A good earphone with mic

mmaheshwary

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I used to use a pair of sonys with mic and vol control that were very comfortable and worked well with my iphone, and they were quite cheap (< $20). Unfortunately the mic and remote part doesn't work with my Lumia900. I use the mic and remote pretty heavily, and miss this functionality. Are there any decent but inexpensive earphones that I can use with the lumia?

lhickam

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I used to use a pair of sonys with mic and vol control that were very comfortable and worked well with my iphone, and they were quite cheap (< $20). Unfortunately the mic and remote part doesn't work with my Lumia900. I use the mic and remote pretty heavily, and miss this functionality. Are there any decent but inexpensive earphones that I can use with the lumia?
i am having quite a problem finding a reliable pair of headphones where the pause/play in line functionality works all the time. iPhone headphones were a no go. I had a pair of sony earbuds that I liked a lot but the inline didnt work at all.

So I went out and bought a pair of iFrogz... which were said to work online. There appear to be some weird glitches with them though:

- Any streaming audio works fine all of the time with the pause/play, even when the phone is asleep. Including streaming from apps like iheartradio, slacker, or zune.
- Any music or podcasts downloaded to my phone work fine while not asleep ie) active or on lock screen. When the phone is asleep, play/pause stops working.

It seems like I am not the only one having these issues as people with the official Purity headphones are experiencing it as well. I hope this is something that Nokia can fix in the near future as I really need this functionality for while I am at work.

mmaheshwary

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
i am having quite a problem finding a reliable pair of headphones where the pause/play in line functionality works all the time. iPhone headphones were a no go. I had a pair of sony earbuds that I liked a lot but the inline didnt work at all.

So I went out and bought a pair of iFrogz... which were said to work online. There appear to be some weird glitches with them though:

- Any streaming audio works fine all of the time with the pause/play, even when the phone is asleep. Including streaming from apps like iheartradio, slacker, or zune.
- Any music or podcasts downloaded to my phone work fine while not asleep ie) active or on lock screen. When the phone is asleep, play/pause stops working.

It seems like I am not the only one having these issues as people with the official Purity headphones are experiencing it as well. I hope this is something that Nokia can fix in the near future as I really need this functionality for while I am at work.

One of the biggest reasons I loved my iphone was for the great podcast/music functionality when combined with a pair of earbuds with mic and remote. Also the reason I didn't go with an Android because it didn't seem like there was any kind of standardization for this stuff. WP, I had thought, was different, and would behave more like iOS. Very disappointed.

ATT lists the Skullcandy FIX earbuds as compatible. T-Mobile lists them compatible with Lumia710 as well. Can any Lumia 710/900 owners confirm their experience?

lhickam

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
One of the biggest reasons I loved my iphone was for the great podcast/music functionality when combined with a pair of earbuds with mic and remote. Also the reason I didn't go with an Android because it didn't seem like there was any kind of standardization for this stuff. WP, I had thought, was different, and would behave more like iOS. Very disappointed.

ATT lists the Skullcandy FIX earbuds as compatible. T-Mobile lists them compatible with Lumia710 as well. Can any Lumia 710/900 owners confirm their experience?

i actually really like the software in WP7 for podcasts. Being able to subscribe on your phone, set it to keep a certain number of recent episodes before deleting and marking them as played automatically is really awesome. I also love that as soon as it hits wifi when I'm home it downloads them automatically. I have not had to 'manage' my podcasts since setting them up once at the start of the week.. much better than using iTunes every night before work (I work graveyard).

BUT... the big killer for me is finding a pair of headphones that have all the functionality I need. If I could confirm that these Nokia Monster headphones work perfectly even when the phone is asleep I would bite the bullet and just spend the 100 bucks.. seeing as I am getting 100 credit from Nokia anyways.

Hopefully someone in here can come in and say that they have a pair that work perfectly and sound great.

CHEERS.

mmaheshwary

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
i actually really like the software in WP7 for podcasts. Being able to subscribe on your phone, set it to keep a certain number of recent episodes before deleting and marking them as played automatically is really awesome. I also love that as soon as it hits wifi when I'm home it downloads them automatically. I have not had to 'manage' my podcasts since setting them up once at the start of the week.. much better than using iTunes every night before work (I work graveyard).

BUT... the big killer for me is finding a pair of headphones that have all the functionality I need. If I could confirm that these Nokia Monster headphones work perfectly even when the phone is asleep I would bite the bullet and just spend the 100 bucks.. seeing as I am getting 100 credit from Nokia anyways.

Hopefully someone in here can come in and say that they have a pair that work perfectly and sound great.

CHEERS.

Yeah, the automatic downloads to podcast subscriptions on the phone is one thing I like in the WP zune player. Of course, why that subscription is completely separate from podcast subscription on the Zune desktop player is beyond me.

Even if I was willing to plunk down a benjamin on a pair of earphones, I still wouldn't buy the Nokia earphones. I hate the ear canal style of earbuds which is so popular nowadays. This is why I went to substantial lengths to track down a pair of sonys that didn't have that kind of earbuds but still had a remote and a mic, but also had much better sound quality than the overpriced Apple earbuds. I guess I am especially crabby because sonys fit my ears really well, which is why I have 3 pairs of them attached to different computers and devices. If someone can find me a decent adapter (I couldn't) for the jack so I can plugin my iphone-compatible sonys into the Lumia, I will happily pay for it.

Last edited:

lhickam

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the automatic downloads to podcast subscriptions on the phone is one thing I like in the WP zune player. Of course, why that subscription is completely separate from podcast subscription on the Zune desktop player is beyond me.

Agreed. But the only time I will ever hook up my phone to the PC is to dump music on or off the device... which is great. I never want to have to hook it up or sync it for podcasts or apps again.

Also.. in looking at other threads on this forum it seems some people say the in ear nokia monster purity headphones work fine but the on ear ones are sporadic with the controls. But then somebody else chimes in and says his in ear are sporadic... so frustrating that I can't just buy a pair of comfortable and functional headphones.

I hate to say it but this is a deal breaker for my own personal use. I will give it a couple weeks to try and find a pair.. but if I can't I will be returning the Lumia and going back to my iPhone 4 for now.

mmaheshwary

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

I hate to say it but this is a deal breaker for my own personal use. I will give it a couple weeks to try and find a pair.. but if I can't I will be returning the Lumia and going back to my iPhone 4 for now.

Yeah, I am on the fence for the same reason, and waiting until my 30 days for the same reason.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
lumia purity in-ears work perfect; yes they are $99 but hey, you just got a $100 credit on your at&t bill, you're still ahead by $1 ;)

lhickam

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
lumia purity in-ears work perfect; yes they are $99 but hey, you just got a $100 credit on your at&t bill, you're still ahead by $1 ;)
I just ordered them from amazon.. should have them on Tuesday. At least if I have problems with them I have 30 days to return.

I am unsure if I will get the 100 dollars credit from Nokia though as I bought my phone through Amazon Wireless when it was on the cheap for 19.99... does that matter?

peebeeandjay

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
So far, no lucky earbud hits

The kind folks at the local Best Buy and Target were kind enough to look the other way yesterday while I physically attached 14 different pairs of earbuds to my L900 and.....0-14. I was hoping one of the random buds would work, at least the >$15 ones, but I think we're all going to have to spring for the Puritys, or wait till 3rd party manufacturers specifically address our device.

lhickam

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
The kind folks at the local Best Buy and Target were kind enough to look the other way yesterday while I physically attached 14 different pairs of earbuds to my L900 and.....0-14. I was hoping one of the random buds would work, at least the >$15 ones, but I think we're all going to have to spring for the Puritys, or wait till 3rd party manufacturers specifically address our device.
That was nice of them.. but gross for whoever buys those headphones.. haha. Anyways.. I will post here on Tuesday or Monday when I get the headphones to let everyone know if they work perfectly or if I experience issues with the Purity in ears as well. I will just have to deal with no controls the next few nights.

Cheers.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
well, the comedy continues

I just got back from the gym and my nokia in-ears are performing exactly like the on-ears, that is, fine when the phone is unlocked or locked but lockscreen on, but when it's locked and asleep, it works about 30% of the time. This is after the Nokia update that was released a few hours ago. I am positive they were working great before: I went to the gym yesterday and they worked great.

I'm really not sure what to say at this point. I went thru something similar with my Focus S, and now this. I love my 900, but I listen to music all the time with whatever phone I'm using. I'll keep testing but this is very frustrating.

mmaheshwary

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I went to two AT&T yesterday to see if a sales person might have an idea, but I guess I was expecting too much. They didn't know which ones will work, but when I told one about the Nokia ones, he had the notion I use the $100 credit for those earbuds.

diod123

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

I just got back from the gym and my nokia in-ears are performing exactly like the on-ears, that is, fine when the phone is unlocked or locked but lockscreen on, but when it's locked and asleep, it works about 30% of the time. This is after the Nokia update that was released a few hours ago. I am positive they were working great before: I went to the gym yesterday and they worked great.

I'm really not sure what to say at this point. I went thru something similar with my Focus S, and now this. I love my 900, but I listen to music all the time with whatever phone I'm using. I'll keep testing but this is very frustrating.
I have the same issue - you should put a post in the stickied glitch thread. I think its a phone issue, not the headphones, so we might be able to get a fix if enough people post.

lhickam

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

well that's great.. I have the headphones coming in the mail on Monday or Tuesday... I guess I might just send them back without opening them.

We need a fix for this ASAP.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, while I was at the gym this morning the controller worked a decent amount of time, though sometimes when I pressed twice for next song, it just paused the music instead. I'm pretty unhappy with this situation, especially considering that before the update it was working fine, so I know it can work. Also, on my original Focus I had no issues. I really don't want to go back to bluetooth, but I listen to music all the time with my phone, whether it be at the gym or playing poker, so this is a pretty big deal for me.

lhickam

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, while I was at the gym this morning the controller worked a decent amount of time, though sometimes when I pressed twice for next song, it just paused the music instead. I'm pretty unhappy with this situation, especially considering that before the update it was working fine, so I know it can work. Also, on my original Focus I had no issues. I really don't want to go back to bluetooth, but I listen to music all the time with my phone, whether it be at the gym or playing poker, so this is a pretty big deal for me.
Got my Nokia Purity in ear's in the mail today. They have the same problem as other headphones that I have tried. The pause/play functionality stops reliably working when the phone is asleep.. works about 20% of the time.

Everything works fine on the lock screen and when the phone is active... really upsetting.

Fortunately I really like the headphones and might keep them anyways.. but I hope Nokia has a response about fixing this issue soon.. or I will have to return the phone.

mmaheshwary

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Got my Nokia Purity in ear's in the mail today. They have the same problem as other headphones that I have tried. The pause/play functionality stops reliably working when the phone is asleep.. works about 20% of the time.

Everything works fine on the lock screen and when the phone is active... really upsetting.

Fortunately I really like the headphones and might keep them anyways.. but I hope Nokia has a response about fixing this issue soon.. or I will have to return the phone.

good to know. I guess i will continue to wait.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people ask this same question and I have struggled with it, myself. I even asked Windows Phone support on their twitter feed. There isn't really a standard you can look for to know what will work. And pulling the trigger for $50-$100 on headphones that may work is tough.

That's why I started this thread to try to pull other people's experiences to have a better idea of what might work with a given Windows Phone.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/bluetooth-devices-universal-phone-accessories/189750.htm

pgoth

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a pair of BrookStone - not sure of the model but they only have the pause music/hangup-connect phone in the mic. They work fine. Coinsidering the Lumia earbuds - but not quite yet. - The Cyan ones are on back order at Amazon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs