Nokia CR-200 wireless charging car holder feedback?

TraciLords

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
LOL!!
I had the same problems.
I installed mine this afternoon.
And I discovered the same exact things;
1) I had forgotten to turn on NFC.
2) It doesn't work by simply inserting the phone into the cradle, you have to tap the top of the phone to the bottom of the holder before inserting the phone into the cradle. And then press accept.

As for location, I placed mine on the windshield. Top left hand corner out of my line of sight.
Time will tell if it falls off in hot weather.
Has any one else noticed how shaky the thing is while driving?

There is some good news.
The cradle fits the 920 with an Otterbox Commuter case!
And the wireless charging still works.

There is some sad news.
I ordered mine from Clove UK.
The webpage says they wouldn't have stock for another few days, so I was surprized when it shipped out within 24 hours.
Then when I looked at the box, and unpacked the unit, I realized I had received a used unit.
Has anyone else who ordered from Clove received a used unit?

Ian Datson

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Grrrr, bloody thing wouldn't pair this morning when I went to work. Deleted it from the accessories and now it won't even see it! Turned off NFC and turned it back on again, reset phone, checked the wires etc, nothing!

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The lack of OS-wide landscape orientation support kind of hobbles the otherwise cool "car app" that Nokia made to go with this charger. And the need to approve NFC actions also dampens things somewhat. And it sounds like you need to choose between NFC/sensor alignment or blocked buttons. Otherwise this looks like a perfect piece of kit.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Would have been very cool if the car app could turn on the microphone so you wouldn't need to press any buttons. If Kinect can have persistent microphone, why not my Lumia 920? I guess I need to get a 3rd party integrated Bluetooth stereo that somehow links to my existing steering wheel controls.

coldsteelcures

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the 928 and got the CR-200 from UK 2 weeks ago. What a pain this thing is. You have to tap the top of phone before putting in cradle, the stupid ball is attached to the back of it so you can't really use any other mounting method other than the suction cup without modifying the base. The side grip hits the camera button so it turns on when you press it on there (granted it wasn't loisted for the 928) so I am cutting about 1/4" off the rubber molding. Then its not even automatically loaded...I have to accept it? Really Nokia? Why would I put the phone in a Car cradle, download the app, put settings to launch my favorite apps on NFC contact with the CR200 if I didn't want it to launch immediately?

All in all the materials and constructions are top notch. Use and functionality in a practical world are **** poor and I wonder if I would be better off getting a $10 Pep Boys holder....I have wired it to the back of my dash so no its too much of a pain to taker apart and send back...lol

My Motorola car cradle was great and the car function launched as soon as I put the phone in but it was bulky and got I way of some AC controlsd. This thing is slimmer but not so great. I would give it a 3/5

pdjcrawford

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
My CR-200 arrived (Canada via Mobilefun) and I really like it. For disclosure sake I was much more interested in the Qi charging than anything else so I might not be as particular as others here.

My 920 fits securely in the charger, and it's permanently encased in a Speck case. The grip fits nicely between the camera and power buttons. Yes, the NFC requires an annoying amount of precision to pair with the charger, as others have pointed out, but I suspect I'll get better at it. It would have been a lot simpler to have NFC triggered when placing the phone on the cradle. The app that it launches is one that I recall installing on my 900 in the short time I used that, and I didn't know it was even on the 920. Big buttons, easy to use while driving. I only have use for Nokia Drive+ personally and having this charger/holder makes me realize (again) how limited Drive+ is without live traffic and Commute.

I stuck the unit to the dash directly, without use of the extra base part. It's on quite securely but time will tell how easily it's transferable between vehicles. The main power cord is plenty long enough for any setup I can imagine, and it comes with an extension that I swear would be able to connect my dash to my trunk! The clips to secure the wire around the various fun parts of the console suck -- they stick to nothing -- but I'm sure I can find some outside agent to assist with that.

The cigarette lighter plugin (do people still call it that??) has a USB port on it, allowing the simultaneous use of both the CR-200 and any other device connected via USB. I didn't read the specs beforehand so this was a pleasant surprise.

I have noted that the phone sometimes becomes quite heated while in the charger. I also have noted that inconsistently with my array of DT-900 chargers.

All in all I'm very satisfied with the CR-200. I have developed a fairly unhealthy devotion to not having to plug something into my phone to charge it and this pretty much completes my setup.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
he app that it launches is one that I recall installing on my 900 in the short time I used that, and I didn't know it was even on the 920. Big buttons, easy to use while driving.

any idea where to get this app ?? i use NFC tags in the car for maps & music but the big button app would be much better

pdjcrawford

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
any idea where to get this app ?? i use NFC tags in the car for maps & music but the big button app would be much better

My apologies. It turns out the app I was remembering was Nokia Car Mode for Symbian. My E7-00 was the last in a long line of Symbian devices pre-Windows Phone. I don't know now if such a creature exists for WP 7.x.

Aki Tuovinen

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, works nicely on charging , but anyone has any ideas how how come automatic application opening doesn't work. NFC on my Lumia 920 poorly connects to CR-200, I have only once succesfully paired them when I adding device (applications / settings / add device). I have NFC ON on my Lumia, but tapping or mounting to CR-200 doesnt automatically open the CR-200 app. So does it need some special tapping area or what?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, works nicely on charging , but anyone has any ideas how how come automatic application opening doesn't work. NFC on my Lumia 920 poorly connects to CR-200, I have only once succesfully paired them when I adding device (applications / settings / add device). I have NFC ON on my Lumia, but tapping or mounting to CR-200 doesnt automatically open the CR-200 app. So does it need some special tapping area or what?

It won't open up automatically. Windows Phone specifically triggers a user prompt to confirm the NFC action. Then again, if apps could just do anything they wanted on NFC without using the user prompt, then a person who is less than savoury could easily go ping their personal info stealer on an NFC enabled device and steal somebody's identity with it.

coldsteelcures

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
update: finally got fed up with the suction cup look. It worked fine and it really is the best suction cup holder I have ever used. I just like things to look like they are integrated in the car. I took my KUDA mount and drilled a 1/8inch hole in the middle then took the back suction cup holder assembly apart. Well made BTW nothing glued or cheap there. All fine plastic strong and bolted together. I took off the assembly until all that was left was a plastic stem. I put some 3m double sided trim tape to the back of it and used the drilled hole on the KUDA stand as a guide. Fits like its factory made at the perfect spot on my dash. Leather matches rest of car perfectly, no wires hanging..everything looks great. Only downside is I can't turn the cradle horizontal...but I never use it in that mode anyway.

Toshin

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if its possible to use the camera while charging in the cradle?
With the OSI, i assume it should even remove most of the shakes from the recording.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Make sure you have the screen on when you 'tap' to activate NFC.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I just received my CR-200 from Clove UK and used it in my car all day using CoPilot GPS.

I've seen some people saying that you have to tap a button on the top of the charger to get it to charge. Not for me at least. It charges the instant I lay it down.

+Has enough juice to charge while using Nav with Internet Sharing turned on.
(There was just a slight bit of charging needed after an hour. Like a minute or so and it was back to full charge once I quit the GPS app.)
-The phone gets a bit warm from using it this way.

Not a bad device. Now I feel like wireless charging is required in my car now.

WP_20130708_002.jpg

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I really wish the "Car Mode" part of the Accessories app would let you choose built-in apps (aka Xbox Music, not Nokia Music). Not that I have a CR-200 but I programmed an NFC tag to act as one to see if it was worth the money, and the no built-in apps thing feels like a pretty big limitation.

anon(5354555)

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Got mine today from MobileFun based in Brooklyn? Anyway, works great but I do have some reservation about suction cup mounts....they suck ( ha ha ha). I may have to look at a more permanent mount if I don't get it to stick. You in the US can buy it from Mobilefun for about $79 including shipping (Royal Mail International)

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I really wish the "Car Mode" part of the Accessories app would let you choose built-in apps (aka Xbox Music, not Nokia Music). Not that I have a CR-200 but I programmed an NFC tag to act as one to see if it was worth the money, and the no built-in apps thing feels like a pretty big limitation.

Very strange that you can't make Xbox Music one of the quick launches. I can select almost every other app as far as I can tell (Waze, Pandora, Podcast Lounge). The bigger issue for me is the lack of OS-wide landscape support, which forces me to use the app in portrait mode (which I do not prefer).

lance_mangold

May 31, 2013
Visit site
So, just got my grubby mits on one of these. Wasn't too hard. As I am from the US I couldn't find this anywhere. Happened to be in MBK mall Bangkok this week and one of the Nokia stores there had one, about $80.

Have to admit, not too pleased so far. As I'm not home yet I can only assume it wirelessly charges properly but as others have pointed out, that is only half the battle. I've messed with it a bit and the NFC is intermittent and the damn rubber clamps hit buttons no matter which way you put it in. So, some manual mods will be happening. Even with that, it seems loose in horizontal mode.

Willing to eat the cost of this dock if Waze comes out and a better dock, third party or not, becomes available.

I'll post more after I get back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon