Leaving Windows Phone after nearly 5 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Back at the tail end of 2010, Microsoft launched widnows phone 7 as we all know, which debuted on a range of phones from Samsung, LG, Dell and HTC, a few of which I bought. After reading up about them and trying one out at the time, I was convinced it was a completely fresh approach to mobile operating systems, coming from android which was laggy and not nice to use. Since then I have been through 8 windows phone, currently on a 1520 which I have had for 18 months, which is now getting tired, as in the battery isn't holding its charge and the screen is blotching quite badly, and also it is starting to lag and restart. Not particularly impressed don a ?500 phone at only 18 months old considering I baby my phones and it has been in a pouch and screen protector all its life, but oh well.

As there is no replacement to the 1520, and the closest is the 940 which doesn't offer anything else my 1520 does, I am moving to android, in particular, the LG G4 which I have just ordered. Getting quite bored with windows phone now and annoyed and confused as to why Microsoft has reversed its marketing approach, initially only focusing on mid to high end devices, now all they are doing is offering low to mid range devices and certainly no phablets.

Not that the G4 is a phablet, but for a "standard smartphone" a 5.5 inch display is large. I have used android 5.0 and it is leaps and bounds from when I lasted used android. The interface is a lot slicker even on LG's skin, more app choices which is really starting to show now against windows phone and the specs offered on the latest array of android devices are really impressive. I know a QHD display isn't necessary especially on a phones and it can hinder performance, but still very impressive. The phone itself looks nice in the brown leather option I have chosen and LG build quality tends to be excellent and better than Samsung.

I have always had a soft spot for LG products and epically their phones. My first phone was an LG flip up about 10 years ago now and I loved it. I had an Optimus 7 which I had for a while.

In short the reason why I am leaving is because there is no replacement to my phone in the windows phone market and not one in sight. I may very well come back to windows phone if I have to, but also these days, I just want a nice phone that does what I want it to, and I am not completely hung up "no pun intended) on smartphones as I used to be.

Maybe I have made a silly mistake, well I guess I will find out soon!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe you made a silly mistake, the reasons you have are sound.
And even if it turns out to be a mistake, from mistakes you learn:)
Lets us know in a month or so what your experience are.

Good luck and thanks for this post.

Gaurav Tyagi

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Didn't read your msg. Why people make threads like i am going, stop me from switching. Are we lawyers of MS or windows phones ?

This life is yours, so is the choice. Do whatever you want that makes you happy.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
To share their knowledge and reasons. Or just to sound off.
Why people respond to threads they don't understand?

There is a thread specifically for you to post that you're switching device. As well as threads for why you think WP will succeed, or what you think it needs to succeed. Plus those threads are stickied. Though I agree that his reasoning is sound, but this isn't the right place for the thread is all.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Didn't read your msg. Why people make threads like i am going, stop me from switching. Are we lawyers of MS or windows phones ?

This life is yours, so is the choice. Do whatever you want that makes you happy.

I don't think I am acting like a cry baby at all, just sharing my experience of windows phone. I have had them since they came out and know the system very well and it has been a very good OS to me but I want a change, but more so, MS are not catering for the phablet large screen devices, at least not right now.

I have been on WP central for nearly 3 years as well and I thought I would just come back and let people know who are interested what I am doing. If you are not interested or don't care then that is fine, no one is forcing you to care, but posting blunt pathetic posts like that is just not necessary. We are smartphone enthusiast, that is why we are on this forum.

Last edited:

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
another post saying they are leaving Windows phone, good for you , you had your reasons and only you know how they affected you, but seriously, creating new thread everytime anyone wants to leave windows doesnt make sense.After reading so many such posts, we know why are you guys leaving (lack of apps , lack of flagships etc) and there is no need to make new thread. Either move on ,as you please , or wait for some more time. Its really that easy ,isnt it?

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh for goodness sakes, really? Last time I made a thread on here was over a year ago. You knew what this was when you read the title. I don't care really. That is not what this community should be about. Does it really have to be that boring ? This in a windows phone forum. People make threads when they join and when they leave and give their reasons.

Cheer up for goodness sake.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
another post saying they are leaving Windows phone, good for you , you had your reasons and only you know how they affected you, but seriously, creating new thread everytime anyone wants to leave windows doesnt make sense.After reading so many such posts, we know why are you guys leaving (lack of apps , lack of flagships etc) and there is no need to make new thread. Either move on ,as you please , or wait for some more time. Its really that easy ,isnt it?

Then just don't read the post.
Adding useless remarks like your post brings nothing new.

The message in your post is the same as post 3, 4 and maybe 6 so just "thank" and or "like" these posts and move on.

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Then just don't read the post.
Adding useless remarks like your post brings nothing new.

The message in your post is the same as post 3, 4 and maybe 6 so just "thank" and or "like" these posts and move on.

Thats exactly my point for new threads on same matter. we understand they have same problems then just add comments there or just "thank" and "like" those posts and move on.

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Oh for goodness sakes, really? Last time I made a thread on here was over a year ago. You knew what this was when you read the title. I don't care really. That is not what this community should be about. Does it really have to be that boring ? This in a windows phone forum. People make threads when they join and when they leave and give their reasons.

Cheer up for goodness sake.

i dont have any problem with you making thread once a year or even if you dodaily, ofcourse this is a Forum and you have all the rights to make a new thread, i was just expecting you to understand that there is no point in making multiple threads.

good luck and have it in good spirit, enjoy

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I always thought the LG G3 looked really good for a large screen phone. Comparing it to the Iphone 6+ it was a much smaller phone with same size screen. I do not like the look of the new LG G4 though. It has become more bulky than its predecessor. LG does make great looking screens though. But honestly there is something about the Lumia 830 screen that makes it look so good. People are always weirded out by how good it looks. So I guess resolution isn't the only factor. Anyways, with the rumors showing something crazy brewing within Microsoft I don't mind waiting. The leak showing the glass wrapping around the edges looks interesting. Maybe they will make a really nice looking Surface phone.

I agree though Google is finally doing something better with Android. Android M is looking much slicker and I think it could really do something for Google. Speed is still an issue on android and it requires some really powerful phones. My friend has the HTC one m8 on lollipop and sometimes it lags. I can Imagine the HTC one M8 would be much faster on Windows. But google does recognize the speed issues and is definitely working on them. They also have that cool radar technology coming. This sort of crazy tech puts Microsoft to shame given how huge their R&D is. But we don't know what they have going in the back.

I'm actually willing to wait because this is the time when all the newest stuff will start showing up. It sucks buying old tech only to find out something game changing comes out. And if not? Well, when new stuff comes out the old stuff drops in prices. So it's a win-win for me to wait a bit. Like what if an OEM partner releases a Windows 10 phone that can dual boot into Android? Or Run android virtually within Windows 10? There's a bunch of possibilities. Not only that, there will be new Android phones coming out too. Google is working on a few things themselves that they will be releasing soon too.

So I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, but you didn't buy anything new, just the same thing that's a little beefed up. There could be a big change soon, especially with the new mobile intel chips. These chips will already be optimized for Windows and the same could be done for Android.

I bought the Lumia 830 while I wait. This way I get something nice and fresh to hold me over. At this point I don't need excessive power, is there really something in the Windows Store that requires a massively powerful phone? I haven't had issues with the Lumia 830 as of yet. All games have ran fine on it. The Camera is of top notch quality, beating all the Android Rivals as well as Iphone 6. Although I don't really use it too much. So I don't see why I would need something POWERFUL right now!

So yah I wouldn't buy new high-end phones at a point in time where a big shift in technology could happen.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it, and sound all down about Windows Phone, as I am not!!

What is many around here say......oh yea....."Just wait"......Just wait for Windows Phone 7 that will fix it all....Just wait for Windows Phone 8,,,,Now Just Wait for Windows 10 for Phone.......

The trouble is all this waiting is what is leading to the downward slide Windows Phone is now on.

Windows 10 PC/Tablet will release RTM in July, Windows 10 for Phone weeks after, and there will still be a wait after that for the first True Windows 10 Phone.
The whole "No Flagship Spec Phone" is leading to stuff like this.

Microsoft is doing it to their own Market share by not keeping at least 1 High End, 1 Mid Range, and 1 Low End each and every year.

If people had something to go to, you would see less of these posts. Good luck OP feel free to return when the LG reaches Life Cycle.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
At this moment, as an average user, the only reason i would consider a different platform is APPS, the funny part is, some apps on Windows phone are better than other platforms. a very simple example READIT! <- this is a monster app!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

What is many around here say......oh yea....."Just wait"......Just wait for Windows Phone 7 that will fix it all....Just wait for Windows Phone 8,,,,Now Just Wait for Windows 10 for Phone........

For me it's not really about waiting for Microsoft, but waiting to see what happens with technology and phones. This is that time where companies are trying to redefine themselves and do something that stands out. While many manufacturers may release phones consistently to keep with the market demand for high end phones they could also be doing something bigger in the background. I don't think there is as much of a need for a high powered phone on the Windows side of things. Android it definitely helps to have more power. So it's really about your needs. I don't think anyone truly needs the super powered phones that are out there. They offer no more than more processing power. There's nothing unique to them. If it had an iris scanner for example which requires the power, sure. In the case of LG, power definitely helps because of their high pixel density and large screen. But that's the most unique thing you are getting out of it. And at the expense of battery.

It sort of reminds me of the PC world where intel/nvidia and other companies would release the latest tech which was just more power. Unless you played high frame rate video games with everything set to max, it really wasn't needed. Only certain people really took advantage of these things, but users always wanted the latest and greatest. I'm a gamer and I'm happy with my GTX 670 which was once at the top, but it can still do really well, especially for me who plays only single player games. I don't feel any need to replace it, and if it was starting to go bad on me I would probably get something similar that's really cheap not the top end model.

I think people are addicted to having the latest and greatest even if it's just a bit of an upgrade from the previous one. I on the other hand will only go latest and greatest if there's a feature that really warrants it or if I think it will last me a at least a few years. So timing is important if you want your phone to last a few years. You don't buy it just before a big change. Not saying one will happen, but it seems like that's what companies are shooting for.

AshBayt

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

What is many around here say......oh yea....."Just wait"......Just wait for Windows Phone 7 that will fix it all....Just wait for Windows Phone 8,,,,Now Just Wait for Windows 10 for Phone.......

The trouble is all this waiting is what is leading to the downward slide Windows Phone is now on.

Windows 10 PC/Tablet will release RTM in July, Windows 10 for Phone weeks after, and there will still be a wait after that for the first True Windows 10 Phone.
The whole "No Flagship Spec Phone" is leading to stuff like this.

Microsoft is doing it to their own Market share by not keeping at least 1 High End, 1 Mid Range, and 1 Low End each and every year.

If people had something to go to, you would see less of these posts. Good luck OP feel free to return when the LG reaches Life Cycle.

People said that about Android and IOS. They are operating systems that existed longer than Windows Phone.
Of course it'll be fixed. Windows Phone 8 fixed WP7. WP8.1 fixed WP8. WM10 will fix WP8.1. And so on and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise