Several issues that make Windows Phones unusable

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have used a windows phone for nearly 9 months now I gotta say these phones are really buggy.

I'm just gonna list some of my issues with these phones.

1. No verity of apps

2. Several crashes resulting in phone restarting.

3. App crashes (most apps are coding issues from uploader)

4. Gmail and other emails saying they are not up to date

5. Songs duplicate on SD card.

6. NO OFFICIAL YOUTUBE APP!!! (seriously what phone doesn't have an official YouTube app? No the shortcut to the web browser app from the store doesn't count.)

These are just some of my issues I have had with these phones. Also, when I first got my windows phone I had to buy a new router because my old one wouldn't let my phone connect to the wifi.

I lost a highschool senior year video memory because after it finished recording it wouldn't save and my phone just restarted.

Lastly, I wanted to build an app like I did with android, but it's impossible on Windows phone when you have to buy almost $200+ for phone, program, windows 8 64bit, pay to dev unlock your phone, and fee for uploading to the store, might explain why there isn't a verity of apps.

These phones wouldn't be all that bad if it was easier to build apps. I hope these phones do well in the future, but right now they are not for me.

I will gives theses phones some credit on how durable they are. Drop this phone several times on concrete no cracks or scratches.

The apps in windows phones are increasing! There are no crashes in my 1320, even when 700kb memory was left in my phone memory, it didn't even lag, forget about crashing! Even my previous phone Lumia 710 did not crash, nor did it lag, never, even when it had 1mb free memory! App crashes are caused because of the app developers otherwise most of the apps are quite stable! Mails are also getting updated regularly! Songs or any other content do not get duplicated unless you could have possibly selected copy to sd card option or might be due to some apps! Microsoft rolled out free YouTube app for windows but google ordered it to withdraw immediately from the store! I really can't understand why are you having so many issues! You might have got a defective piece!

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Usually happens using the web browser. Sometimes a video will get a decoder error
If you intermittently see the decoder error, then it could be an issue with IE. You may try clearing browsing history and uncheck the box that allows sites to store temp files on your phone. You will get this option in Advanced Settings of IE. I hope, that helps!

chowder908

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
If you intermittently see the decoder error, then it could be an issue with IE. You may try clearing browsing history and uncheck the box that allows sites to store temp files on your phone. You will get this option in Advanced Settings of IE. I hope, that helps!

Back then use to happen a lot but with recent updates the decoder error hasn't been happen a lot but it still happens time to time.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I created a wallpaper app for Windows Phone with some unique features back in the WP7 days that became fairly popular and was very well rated, but I switched to Android and my app got pulled from the store because I didn't pay the yearly developer fee. Microsoft's loss really. Microsoft shouldn't be charging anything to put apps in their store if they are wanting to grow their ecosystem. Makes developers like me who created a free app and then switched to another platform have no reason to keep paying to keep the app in the store. If it was free, I would have kept updating the app and it would still be there today.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I created a wallpaper app for Windows Phone with some unique features back in the WP7 days that became fairly popular and was very well rated, but I switched to Android and my app got pulled from the store because I didn't pay the yearly developer fee. Microsoft's loss really. Microsoft shouldn't be charging anything to put apps in their store if they are wanting to grow their ecosystem. Makes developers like me who created a free app and then switched to another platform have no reason to keep paying to keep the app in the store. If it was free, I would have kept updating the app and it would still be there today.

Now I understand why app market is not growing.cheap ms tactics.Btw thank you for enlightening on this issue.:thumbup::confused::eek:

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

That's really bad! MS should take another look into it as we lost a developer :-(

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And what about the users of those apps? If there's some kind of problem that arises, they have absolutely no support because the developer has walked away from his/her work.

They won't know that the app isn't supported any more, they'll just be faced with an app that doesn't work. What are they going to tell their friends/colleagues? "I downloaded this app, but it doesn't work, I can't contact the developer, but I'm sure the developer has a good reason" or "I downloaded this app, it doesn't work and I can't contact the developer".

Microsoft is doing the right thing in removing apps that are no longer supported.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
As far as we are on the topic there are many people who build apps for windows & the number of app developers have increased compared to last year. There are 70% of app developers developing apps for Android, 51% for iOS & 28% for windows phone

chowder908

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
As far as we are on the topic there are many people who build apps for windows & the number of app developers have increased compared to last year. There are 70% of app developers developing apps for Android, 51% for iOS & 28% for windows phone

Alot of apps I need for school are not on the store and most apps added these days are just apps like wallpaper apps

chowder908

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
But out of that 1.3 million, there are so many apps that crashes. Windows has less, so definitely a hell lot crashes as compared to Android

Not to mention the apps that do the same exact thing as another app. Such as the overflow of flappy bird games, design tiles apps, and wallpaper apps.

Last edited:

chowder908

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
There are overflow of many apps in Android too, not just windows, because Android has more developers

On Android market there are more games than on the WP store. The flappy bird games doesn't really make up much of the market. Last time I scrolled threw the games on WP store a good portion of them were flappy bird games.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Allow me to try to answer some of these:

1. No verity of apps

There are quite a big variety of apps but until recently very few official apps. But official doesn't mean better, by no means. Both 6sec and 6tag are better than the official Vine and Instagram apps (on Windows Phone mind you but still). Other than that, it's a fact that there are a lot of missing apps. But when an unofficial app doesn't fill the gap, I found that most of the time, the webapp does the trick (if available). On that note, I do suggest looking into an app called Webapps that allows you to pin webapps on the start screen as if they were actual apps. I love it.

2. Several crashes resulting in phone restarting.

That's not normal nor is it the norm. My phones haven't crashed more than an iPhone or Android phone. There was a problem with my first ever phone which was defective and was replaced with the same phone that worked perfectly well. You should get this issue checked out ASAP (before the 1 year manufacturer's warranty expires).

3. App crashes

Again that not normal nor is it the norm. Maybe it's the same problem than your point #3.

4. Gmail and other emails saying they are not up to date

What do you mean? In the default mail app?

5. Songs duplicate on SD card.

Now that I cannot explain nor defend. The Xbox Music app is still unacceptable in comparison to other platforms. Even Microsoft employees have said it should have been kept as a BETA version. That was a bad move. But it's getting better and better though.

These are just some of my issues I have had with these phones. Also, when I first got my windows phone I had to buy a new router because my old one wouldn't let my phone connect to the wifi.

That's hardly the phone's fault ;)

I lost a highschool senior year video memory because after it finished recording it wouldn't save and my phone just restarted.

That's sucks. But that's the kind of thing that could have happened with any phone. But if your phone crashes maybe it's a whole other problem.

Lastly, I wanted to build an app like I did with android, but it's impossible on Windows phone when you have to buy almost $200+ for phone, program, windows 8 64bit, pay to dev unlock your phone, and fee for uploading to the store, might explain why there isn't a verity of apps.

Actually, once you have the phone and Windows 8 you can do the rest for free, even dev unlocking your phone. But the only platform that doesn't require a specific OS for dev is Android. On iOS you have to be on OSx and on Windows Phone you have to be on Windows 8. It's part of the game.

These phones wouldn't be all that bad if it was easier to build apps. I hope these phones do well in the future, but right now they are not for me.

There is an easy way to develop basic apps yourself called the Windows App Studio. You can look into it here: Windows App Studio - Microsoft

I hope I covered your issues! :)

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
The problem isn't purchasing visual studio. The problem is having to buy all the extra stuff such as unlocking your phone & buying a copy of windows 8.1 if you're like me still running 7

There are unofficial ways to develop for WP8 on Windows 7 - check out XDA if I can find it ill update with a link

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss