Jbl powerup speaker

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So I just picked one up today and I gotta say it is very nice. But for the price, I'm a bit disappointed. The sound is good but it does sound a bit hollow. And if you push the sound up to the upper 20's, you can hear a hiss. It ain't bad but you can hear it.

It has decent base, and the range is good. What I'm really disappointed about is the alarm clock AP doesn't play on the speaker. I was hoping to replace my alarm clock. Any suggestions?

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite happy with mine. Picked it up at the Verizon.com for 50 bucks less than AT&T. The volume can get quite loud with minimal distortion and the bass is solid without being overbearing. The design and size are also better than I expected, I thought it would be physically bigger. I haven't noticed any hissing at higher volumes, but I also haven't had occasion to blast it much so far.

Love tapping to connect and also to disconnect, great for when I want to leave the room and not have the speakers be the audio source yet still am in BT range. Used to have to turn off BT now I just tap the phone to disconnect and tap again when I get back. The phone does get a little hotter charging on the speaker than in the charging plate or dock.

As far as I can tell I can't find a way to output audio to other speakers, only audio in

Also I looked at the Amazon entries, pretty sure they are mislabeled and the one for $150 is the portable JBL PlayUp speakers and not the PowerUps

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
That's BC the amazon one for $150 is mislabeled. They do have the JBL powerup for around the same price as att&verizon. But they also have the 150 entry that is labeled jbl powerup but is in fact the portable jbl playups which lack wireless charging but have a battery to take on the go

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me where to get the PlayUp (not PowerUp)? I can't find it anywhere in the USA, even on Amazon. It's not available anywhere. Thanks.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
just unboxed mine today. My initial impressions:

+ sound quality is very good. Fills a medium size room (15' x 15') at low volume. Bass is a little too strong at louder volumes.
+ NFC pairing is great. Tap to play, tap to disconnect.
+ Charging is functional, and very nice to have on top of the speakers. The lights around the landing pad area are useful and pretty cool looking.
+ bluetooth pairing is easy. I have it paired to a nearby Windows 8 tablet. Sound quality is very good. Range is farther than I expected - my phone stays paired ~20 feet away.

- The device plays very loud sounds when turning on, turning off and when enabling bluetooth pairing. The volume level of the sounds seems independent of the actual volume you set for playing music. This is really bad if you want to use the speakers in a quiet location, for example by your bedside to fall asleep with. Tonight when the unit shut down due to inactivity, the jarring sound was loud enough that my son came in from his room and asked what the noise was (it was after bedtime). I'm looking for a way to disable these sounds, but the instructions that came with the speakers are very limited.

trtegreeny

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised at how hard it is to find these things for sale. It seems the only places are the ATT and Verizon websites. I'm going to check my local Microsoft store today and hope they have it. I was hoping to get it through Best Buy for rewards points.

hwalker84

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I received one for Christmas and it's by far the best speaker dock I've ever had. I agree with mlekas the pairing volume is really loud and independent of the speaker volume.

Another thing I've noticed is when it shuts itself off automatically it reverts back to a default volume level. Which is several notches higher than what I play it at in the office.

Ryan Nichol

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I am very interested yet weary with these speakers in the UK they are quite alot more expensive than the ones in the US would there be any difference if i bought one from USA and got it delivered instead? can anyone answer thanks

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised at how hard it is to find these things for sale. It seems the only places are the ATT and Verizon websites. I'm going to check my local Microsoft store today and hope they have it. I was hoping to get it through Best Buy for rewards points.

Yep, I've had no luck finding the JBL speaker anywhere but on AT&T and Verizon's web sites. Verizon only in black, and AT&T in black and cyan. I wanted a white one, but haven't found any. Amazon lists all three colors, but they've been out of stock for weeks now and they don't know when they're getting more in (I asked). I may just end up getting a black one from Verizon since they sell it for $50 less than AT&T. You folks that have one, do you think it's worth it?

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I am very interested yet weary with these speakers in the UK they are quite alot more expensive than the ones in the US would there be any difference if i bought one from USA and got it delivered instead? can anyone answer thanks

I guess the main difference would be the power plug. The plug and current here are different than in the UK, so you'd need an adapter. This speaker does have to be plugged in to work (it's not portable). Other than that, I wouldn't think anything else would be different. Of course you'll have to factor in shipping costs to the UK (which can be quite high), and the possibility of having to pay customs duty in th UK.

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I've had no luck finding the JBL speaker anywhere but on AT&T and Verizon's web sites. Verizon only in black, and AT&T in black and cyan. I wanted a white one, but haven't found any. Amazon lists all three colors, but they've been out of stock for weeks now and they don't know when they're getting more in (I asked). I may just end up getting a black one from Verizon since they sell it for $50 less than AT&T. You folks that have one, do you think it's worth it?

What's the normal price? I was in a AT&T store yesterday and they had one on display but I believe the price was $299, I thought they were cheaper than this??

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What's the normal price? I was in a AT&T store yesterday and they had one on display but I believe the price was $299, I thought they were cheaper than this??

$299 appears to be the normal price. Amazon also lists it for $299, though they don't have any in stock. Verizon Wireless sells the black one for $249 though. That's the cheapest I've seen it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss