Case-Mate

Xtian80

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I got the Case-Mate case installed today...I put this in another thread but I figured I'd just post this here...

I just got that case in the mail today...installed. It is pretty cool, inside silicon sleeve with a harder outer shell that clips around it. It was a bit tough to install, but it feels awesome. Doesn't add very much weight or thickness but makes it seem more sturdy. I don't feel like i'm going to snap it in half. Let me know if you have any questions about the case and I will do my best to answer them. BTW there is a 25% off coupon for online orders at AT&T, so the case was actually like $36, still expensive but I like to have my phones in cases.

anon(5324511)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I got the case too and it is hard as **** to get that hard outer shell on, anyway to make that easier. If i slide one side in then the other side doesn't fit all the way down. Plus once I do have it on, the buttons are extremely sensitive. I can just barely pick it up and the phone turns on or the camer starts snapping pictures and what not....I just don't use it right now unless I am just installing it incorrectly or mine is just a busted case!! =)

Xtian80

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I agree, it is too hard to install and it just doesn't seem to fit right. I'm thinking I'm taking this case back to AT&T. I just wish there was another hard case option. I hate the just silicon cases, they slide around too much. hopefully someone will release another option for us

ScubaSteve2

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I get my case in today. With a $45 list price it better fit like a glove. I will report back with my thoughts when I get it in.
I just got the case-mate tough case in for the Focus S. I like it a lot so far. It definitely makes the phone easier to grip/handle.

It was a little difficult to get the hard outer shell on. But what I did was to put the outer shell on starting with the side with the two buttons (power, and camera) and made sure that those were aligned, then I worked it on the side with the volume rocker. I could not get it to snap directly on if you will, you definitely have to wiggle that on and align it, but it does go on correctly.

Yes the buttons may be a little more sensitive, however, they are also hidden away a little bit because of the hard outer shell, which makes it much harder to accidentally press them. My only complaint with the buttons with the case on is with the camera button, not that I accidentally hit it, just that, you lose the first stage (aka the light press), of the button, since there is enough pressure on the button, that that seems to always be depressed to the first stage. But the only thing you lose with that is the ability to focus using the button. I generally use the screen, for focusing anyways, so it is not that big of a deal to me.

Overall, a very solid case, and for any of the complainers about build quality of the phone, this completely alleviates those complaints, since it feels really solid with it on. I definitely prefer the feel of the phone with the case on, since it just feels more secure in your hands, and in the event that you do drop it, it should not be a problem since it is fully protected.

ScubaSteve2

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
It is exactly the same look as the Galaxy SII. So go to YouTube and search for the case-mate tough case for the galaxy s2 and that should give you a good idea of what it looks like.

K1NJO

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes the buttons may be a little more sensitive, however, they are also hidden away a little bit because of the hard outer shell, which makes it much harder to accidentally press them. My only complaint with the buttons with the case on is with the camera button, not that I accidentally hit it, just that, you lose the first stage (aka the light press), of the button, since there is enough pressure on the button, that that seems to always be depressed to the first stage. But the only thing you lose with that is the ability to focus using the button. I generally use the screen, for focusing anyways, so it is not that big of a deal to me.

I had this same problem too. To fix this, all you need to do is file down the thickness of the plastic surrounding the camera button hole. This should reduce the pressure being placed on the camera button and you'll be able to use the 2-stage button press again.

I also noticed that doing this made the battery last longer. The constant pressure on the camera button in 1st stage was eating up my battery life.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I will check this case out. I have a Ventev case, but it doesn't fit my needs real well. I really appreciate Scuba Steve and K1njo taking the time to give us a heads up on it!! I need a serious case. I am a klutz, AND I work in an industrial job. That adds up to a lot of bad ju-ju for my Focus S......

ScubaSteve2

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I posted in another thread how you can just place a thin piece of folded paper on each side of the camera button, then carefully put the case on and that fixes the issue of the case pressing in the camera button.

slpaige

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the casemate barely there case and so far I like it. Just enough protection to keep the case from getting all scratched up while not adding alot of bulk. I'll try to post a picture later today if I find the chance.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
AT&T's business website was offering both the red and black tough cases and blue barely there case (all from Case-Mate) for $5 each. So I bought all three and here are my thoughts.

The best looking one, to me, is the red/black tough case. The blue barely there is nice, but the one I got must have gotten bent in shipping, because when I put it on it doesn't look "straight". I'll probably never use this case, but oh well.

The tough cases do cause the camera focus to stay constantly depressed, which causes battery drain and causes the screen to come on randomly, even if the "disable unlocking the device if camera is pushed" option is enabled.

The way I fixed it was I took an exacto knife, and cut off the rubber around where the camera key would go. This immediately fixed the problem. I can still use the camera button, though it is a bit harder to press. The whole reason I bought the case, though, was to prevent hitting the camera button every time I pulled the phone out of my pocket. So this works great for me.

If you're comfortable cutting off the rubber where the camera button goes, I definitely recommend the red/black tough case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05