.

Yes apps crashing was pretty annoying when I used to own a Windows Phone.

chowder908

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I tried developing apps for Windows Phone, Visual Studio is really nice but I would hate paying that much to get the full version.

The SD Card duplication of music is caused by certain apps, I don't think it's an issue of the OS.

Yes apps crashing was pretty annoying when I used to own a Windows Phone.

The problem isn't purchasing visual studio. The problem is having to buy all the extra stuff such as unlocking your phone & buying a copy of windows 8.1 if you're like me still running 7

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The problem isn't purchasing visual studio. The problem is having to buy all the extra stuff such as unlocking your phone & buying a copy of windows 8.1 if you're like me still running 7

You mean developer unlocking your phone? That's free and pretty easy IMO.

And Visual Studio works with Windows Vista and above, last I checked.

chowder908

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
You mean developer unlocking your phone? That's free and pretty easy IMO.

And Visual Studio works with Windows Vista and above, last I checked.

Yes visual studio dose but for people who wanna build apps on a Windows phone 8 require windows 8 64bit to get the SDK to install.

chowder908

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Haha okay, I can understand your predicament then.

Why haven't you picked up Windows 8 btw? Don't like it?

The OS cost around 140$ alone.then add that with the cost of buying visual studio and the fee of having it on the store. So if an app fails I'd have lost over $200+ usually why so many apps have ads and/or not free on WP but are on other phones because so expensive for building on Windows phone.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Erm.. if you don't mind me asking a few questions to clear my doubt.

1) Which apps do you want? What do you mean by "no variety"? Very less types?

2) I have never encounter a single crash b4 xP What were you doing when it crashed? What device are you using? I am using a Lumia 520 here.

5) Yeah... that happens =(. But I have never encountered that problem on Music. I have encountered that in pictures though. Both Lumia 520 and my previous C3-01.

6) Because we don't support mediocrity. Have you used MyTube?

chowder908

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site

2) I have never encounter a single crash b4 xP What were you doing when it crashed? What device are you using? I am using a Lumia 520 here.

5) Yeah... that happens =(. But I have never encountered that problem on Music. I have encountered that in pictures though. Both Lumia 520 and my previous C3-01.

Alot of apps are missing such as an official apps like twitch, steam aand couple others I can't remember off top of my head. I know there are a lot of unofficial apps but most of them have bad UIs and bad connections.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The OS cost around 140$ alone.then add that with the cost of buying visual studio and the fee of having it on the store. So if an app fails I'd have lost over $200+ usually why so many apps have ads and/or not free on WP but are on other phones because so expensive for building on Windows phone.

We'll it's wise to refrain from purchasing Windows 8 now, because many rumors suggest that upgrading from Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 9 will be free, let's hope this is true.

I too had a 520 and I'll answer some of these questions.

No official 9GAG, imgur apps, no Windows Phone 8 Kik app, no Sygic navigation, no(or barely any) Google services, no Flipboard or Feedly, no YouTube, no Camera Awesome(great app), no CPU Z, no Google+, no uTorrent, should I go on?

My device has crashed several times mostly when viewing media, such as playing a gif in 9GAG, or when loading a big image in the imgura app, Atmosphere weather also crashed.

Plus crashing of apps isn't nearly as annoying as what happens to Windows Phone when it crashes. If an app on Windows Phone crashes, that's the least of your problems because the whole OS also crashes with it for a few seconds.

Because you don't support mediocrity? What do you mean by that? The official YouTube app is miles ahead of myTube.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
All those concerns raised by OP are not ubiquitous and I do not agree.
[1] Variety of apps - Its upto the individual and his/her needs. Some may find it enough and some don't. App count is increasing day by day.
[2] Crashes that result Phone restart - Very Rare!!
[3] App Crashes - Few apps are getting crashed because either those are incompatible with new OS(8.1) or their codes are buggy. Not sure, how could you blame OS/WP here!
[4] Email related: If you are using third party apps, then again issue is with apps! In-built mail functionality works fine for me, be it gmail, outlook etc.
[5] Song Duplication on SD card: Backup the data and format your card. You may also try a soft reset that scans SD card upon startup. I hope you are using class-10 or above SD cards. This is an issue with SD card not with WP/OS.
[6] Youtube App: Try Metrotube/MyTube. They work so well and void the need of official app.

chowder908

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
All those concerns raised by OP are not ubiquitous and I do not agree.
[1] Variety of apps - Its upto the individual and his/her needs. Some may find it enough and some don't. App count is increasing day by day.
[2] Crashes that result Phone restart - Very Rare!!
[3] App Crashes - Few apps are getting crashed because either those are incompatible with new OS(8.1) or their codes are buggy. Not sure, how could you blame OS/WP here!
[4] Email related: If you are using third party apps, then again issue is with apps! In-built mail functionality works fine for me, be it gmail, outlook etc.
[5] Song Duplication on SD card: Backup the data and format your card. You may also try a soft reset that scans SD card upon startup. I hope you are using class-10 or above SD cards. This is an issue with SD card not with WP/OS.
[6] Youtube App: Try Metrotube/MyTube. They work so well and void the need of official app.

So I should pay for YouTube that is free on android and ios?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft did create a very awesome YouTube app, so impressive that Google immediately demanded that it be removed from the store. Blame no one but Google for the lack of an official app, then buy MetroTube.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Windows Phones for years and rarely does the OS crash. It is always the app that is the problem. The selection of quality apps is growing by the day and I have yet to find anything that I want or need that isn't available in the store.

As for the Google issues, I haven't touched anything Google for almost a year now and don't miss it at all.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
if its with the native video player(Xbox - Video), then we should expect such ****s since Xbox team has ****ed up Music and Video apps altogether! BTW, I have never faced such error messages while playing any video through native player.

chowder908

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
if its with the native video player(Xbox - Video), then we should expect such ****s since Xbox team has ****ed up Music and Video apps altogether! BTW, I have never faced such error messages while playing any video through native player.

Usually happens using the web browser. Sometimes a video will get a decoder error

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss